• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wanted: Blocking Fullback

Jeremy Igo

3rd and 1. i-formation. Should be an easy pickup. 

giphy.gif

I had a thought last night, and in the moment it didn't seem too bad of an idea. Just wanted to get some thoughts on it....

What if/when we get Stew back we used him in the same capacity we use Tolbert? We wouldn't really be losing anything in terms of blocking and Fozzy is clearly a more explosive, dependable option as a feature back at this point...

Stewart is better out of the backfield as a receiver than Tolbert as well... Seems like we've gotten all we can hope to get out of ole Tolbert, and Stew can't take the pounding a feature back has to be able to take... Assuming Stew would embrace the new role, it seems like a win win for us....

Sent from my LG-D851 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

20 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Earlier this week I wrote a post comparing "System" Coaches who prioritize System above all and demand players conform to the System and, if they don't have success, its never the System's fault, its those darned pesky players.

And then their are coaches who evaluate their players and design plays (and systems) to highlight what they do well.

Ron and his boys are the former.

Guys like Belichik, Tomlin, and Carroll are the latter.

I believe it was Sunday night football, that I heard the following, and it's stuck in my mind since.  Can't remember if it was Dungy, or another coach, but the quote was, "systems are great, but you have to have players."  #truth

29 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

That was a terrible call and a terrible drive. 3 straight runs SMH

Tolbert is useless, with that said CAP still wasn't gonna make it even if Tolbert blocked his man.

Anything appears to be a terrible playcall when key cogs to it functioning totally botch the job

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Because Rivera has never been good at personnel evaluation.

We knew this even when the team was at its best.

One of the flaws of the "players coach".  Thinking your guys work through horrible play with more opportunity 

Does anyone in this thread or on this board for that matter know for a fact that Dickson wasn't supposed to go outside and Tolbert was supposed to take the guy Dickson is blocking?

Looks an lot like Tolbert was headed inside and tried to adjust to the unexpectedly unblocked defender.

3 hours ago, Inimicus said:

Does anyone in this thread or on this board for that matter know for a fact that Dickson wasn't supposed to go outside and Tolbert was supposed to take the guy Dickson is blocking?

Looks an lot like Tolbert was headed inside and tried to adjust to the unexpectedly unblocked defender.

Possibly. 

In which case this goes back to Shula for his players being clueless as to what they should be doing. 

Let's face it. Tolbert was never a true fullback. He's an oversized tailback. He obviously has fullback measurables, but his mentality has been that of a runner, not a blocker. 

Unfortunately, he is no longer effective as a runner. So, his lack of blocking prowess makes him expendable. Love him, but it's time to move on. 

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

This play and the 3rd and 2 run in the 4th quarter annoyed me so much.  A running team should not be going 1 for 8 on third down, especially given how close the average yard to gain was.  

It because our run game sucks without cam. Always has, to predictable. 

Archived