• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Avenged Sevenfold

dimbee

So, what you're saying is you don't know what "generic" means, Lt. Pinkerton....

Generic in that they aren't special enough to stick out to me.

But hey, everyone's taste in music is somewhat different. At least we aren't debating Nickelback or Creed or some poo band. A7x are at least talented in my eyes, and I respect them for that.

Hmm. Well I essentially disagree with everything you just said. Bass is quite prevalent in the Self Titled album. They even added 808 blasts for the "bottom drops out" effect. Scream is one song where the bass really shows up. In fact the bass makes it heavier since they don't tune way down or use massive amounts of distortion on rhythm guitar. The Rev is a good drummer when he chooses to be. Some songs are great, some are just groove oriented. As far as Shadows being an average vocalist, I'm not really sure how you come to that conclusion? There are VERY few vocalists that can do the things he does.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though. Just giving my points of view! :cool:

I haven't listened to their self-titled album, but in CoE and especially WtF the guitars are detuned pretty heavily, so much so that it's hard to hear much bass. The drummer is indeed capable so no argument there.

The vocalist used to have some range and strength back on WtF, but it seems like he lost it on CoE. This is probably for the best however, because his melodies are much gentler and actually just better than they were on WtF.

I haven't listened to their self-titled album, but in CoE and especially WtF the guitars are detuned pretty heavily, so much so that it's hard to hear much bass. The drummer is indeed capable so no argument there.

The vocalist used to have some range and strength back on WtF, but it seems like he lost it on CoE. This is probably for the best however, because his melodies are much gentler and actually just better than they were on WtF.

All of WtF and CoE are in Dropped D tuning. That just means the low E is down 1 step. Makes shaping power chords different and gives you the low end crunch on the open notes. Breaking Benjamin even tunes quite a bit lower that Avenged.

WtF had more clean vocal style I guess you could say. Since then he has become a more aggressive singer. He wanted to give his vocals some bite and originality so that it would stand out. While I think his voice is stronger and his range actually has increased with the most two recent albums, I will say it is not as fundamentally sound as it was on Waking the Fallen.

All of WtF and CoE are in Dropped D tuning. That just means the low E is down 1 step. Makes shaping power chords different and gives you the low end crunch on the open notes. Breaking Benjamin even tunes quite a bit lower that Avenged.

WtF had more clean vocal style I guess you could say. Since then he has become a more aggressive singer. He wanted to give his vocals some bite and originality so that it would stand out. While I think his voice is stronger and his range actually has increased with the most two recent albums, I will say it is not as fundamentally sound as it was on Waking the Fallen.

They're in drop D, but technically the E-string is C# because the entire band tunes down a half-step. (not that is a bad thing per se, probably more for his vocals than anything)

The Rev is a great drummer. I don't know why you hink he is only capable.

He's impressive for a radio rock drummer. So is the guitarist. If mainstream is your primary source of new music, then they're phenom. They've got to be one of the best bands on mainstream radio.

A great example of a 'capable' rock drummer is...

...Lars Ulrich. This guy blows Lars away.

The song structure and tone/distortion are what's generic about them. They're using stock high end guitars with stock high end amps and no personality to their sound at all. And the song composition is very predictable and oh so done before.

I wouldn't change the radio if they came on, if I listened to the radio. They're certainly better than whatever side project 106.5 is whoring out these days.

Very high energy stuff though, but the hooks are soft.

Archived