• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Paging Kony and Chuck

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Riverboat Ron said:

I really think the secondary is the issue. There's a tipping point where pressure improves the secondary just the same as a lockdown secondary giving the front seven time to get to the QB.

Problem is how much can the D-Line do when it's like backyard toss and catch with our Corners and safeties? Boston is ass, we have inexperienced rookies, and a now cut out of shape Bene. Coleman who is fantastic when he has sufficient support can't cover the field since he has to cheat to a side. 

Truth is Getts put too much faith in rookies and gambled badly at safety.

Nobody wants to admit the gamble failed though. 

I saw some where that we're getting pressure something like 28% of snaps,  which is above average.  I don't think they have played well but when we are blitzing linebackers and playing 12 yards off with our corners what do we expect to happen? Receivers are open IMMEDIATELY why do we expect the qb to hold the ball and wait to get hit?

Guys start on a Dline because they can win those one on one battles. The other guys are rotation players. Starters have different expectations placed upon them. Talent has been subtracted not added to that unit. They're going to have to trade to fix this in the short term. 

The only guy getting constant doubles is Star and that is indicitive of real NFL starting calibre talent.

55 minutes ago, arbnranger said:

Well, in all fairness TJ, the verdict is still out. Takes quite a bit longer to see if we hit or miss on those draft picks. 

This is where I agree. I think he gambled on moving on from Norman and Harper thinking we could get a cohesive secondary that wouldn't dominate but at least not bleed years like a hemophiliac. Unfortunately Boston has underperformed, Bene was lazy and honestly two rookies played as well as could be expected. 

That being said, I think Getts is playing the long game thinking by week 8 we'd have a working group. In addition losing Stewart has forced us to move away from running and lengthens games which isn't helping a bad secondary. 

Not trying to make excuses for Getts but basically his gamble failed early but maybe not in the long term, we're just so accustomed to winning that we freak out with any loss, especially the butt fugging we had last week.

2 hours ago, My Goodness My Guinness said:

Comments like this deserve ban for stupidity

Sorry to say this.But, you can't ban folks for being childish.

As bad as things are around here right now. Childish is the least of our problems.

And man, if we happen to lose Monday night. This place is going to be unbearable. It is hard to visit now, but it will be worse if we lose again this week.

If things don't turn around soon. There will be no more football talk. Every thread will be a bitchfest about how badly we sux.

Aw hellz, maybe All Pro will pick up. I don't want to miss this place. It is the only place I go to talk Panther Football. But it is getting harder and harder to come back.

This has been the big issue here.  This defense revolves around pressure.  People love reverting to Norman.  But the dude had 1 big year.  We had a top denfense before Norman started to go off.  We picked up Ealy when we werent sure of Hardy future down the road resigning him.  Ealy like Hardy and many DEs took a little time to develope and looked solid down the stretch last year before blowing up in the superbowl.  Now he's a ghost.

3 years ago we had a top 3 defense that carried this team with garbage dbs.  Melvin White was our top corner.  People on here were calling for Riveras head and wanting to cut Norman after the first few games.  Us blowing leads.  One of the worst was the buffalo comeback at the very end to beat us off of the WR just Roasting Norman at the end.

After the buffalo game the DEs went off and created tons of pressure, then the D went from worst to first.

Ealy is a Big key here. He needs to unlock whatever got him finally going at the end of the year last year.  Once that gets going the less double teams on the inside for KK to cut loose.

It does not take a good secondary to have a successful outside pass rush.

You need two exceptional outside pass rushers. We know this. Why, as fans, have we forgotten this the past 3 seasons?

1995-1999 Kevin Green/Lamar Lathon

2000-2009 Mike Rucker/Julius Peppers

2010-2013 Charles Johnson/Greg Hardy

2014-2016 Not a single thing done to bring in outside pass rushing.

2 outside rushers with 10+ sacks each: 1996, 2002, 2012, 2013

Seasons without an outside pass rusher with 10+ sacks: 1995 (expansion), 1997 (rebuild), 2000, 2001, 2007, 2011 (rebuild), 2014, 2015, and now 2016.

Rebuilding years are understandable. No one is expecting to dominate in those years. We are all thrilled to just see the team not get blown out from week to week in rebuilding years. Seifert tanked his era due to failing to get any pressure on the QB. Hurney/Fox only had one down season with the pass rush in 2007.

Gettleman/Rivera have no desire to find an outside pass rush. It is all on Kony Ealy. 3 straight seasons of neglecting this critical area, and then compounding it by destroying the effectiveness of the secondary.

Not the players fault when the front office and the coaches fail to put the players in a position to be competitive and win.

3 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

It does not take a good secondary to have a successful outside pass rush.

You need two exceptional outside pass rushers. We know this. Why, as fans, have we forgotten this the past 3 seasons?

1995-1999 Kevin Green/Lamar Lathon

2000-2009 Mike Rucker/Julius Peppers

2010-2013 Charles Johnson/Greg Hardy

2014-2016 Not a single thing done to bring in outside pass rushing.

2 outside rushers with 10+ sacks each: 1996, 2002, 2012, 2013

Seasons without an outside pass rusher with 10+ sacks: 1995 (expansion), 1997 (rebuild), 2000, 2001, 2007, 2011 (rebuild), 2014, 2015, and now 2016.

Rebuilding years are understandable. No one is expecting to dominate in those years. We are all thrilled to just see the team not get blown out from week to week in rebuilding years. Seifert tanked his era due to failing to get any pressure on the QB. Hurney/Fox only had one down season with the pass rush in 2007.

Gettleman/Rivera have no desire to find an outside pass rush. It is all on Kony Ealy. 3 straight seasons of neglecting this critical area, and then compounding it by destroying the effectiveness of the secondary.

Not the players fault when the front office and the coaches fail to put the players in a position to be competitive and win.

Could that be why guys don't seem motivated? 

You need a Kevin Greene. You need a Julius Peppers and you need a Greg Hardy to pair with a CJ or an Ealy. Why the heck do they continue to neglect the defensive end position?

Archived