• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2 Biggest offseason mistakes...Benjamin and Norman

Ppride

3 hours ago, Ppride said:

#1. Letting Norman go.  This obviously has a trickle down affect on the whole defense.  In a division with the Saints, Julio Jones, and Mike Evans, you need a reliable DB who can cover a receiver 1 on 1 consistently.  You can blame all the Panthers struggles on defense on the absence of Norman.  Safeties and LBs now have to help more in the pass game, defense becomes more vulnerable to run game.  End result , once a great defense has become below average.

#2. Bringing Benjamin Back.  Panthers had the #1 offense in the league last year.  As crazy as it may sounds, bringing Benjamin back has messed up the chemistry in the offense. Cam has regressed because he is trying to force the ball to Benjamin to often instead of going thru his progression.  Until last night, Olsen hasn't had the usual impact on games he's use to, and Ginn has yet to make big plays he made all last year.  This is all due to Benjamins return.  Benjamin is way overhyped as a receiver, yes he's big, but his speed and route running is average at best.  They should have traded him.

#1 SCORING offense,  not #1 offense overall. We didn't get that by marching up and down the field, we did it with getting a ton of turnovers and creating short fields to work with.

Point 1 is valid. Point 2 is ludacris. Benjamin is byyyyyyy FAR our best receiver.  I don't see Cam forcing the ball to KB is I see Shula calling plays that are Deep routes to KB and Funch that just take up too long to develop.  He needs to be calling short and intermediate routes instead of 20+ routes.  

My suggestion would be to switch Benjamin to TE and run some 2 TE formations like NE does.  I would have Brown, Funchess, and Ginn be my main recievers with Olsen still being the central focus of the pass game. You will continue to see the Panthers offense struggle with Benjamin as the #1 WR.

Agreed100%

My suggestion would be to switch Benjamin to TE and run some 2 TE formations like NE does.  I would have Brown, Funchess, and Ginn be my main recievers with Olsen still being the central focus of the pass game. You will continue to see the Panthers offense struggle with Benjamin as the #1 WR.

My Friend this is true... the bad part about it is that some of the posters on here are not willing to look at it without wanting Kelvin to be our saving grace...It is a fact that this same group of Wr's did the unthinkable with people doubting them last year. Everyone stepped up last year..remember how people laughed when ginn and philly were 1 and 2...not for nothing philly was clutch throughout the season and was the best  WR during post season.. he would have been the leading reciever in the SB if not for that concussion.. these guys banded together despite the critics...I don't have anything bad to say about Kelvin but the chemistry does seem off since he's been back....just saying.

4 hours ago, Ppride said:

.......but ...as you witnessed...Benji doesnt have the blocking game down...

15 hours ago, panthers1234 said:

Point 2 makes sense but I would not trade KB. I don't know why the Cam isn't distributing the ball better to the WRs. Brown and Ginn have been pretty much ignored since the return of KB.

Exactly.....And believe me, Brown, Ginn, and Funchess don't appreciate that.  For all they did for the team last year in Bejamins absence, they don't appreciate being ignored by their OC and QB. 

7 minutes ago, Ppride said:

Exactly.....And believe me, Brown, Ginn, and Funchess don't appreciate that.  For all they did for the team last year in Bejamins absence, they don't appreciate being ignored by their OC and QB. 

I feel like they're forcing KB into the rotation if that makes sense. 

Archived