• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wanted: Blocking Fullback

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, pstall said:

We do too many of those stupid our identify mantra of run the football or good d stuff.

What's New England's identify? Do your job. That's their identity.  It means you as a well paid professional does what he is supposed to do.  Everyone crushes their role and look at the results. 

We have an identity of disengaged, slow to respond, over coach or hang on too lony to a guy can't buy a break team this year. 

We don't really have an identity. Just endorsements.

I was thinking about how people will always point to the sustained excellence in New England.  Then let's remember how Kyle Love defined the differences between here and there.  He said here, guys could be themselves, and it was a lot more fun.

It's all fun and games when you are winning.  Guys need to stop having fun until they get their job done.  If they can't get the job done (Tolbert), then they don't need to be on the team.

I guess a real head scratcher for me is why do is Tolbert still on the team?  Sure, his first few years, he was wonderful to have.  Lately, he just can't play the same way.  He was never a good blocker, he was much more of a receiver and runner out of the backfield.  So are there no more good, blocking fullbacks sitting on practice squads?  Or on the Streets?  

Tolbert should be used as an example of what happens when you do no perform your job.  If he'd made that block, that's a first down.  That's a HUGE C'MON MAN moment.

39 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Here is the thing. We have all known Tolbert is awful for quite a while now, yet the coaching staff insists on him being key in these plays. 

WHY>?

48 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

3rd and 1. i-formation. Should be an easy pickup. 

giphy.gif

Thats why he was replaced with Dickson and Olsen but if you look at the play closely Trai Turner is pulling and he doesnt make it to seal  his guy. Also this call should have be audibled out when you have stacked box like that you should have off  tackle run or toss play that worked later on in the game. How about GIFs of Luke calling out direction where the play is going , once this secondary Gel this D will be back on top.

Again Jermey please put postive gifs of the game lets build momentum for next week but I know you want them click bait. 

http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/videos/Kuechly-Weve-got-to-rebound/b99ef4b9-3824-4cf9-9091-cd67050bb64c

$$$$$$$$ EGO 

This to me is an example of why Ron, for all the talk of being a players coach, and being an awful situational coach, may end up getting canned. We cut Bene for being apparently out of shape, and lack of effort, but guys like Tolbert, and Remmers are still guaranteed roster spots because they are coaches favorites. There was another guy who was a favorite of Rivera's, it took what seemed like forever for Ron to finally let him go, that was of course before trying him on the OL. Sione Fua. Ugh.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Here is the thing. We have all known Tolbert is awful for quite a while now, yet the coaching staff insists on him being key in these plays. 

WHY>?

Probably because those are some of the most basic plays in the playbook.  Bad teams are suppose to run those.  It has to start there.  Gotta be able to get those right. That play is good with decent (not good) FB play.

They should cut Tolbert today

3rd and 1. i-formation. Should be an easy pickup. 

giphy.gif

With regard to your article attached to this at this link: http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2016/10/11/carolina-panthers-coaching/ you say the following:

At some point the Carolina Panthers coaching staff has to point their finger back at themselves. Are they calling the plays that best suit the current strengths of their players? Or are they sticking to the same old tired plays and simply hoping for the best. I think the answer here is clear. The Panthers coaching staff is unable to adjust and bring out the best of what their players can offer. Some might call that the very definition of good coaching.

Earlier this week I wrote a post comparing "System" Coaches who prioritize System above all and demand players conform to the System and, if they don't have success, its never the System's fault, its those darned pesky players.

And then their are coaches who evaluate their players and design plays (and systems) to highlight what they do well.

Ron and his boys are the former.

Guys like Belichik, Tomlin, and Carroll are the lattter.

I would take it a step further. Ron doesn't seem to prepare for his opponent differently.  It's the dumb macho gameplan teams.  We gon ruuhn the ball like we always do mane. Well good but the team you are playing is the best vs the run. Or whatever. 

Ron has peaked. 

WHY>?

Because Rivera has never been good at personnel evaluation.

We knew this even when the team was at its best.

9 minutes ago, pstall said:

I would take it a step further. Ron doesn't seem to prepare for his opponent differently.  It's the dumb macho gameplan teams.  We gon ruuhn the ball like we always do mane. Well good but the team you are playing is the best vs the run. Or whatever. 

Ron has peaked. 

Which is the opposite of what he talked about in his initial presser.

When he was introduced, Ron Rivera talked about being a team that could adapt to take advantage of the weaknesses of the opponent. He also came off sounding like it tough no-nonsense coach that wouldn't brook any half-assery and would demand excellence from his guys.

Even through the good times, none of those things has turned out to be true.

I find myself wishing the coach that  gave that press conference was the coach we had now.

Archived