• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2 Biggest offseason mistakes...Benjamin and Norman

Ppride

Just now, Ppride said:

To clarify, when I say forcing it to Benjamin, it doesn't necessarily mean throwing him the ball.  What I mean is his first look is usually Benjamin.  But guess what, Benjamin is not open because he is too slow and poor route running.  End result, Newton is holding on to the ball to long and QB sack.  Last year Newton first look was always Olsen, who was usually matched up with LBs. 

But wait, I thought you said because of forcing it to KB he wasn't going through his progressions and that's why Ginn has sucked. Then you say no no, it's just that he's first read instead of Olsen who was first read last year. Well then Mr Genius, why did Ginn not suck last year also? Why would Olsen being first read instead of KB make any difference on Cam progressing through his reads to target other receivers?

My suggestion would be to switch Benjamin to TE and run some 2 TE formations like NE does.  I would have Brown, Funchess, and Ginn be my main recievers with Olsen still being the central focus of the pass game. You will continue to see the Panthers offense struggle with Benjamin as the #1 WR.

I do generally agree that sometimes bringing in a new player, or in this case a returning player who was missing for a year, can sometimes thrown off a teams chemistry. But eventually teams adapt.  I think it happened to Seattle a little bit with Jimmy Graham.  But we have way to many things going wrong to blame it on the loss or addition of 1 or 2 players.  There seems to be some complacency, lack of urgency, or distraction.  How else to explain all the mental errors?  

The mistake in the passing game is not having a reliable 3rd down receiver on the roster who can get quick seperate on and fond pockets in the defense quickly. You need a compliment on the outside to Olsen drawing coverage on 3Rd down.

Bersin is the best 3rd down receiver on the roster and they do not use him. Losing Cotchery is what hurt the offensive consistency.

KB is great catching a defense in man on 1st or 2nd down, or pushing the back of the end zone when the Panthers are in the red zone. KB is not great getting seperation off the line or finding/sitting down in pockets of the defense with a 3 step drop.

32 minutes ago, Floppin said:

But wait, I thought you said because of forcing it to KB he wasn't going through his progressions and that's why Ginn has sucked. Then you say no no, it's just that he's first read instead of Olsen who was first read last year. Well then Mr Genius, why did Ginn not suck last year also? Why would Olsen being first read instead of KB make any difference on Cam progressing through his reads to target other receivers?

Because its much easier to read the safety when you have Olsen running down the seam and Ginn running up the sideline.  We all know the NFL passing game is all about timing. Last year this was an easy 2 man progression for Cam.  If the safety doubles Olsen, throw it to Ginn and vice versa.  This year with Benjamin in the equation, it has changed the play calling and focus of the offense.

Presnap, if I see Olsen covered by a LB my first read will automatically be Olsen. If I see the safety double Olsen, I'm automatically throwing the ball deep to Ginn.  This is simple football which the Panthers did a lot of last year.  Because of Benjamin, Ginn or any of the other recievers haven't been getting the same opportunities.  Brown and Funchess are pretty good if you give them opportunities

Benjamin and Olsen are the Carolina offense,.... Derek could have thrown to Ginn a couple of times but like Cam he's thinking DROP---- Philly just doesn't get open and Funchess, well Funchess can't beat anyone out to get on the field.

if Funchess was special he would be out there but he sucks. Can beat his man, can only catch if he's wide open by himself. Period.

So try again with the trade Benjamin talk. 

Actually the way it's going right now DG could trade Cam, Olsen, and KB and replace them with 4,6,7 round rookies all drafted 3 rounds too early,..

Archived