• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Avenged Sevenfold

dimbee

Undoubtedly one of the most creative bands today. Each album changes. Updates on the new album say that it may be a concept album, and it's supposed to get back to more "classic metal". They also want to go back to longer songs.

I heard a song called Unwind the Chainsaw streamed for like 10 minutes on their website before it was taken down. I haven't actually heard it and can't find it so I dunno if I believe it.

They sold out after Waking The Fallen.

Call it what you like. They have fun playing it and aren't lumped into a specific genre, which was their goal. Waking the Fallen was great, but City of Evil just had so much more to it. The self titled album was "experimental" in their words. Not my favorite album, but not bad. Wanting to create accessible music isn't selling out if it's what you like.

Call it what you like. They have fun playing it and aren't lumped into a specific genre, which was their goal. Waking the Fallen was great, but City of Evil just had so much more to it. The self titled album was "experimental" in their words. Not my favorite album, but not bad. Wanting to create accessible music isn't selling out if it's what you like.

I didn't say I didn't like it, they are a kick ass band still. They went away from their metal roots and went more towards mainstream rock, which is selling out to me. I still like their music. The Rev is one of my favorite drummers.

Thats how they used to sound Dimbee, just in case you haven't heard it before. I freakin love The Rev, he is beast.

This, however, might be one of the best music videos ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Generic? That's an, umm, interesting adjective to use...

Agreed. In fact, they may be one of the furthest things from generic. They are always changing.

Also, I have read online in certain places that the next album is going to be more classic metal. Apparently Shadows has said to expect longer songs on this album, and potentially a concept album might come out. They admitted that the Self Titled album was very experimental, and this album is going back to their roots and influences. Hopefully so.

Generic? That's an, umm, interesting adjective to use...

Generic in that they aren't really special. (in my opinion)

The guitarist is very good, and the drummer is a capable one, but the vocals aren't anything to write home about (at least after WtF) and his melodies don't make up for what he lacks in that department. The bass is non-existent on most of their songs, partly due to how detuned the guitars are and how talented the lead guitar player is. I feel like if the singer would sing a little more melodically (kind of the step they took with CoE) instead of yelling (after WtF, he's really bad at it) and if the songs had a little more bass and little less crunchy guitar then they would be on the right track. As it stands however, they are just an okay band with a talented guitarist.

Generic in that they aren't really special. (in my opinion)

The guitarist is very good, and the drummer is a capable one, but the vocals aren't anything to write home about (at least after WtF) and his melodies don't make up for what he lacks in that department. The bass is non-existent on most of their songs, partly due to how detuned the guitars are and how talented the lead guitar player is. I feel like if the singer would sing a little more melodically (kind of the step they took with CoE) instead of yelling (after WtF, he's really bad at it) and if the songs had a little more bass and little less crunchy guitar then they would be on the right track. As it stands however, they are just an okay band with a talented guitarist.

Hmm. Well I essentially disagree with everything you just said. Bass is quite prevalent in the Self Titled album. They even added 808 blasts for the "bottom drops out" effect. Scream is one song where the bass really shows up. In fact the bass makes it heavier since they don't tune way down or use massive amounts of distortion on rhythm guitar. The Rev is a good drummer when he chooses to be. Some songs are great, some are just groove oriented. As far as Shadows being an average vocalist, I'm not really sure how you come to that conclusion? There are VERY few vocalists that can do the things he does.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though. Just giving my points of view! :cool:

Archived