• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Good read from BBR

Jeremy Igo

19 minutes ago, The_Rainmaker said:

Now get this man another TE  opposite of him to do little bit more of the Dirty work and he could be putting up even bigger numbers!

Can you imagine if we had drafted Hunter Henry? Olsen and Henry might be a better duo than Olsen and Shockey. I like Butler just fine, but if our run defense is going to be terrible we might as well have an unstoppable offense.

9 minutes ago, Kindawack said:

Can you imagine if we had drafted Hunter Henry? Olsen and Henry might be a better duo than Olsen and Shockey. I like Butler just fine, but if our run defense is going to be terrible we might as well have an unstoppable offense.

I did imagine it back before the draft I still can't believe we picked Butler especially since it was strong DT class could have picked a DY later on in the draft. fuging Gettleman has ruined a lot of things,  If we win the SB hope his fat ass retires. 

Well if this season does end up going down the sh*tter for the team I hope Greggy gets that TE receiving yards season record. He's still only 31, I hope he'll keep playing here for another 5 years. Considering his iron man status I'd absolutely say he's the best TE in football right now. Gronk's a better blocker and same at receiving but with his injury issues year in and year out I couldn't possibly take him over Greg.

6 minutes ago, The_Rainmaker said:

I did imagine it back before the draft I still can't believe we picked Butler especially since it was strong DT class could have picked a DY later on in the draft. fuging Gettleman has ruined a lot of things,  If we win the SB hope his fat ass retires. 

Yeah, I really wanted to draft Henry, but even in my wildest imagination, I didn't think he would play as well as he is right now. Hunter Henry might go down as the best offensive player picked in the 2016 draft(overstatement), at least receivers as Elliot is making a great case for overall. 

There were plenty of DT's with better measurables than Butler available later in the draft, and with Butler not getting much playing time we might as well have taken a project to develop behind Star and KK. If we have a losing record this season I might want Gettleman to retire. He has failed to solidify the trenches despite it being is number one priority year after year, the ends and the tackles are so weak, and it has been that way following 2013. 

7 hours ago, Kindawack said:

I wish,  hes looking really good for the chargers . But gettleman loves drafting dts even though we picked up soliai and its our 2nd strongest position group

2 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

He did solidify the trenches, you dingbat. We had 66 sacks last season and our interior guards were straight up killing DTs. I don't know else you could ask for? Starting tackles and pass rushers are extremely hard to find.

In addition, it's not G-Man's fault that KK decided to have an off year and Ealy continues to be a brat. 

First off I mentioned that our lines' weakness lies at the ends(defensive ends and tackles). Star, KK, Norwell, Kalil, and Turner are good players and I don't have a problem with them, though, they haven't all played that well this year mainly KK not living up to expectations. I remember having 66 sacks in 2013, but last year we had 44 sacks and 10.5 came from the lbs and secondary, that is not sustainable.

I don't blame Gettleman for not finding a great left tackle, that is very difficult to do where we have drafted in his tenure. But right tackles and defensive ends are possible to find, and in many cases, it is matter of simply spending draft capital which Gettleman has failed to do. Terron Armstead, Ryan Schrader, Rick Wagner, and Rob Havenstein are examples of tackles picked in the second round or later since Gettleman got here, that have excelled. I think our offensive line coaches do a good job but you have to give them capital to work with and besides Williams, we haven't drafted any tackles. In terms of defensive ends, I think it's easier to find suitable candidates in the draft than you imply.  Guys like Danielle Hunter(really liked him in the draft), Devin Taylor(Gamecocks fans will know), William Gholston, and Demarcus Lawrence have all been available after the first round, drafting these kind of guys provides your team with options. I like Ealy, but when your bread and butter is getting defensive line pressure you need to draft more than one end in three drafts. It's not just about finding depth but good backups who can actually get pressure as well, and not settling for mediocre. Good teams churn the bottom of the roster to create competition and hopefully find gems, you can't rest on your laurels in the NFL, if you aren't getting better you are getting worse. 

4 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

He did solidify the trenches, you dingbat. We had 66 sacks last season and our interior guards were straight up killing DTs. I don't know else you could ask for? Starting tackles and pass rushers are extremely hard to find.

In addition, it's not G-Man's fault that KK decided to have an off year and Ealy continues to be a brat. 

That was not the case under Marty Hurney. Gross, Wharton, Otah, Peppers, Wallace, Johnson, and Hardy. He had DE and OT covered in his first 2 years as GM. 

Gettleman needs to take credit for KK. The only action that would undercut the value of the KK pick is if Gettleman does not retain him at the end of his rookie contract. That would be an admission that he does not see KK as a franchise player. As for Ealy, he has always been trash with an occasional flash. He was a wasted pick from the start, and most of us knew that. That second round pick should have been used on a WR to compliment KB or an OT.

This year's first round pick should have been used on Hunter Henry or a DE.

35 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Whoa whoa whoa, some of those guys were extremely risky to draft. I mean, Armstead came from a small school. The only reason he stood out was because of his athleticism. That's it. The Taints gambled and won. In most cases guys like those don't really break into the starting positions much less the 53 man roster. Remember Campbell? He had good numbers athletically, all the size and mean looks in the world... but he never owned a single DE.

Again, I think most of our issues this season stem from coaching, not lack of talent. Oher did more than fine last season and so did Ealy. Short was an All-Pro and Turner was a Pro-Bowler. This season, however, neither one has looked remotely interested. It's unfortunate. You really think we'd be having this discussion if Ealy and Short weweren't underwhelming, and our offense wasn't stuck on Benjamin and Olsen? 

This team can still turn it around to a respectable season but I'm getting the feeling that no one cares outside Davis, Luke, Kalil and Olsen.

Yeah, they were all risks, but you have to take risks to stay afloat. I like a lot of the things Gettleman has done, but I don't like how often he trades away lower round picks. The are where you gamble the most on raw athletic talent, and hope that your coaches can develop them. Most of the players in the 4-7 round are pretty much coal, you'll be lucky if they can become good depth, but with the right talent and the right coaches you can make a diamond out of the rough. Look at teams like the Seahawks, they tend to always spend later picks on extremely athletic intelligent guys who made a positional change in college or  just started the sport so they are raw, however, their positional coaches do a great job and when stars leave they seemingly always have a more than capable backup. Imagine if Gettleman had spent more than one pick on the safety position in his 3 years, perhaps we wouldn't have to force Coleman into an unnatural Strong Safety role if we had a suitable candidate.

All that said I agree, we wouldn't be talking about this if we had better coaches. Last year everyone talked about how great our locker room was how it was Rivera's doing, however, this year shows that it had nothing to do with Rivera and everything to do with winning and having the right players. While I'm not sure anyone could make our defense great, I know our offense is underperforming due to Rivera and Shula's conservative maladaptive approach. Rivera might be the least aggressive coach I have ever seen, even after the Riverboat Ron moniker was born. Shula seemingly calls the dumbest most obvious plays at the worst time, every time, and I struggle to understand why our receivers are forced to run 15-30 yard routes on 3&6.

Archived