• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Live Thread - Watching the game now, general play by play observations

Jeremy Igo

Just now, RoaringRiot said:

I was kinda thinking this too. Has he been taught so much not to "lock in" on KB has it made him start looking away from him too much? 

I wish I knew, but all they've been talking about, is spreading the ball around.  As long as you're not forcing too much, then screw spreading the ball around.  You know KB is going to win most 50/50 balls.  You know KB is going to be open on slants, almost by default.  You know Olsen is going to own the seam, and most out routes.  It's making me wonder if he's thinking too much about that, instead of just playing ball...

Here is one of many Julio Jones long receptions. 

Bene on man coverage gets beat as he presses Jones at the line, was not playing off. 

Untitled-12.jpg

My question: Why are Colin Jones and Kurt Coleman within a yard of each other in the middle of the field and no one is there to help Bene? Hopefully Coleman messed up, because if Bene was expected to press the best receiver and then keep up with him down the field with no help.... that is on the coaches. 

50 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Falcons second play from scrimmage. 

Untitled-3.jpg

Panthers blitz again. Star doubled. No one comes close. Julio Jones all alone at the top of the screen. Another completion. 

When Star is doubled, KK needs to win. This hasn't been a good contract year performance for KK so far. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Bene on man coverage gets beat as he presses Jones at the line, was not playing off. 

Untitled-12.jpg

My question: Why are Colin Jones and Kurt Coleman within a yard of each other in the middle of the field and no one is there to help Bene? Hopefully Coleman messed up, because if Bene was expected to press the best receiver and then keep up with him down the field with no help.... that is on the coaches. 

Would have to see how Jones and Coleman were lined up before the snap, but from the looks of it this was to Coleman's side of the field and from what I recall Bene pointed at Coleman after this play and gave him a WTF? gesture. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Untitled-12.jpg

It's actually Worley.  He looked back immediately after the play asking where his safety help was.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

3rd and 5, looking for Olsen, never gets off him. KB and Dickson open. 

Remmers destroyed on spin move here. 

Untitled-1.jpg

pass incomplete, Cam hit. 

This play/image brings up a good point that Ike Taylor made on the NFL network when talking about the struggles for the Cardinals and Carson Palmer. I'm paraphrasing, but Taylor essentially eluded to the fact that the Cardinals (much like the Panthers) like "big-plays" and rely on long passes to get their offenses going. However, we are seeing early in 2016 that defenses are taking away the long, big yardage plays and that forces QBs like Palmer (and Newton) to have to read defenses, look for the 2nd/3rd options in order to make completions. However, Palmer and Newton are both struggling to do so and aren't showing the ability to take what the defenses give them. 

This image I think is indicative of these sentiments, as both KB and Dickson are wide open. Now, I do think that Newton is more than capable of doing this and needs proper protection (e.g. not having Freeney breathing down his neck). However, based on the performance against the Vikings and ATL, Newton is going to have to scan the field better, read/understand the defense, and get rid of the ball quicker. 

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

OK, Panthers down 14-0. 

Cam played poorly. 

Defensive line got no pressure. 

Safeties were terrible. 

Those were the top 3 issues so far, imo. 

Add no consistent running game to the list. I've never seen so many bad exchanges on running plays. CAP and Cam seem to be totally out of sync and I don't see any burst from Tolbert. 

Archived