• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Someone explain for me please...

Jeremy Igo

21 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Can someone tell me what Tolbert is doing in this play?

giphy.gif

I could see how the casual fan might be confused here. Mike Tolbert is actually running the Shula offense to perfection here.

His job on this play is to leak out and make sure his blocking assignment has a clear path to stonewall our running back - ideally we run a play like this on first down with cam under center. This ensures that the defense knows exactly what is coming and that we don't get any yards. Ideally, Remmers or Dixon would have gotten penalized here and we could have gotten to the much-desired 1st and 20 phase of the offense.

From there you get to see our fine-oiled-machine of an offense and the master-mind that is Shula at their very best. After milking every possible second from the play clock, we send speedsters Benjamin and Olsen on 70 yard go routes and completely surprise the defense. Cam, out of shotgun, takes a 17 step drop, sees the defensive ends coming and runs another 5 yards backward for a sack. This takes us to third down and about 60 yards to go. Draw with Fozzy. And a punt from literally the best player on our fuging team right now.

Lather, rinse, repeat until we lose by 30.

22 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Can someone tell me what Tolbert is doing in this play?

giphy.gif

Looks like he was faking the play action hoping that #41 would keep following him. 

Also, doesn't Cam have the option to keep it and dump off to....Tolbert? Might have gotten us some yardage.

What has changed from last year to this year? Who were the key losses in the off-season? Whose play has dropped off? 

Glaring to me: 1) the offensive line is giving Cam ABSOLUTELY ZERO protection, and 2) the defense is horrendous beyond words. 

Can someone explain this to me? I am fairly new to the NFL so be nice lol. I'm a hardcore NBA/NHL/MLB fan though so I'm not a total noob, it's just the NFL is the last sport I started to seriously follow. I'm from the east coast, dad is a Pats fan, but couldn't bring myself to cheer for them as imo it's too much like choosing to be a Yankee fan (just feels cheap). I've caught every game this year but only watched the super bowl last year. I'm definitely a Panthers fan though, they're the only team I follow. 

2 minutes ago, Komodo19 said:

What has changed from last year to this year? Who were the key losses in the off-season? Whose play has dropped off? 

Glaring to me: 1) the offensive line is giving Cam ABSOLUTELY ZERO protection, and 2) the defense is horrendous beyond words. 

Can someone explain this to me? I am fairly new to the NFL so be nice lol. I'm a hardcore NBA/NHL/MLB fan though so I'm not a total noob, it's just the NFL is the last sport I started to seriously follow. I'm from the east coast, dad is a Pats fan, but couldn't bring myself to cheer for them as imo it's too much like choosing to be a Yankee fan (just feels cheap). I've caught every game this year but only watched the super bowl last year. I'm definitely a Panthers fan though, they're the only team I follow. 

First of all, good for you for not jumping on the Pats bandwagon.  Jesus those people drive me nuts.

Off the top of my head, from last year we lost Peanut Tillman(retired), Josh Norman (Redskins), Jared Allen (retired), Roman Harper (Saints), Jerricho Cotchery receiving.

That's a LOT of veteran talent to lose on the defensive side of the ball.

2 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Honestly, it looks to me as if quite a few players were running different plays.

Audible that didn't get picked up by everyone?

No. Turner screwed the play up. I love how he fools everyone by looking so committed after his hesitation on locating his man. He chose the wrong defender btw. The man on the end everyone thinks belongs to Tolbert is Turner's man.

1 hour ago, brandon_87 said:

Drawing the safety away from the designed run gap

No. The first read for CAP is the block of Dickson. If Turner kicks the correct man out and CAP sets up his counter step better to fake the defense, then Dickson (as the lead block) would likely block the LB inside giving CAP his read to cut it outside. Then CAP would locate Tolbert's block outside on the seconda level. Tolbert is suppose to chip the defender on the end for Turner and release to the outside to set up and block the deep safety for a big run to the sidelines.

55 minutes ago, CoastalCat said:

Looks like he was faking the play action hoping that #41 would keep following him. 

Also, doesn't Cam have the option to keep it and dump off to....Tolbert? Might have gotten us some yardage.

Cam does not have that option. This is not a veer where Cam would have a pitch option. This is a counter trap. The idea is to leave the end free to get hit with the trap block by Turner while pulling the rest of the defense into the OL on the right side with the counter step.

Tolbert responsibilities are:

1) chip and release the end defender.

2) release to the outside of the 5 technique.

3) locate the nearest unblocked DB to block. In this case, it is the single high safety.

Tolbert did his assignment correctly. The only issue may be him getting too wide off the release to the safety.

If Turner and CAP do their jobs better, this is likely a big run to the sidelines with Tolbert and Benjamin taking out the CB and S down field.

4 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Honestly, it looks to me as if quite a few players were running different plays.

Audible that didn't get picked up by everyone?

That is what I was thinking as well. But, Tolbert looks like he is the only one that doesn't know what's going on. If he blocks 41, that play would have picked up positive yards.

Was Dickson late, or was CAP to quick to the hole? Is Dickson supposed to hit that hole? If he would have led CAP into that hole there were 3 blockers on 3 defenders. The play itself had a chance. The execution looks off.

That is the main thing about being a fan. You don't really now what was supposed to happen. Well most fans except @CPantherKing that is.

I've watched this several times and I just keep getting more and more pissed. 

Not so much at Tolbert but at the stupidity of this play design. 

Am I the only one wondering why in the hell the play is designed to pull Ed Dickson as well if he is not even able to get to the hole before Cap does. Dickson is pulled from the 2nd TE spot on the outside of Olsen. 

They could run that play 100 times and I'm willing to bet Dickson beats Cap to the hole maybe 5 times. 

It is designed to render Dickson useless which essentially means this play was 11 on 10. Without even taking into consideration the poor effort by Tolbert. 

3 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Was Dickson late, or was CAP to quick to the hole? Is Dickson supposed to hit that hole? If he would have led CAP into that hole there were 3 blockers on 3 defenders. The play itself had a chance. The execution looks off.

I have experience with this game. Not just a fan. Dickson's block is dependent on Turner's kick out block on the defender at the end of the line. Turner should never hesitate or stutter when pulling to block. CAP is responsible for pulling the defense to the right with a counter step and setting up to trail Dickson. So, yes CAP was too quick.

3 hours ago, bigdog10 said:

I've watched this several times and I just keep getting more and more pissed. 

Not so much at Tolbert but at the stupidity of this play design. 

Am I the only one wondering why in the hell the play is designed to pull Ed Dickson as well if he is not even able to get to the hole before Cap does. Dickson is pulled from the 2nd TE spot on the outside of Olsen. 

They could run that play 100 times and I'm willing to bet Dickson beats Cap to the hole maybe 5 times. 

It is designed to render Dickson useless which essentially means this play was 11 on 10. Without even taking into consideration the poor effort by Tolbert. 

This is a classic play design every team uses. The players have been running it since high school.

That play with the defenses set up was the correct call and had big play potential with the defense pressed up in the middle and to the right side of the OL. This could have easily been a 20 yard run.

Dickson is not suppose to beat CAP to the hole since CAP is not suppose to go directly to the B gap. CAP is suppose to counter step right, pause to pull the defense to the right to set up the blocks, and then trail on Dickson's hip.

I will see if I can find something that details it in a video for those who are interested in the anatomy of a play. Counter trap. Turner and CAP are the key to this play. CAP is the counter and Turner is the trap block.

Archived