• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Someone explain for me please...

Jeremy Igo

16 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

No. Turner screwed the play up. I love how he fools everyone by looking so committed after his hesitation on locating his man. He chose the wrong defender btw. The man on the end everyone thinks belongs to Tolbert is Turner's man.

No. The first read for CAP is the block of Dickson. If Turner kicks the correct man out and CAP sets up his counter step better to fake the defense, then Dickson (as the lead block) would likely block the LB inside giving CAP his read to cut it outside. Then CAP would locate Tolbert's block outside on the seconda level. Tolbert is suppose to chip the defender on the end for Turner and release to the outside to set up and block the deep safety for a big run to the sidelines.

Cam does not have that option. This is not a veer where Cam would have a pitch option. This is a counter trap. The idea is to leave the end free to get hit with the trap block by Turner while pulling the rest of the defense into the OL on the right side with the counter step.

Tolbert responsibilities are:

1) chip and release the end defender.

2) release to the outside of the 5 technique.

3) locate the nearest unblocked DB to block. In this case, it is the single high safety.

Tolbert did his assignment correctly. The only issue may be him getting too wide off the release to the safety.

If Turner and CAP do their jobs better, this is likely a big run to the sidelines with Tolbert and Benjamin taking out the CB and S down field.

I mean.... with Shula, anything is possible lmao who knows.... maybe when Shula drew that up, he forgot to give the FB an assignment. The world will never know

It's funny how most of you all are just now noticing this .. I've been preaching this for years now with Tolbert, he is and has always been a waste of a roster spot.. But since Mr. Richardson enjoys him so much we are stuck with his bad play and short gains for at least another year.  Hell, Brockel has done more for us then Tolbert ever has or will.

2 minutes ago, GhostP. said:

It's funny how most of you all are just now noticing this .. I've been preaching this for years now with Tolbert, he is and has always been a waste of a roster spot.. But since Mr. Richardson enjoys him so much we are stuck with his bad play and short gains for at least another year.  Hell, Brockel has done more for us then Tolbert ever has or will.

This should be the last season anyone has to worry about him.  They said it was a 2-year contract, but after looking at it, it's pretty obvious it's a 1-year deal.  Dead cap is $350k next year.

Looks like he's running the wrong play or the design is for him to chip the defender and then run out into the flat hoping the defender will choose to chase him or to block on the edge if the CAP was supposed to string it out a little more.  

Either way, it's bad. Our deception-based run game is no longer fooling anyone, Greg Cosell said so himself this morning. We need to get back to a traditional run game and sign a true blocking fullback. This goes all the way back to the SB when he missed multiple blocking assignments and then fumbled the ball. 

Archived