• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

About that popular yahoo article...

Jeremy Igo

15 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Ask yourself this.

Why does he always seem "off" when we can't run the damn ball to save our lives (No Stewart, and Cam led the team in rushing, again) while the offensive line is consistently getting blown up by even mediocre defensive lines?

What quarterback in his prime is going to look utterly fantastic week in, and week out under those circumstances?

Someone tell me.

I'm literally disgusted with our fanbase right now. I thought last year we turned the corner, but even some of the die hard fans here are turning into buffoons.

People really think they deserve to see their team hoisting a Lombardi Trophy after acting so damn fickle? Unreal.

Igo better whip this place up rather than encouraging this mindset by downplaying Gettleman's gambles in the offseason, it's getting out of hand.

Red, Newton is off right now.  I don't think anybody with working eyes can say otherwise.

The big question is why.

My top suspect at the moment is that ankle.  His footwork yesterday was sloppy, and having to compensate for ankle pain is a likely cause.  Better if he takes some time to heal if that's the case because otherwise you're just reinforcing bad habits that get developed when you're playing hurt.

Another big possibility is the number of hits to the head he's taken this season, and twofold.  One in that they could be throwing him off just by the sheer cumulative effect and two in that they could be making him skittish. 

Is he David Carr'd at this point?  I don't think so, but we do need to recognize that Cam isn't Superman and that happening is a real possibility.  The way he pulled up in front of that guy at the goal line yesterday gave me pause.  In prior years, he'd have run through that guy, but not these days.

Now to be clear, I'm on record as saying you never bench your starter unless you mean for it to be permanent, and I haven't changed my mind on that.  Sit him to recover from injuries?  Sure, but not for performance.  The whole "temporary benching" scenario is and always has been crap.

I'm very much in favor of Newton healing.  Benching him for Anderson isn't an option if he's healthy, but I have some major questions as to whether he's healthy.

23 minutes ago, hepcat said:

When he's off, the Panthers get blown out. When he's on, he wins MVP. Sound familiar?

No

Cam can't win games by himself. Cam play has nothing to do with the defense letting 1 receiver get 300 fuging yards. We've had 1 RB rush for 100 yds in a game and we won that one. I can easily flip that and say thats why the offense sucks

Simple and plain.  In terms of winning in 2016 and assuming a healthy squad....We have legit personnel issues at DE, DB, OT.  Those were discussed at length this offseason.  That is leaving out issues discussed we needed to simply work to improve on.

That is Gettlemen's fault.  If he was going to bail on Norman, he needed to plan accordingly.  He didn't.  Because in fact he wasn't planning to bail on Norman in 2016.  He needed to immediately improve our DE spot and do more than draft rookies at DB if he was bailing on him.  OT was a weakness all year but one they simply are willing to save money on because Cam is built like a F150 and has moves.  But Gettlemen bailed on Norman at the last minute and caused him to do what he claims he never does (REACH in the draft for need). 

Gettlemen didn't have a good offseason.  First one.  But he should be called on it.  Did we improve at any spot this offseason because of Gettlemen?  Prior to the disappointing starts.....I don't recall anyone claiming Gettlemen improved us in an area or addressed a weak spot.   So I also do buy people acting like this is an overreaction to poor play.  I mean, some of this stuff was obviously coming this season and was discussed before hand.

I mean, if you are going to bash Cam or Shula or Ron?  That is fine.  Don't exclude Gettlemen, though. He doesn't deserve a pass if one chooses to enter the knock Carolina talk.

13 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Ask yourself this.

Why does he always seem "off" when we can't run the damn ball to save our lives (No Stewart, and Cam led the team in rushing, again) while the offensive line is consistently getting blown up by even mediocre defensive lines?

What quarterback in his prime is going to look utterly fantastic week in, and week out under those circumstances?

Someone tell me.

I'm literally disgusted with our fanbase right now. I thought last year we turned the corner, but even some of the die hard fans here are turning into buffoons.

People really think they deserve to see their team hoisting a Lombardi Trophy after acting so damn fickle? Unreal.

Igo better whip this place up rather than encouraging this mindset by downplaying Gettleman's gambles in the offseason, it's getting out of hand.

Take a chill pill dawg. We're all frustrated. It's not just on Cam, he's had poo protection this year and little help in the run game. But something is wrong with him this year and everyone can see it, whether it's all the hits and concussions starting to pile up or something else. And let's not even mention starting off the game getting a taunting penalty on a meaningless first down to start the game.

Not even sure what the point of mentioning the taunting penalty is at this point. Turner ended up ejected over some bs. I've seen far worse from other teams while mimicking Newton's Superman pose. That's just league bullshit, if you buy into that, that's on you. I've accepted that the NFL cares more about suppressing player emotion than actually protecting their brains from hits.

Anyway, to Mr. Scot, yes, there is definitely and obviously something off about Newton. Anyone with eyes could see that, he has unequivocally taken an absolute beating dating back to February of 2016. And that lands right at the feet of our GM for gambling with this OL. Point blank period.

46 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Man, he was okay.  He was always a stop gap.  Until Gettlemen stops getting stop gaps in positions of importance.  This will happen quite often.  Sucks man, I'm frustrated like everyone else.  But, I'm not going to make excuses for lack of getting better players.  We deserve better as a fan base right now, and Gettlemen did nothing over the offseason.  Simple as that.  

You sound like a spoiled kid that's mad he got the newest Iphone.  This team has been turned around in a short amount of time and fans are really acting spoiled. Y'all act like we didn't go to the SB last year. Buckle up buttercup it's a long season. Gettleman deserves the benefit of the doubt regardless of a 1-3 start. 

8 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

You sound like a spoiled kid that's mad he got the newest Iphone.  This team has been turned around in a short amount of time and fans are really acting spoiled. Y'all act like we didn't go to the SB last year. Buckle up buttercup it's a long season. Gettleman deserves the benefit of the doubt regardless of a 1-3 start. 

Ha, man.  I upgraded to the new OS for IPhone and it sucks.  So, I don't think so.

Okay, question.  If we finish 5-11 for the season how will you feel?  

13 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Not even sure what the point of mentioning the taunting penalty is at this point. Turner ended up ejected over some bs. I've seen far worse from other teams while mimicking Newton's Superman pose. That's just league bullshit, if you buy into that, that's on you. I've accepted that the NFL cares more about suppressing player emotion than actually protecting their brains from hits.

Anyway, to Mr. Scot, yes, there is definitely and obviously something off about Newton. Anyone with eyes could see that, he has unequivocally taken an absolute beating dating back to February of 2016. And that lands right at the feet of our GM for gambling with this OL. Point blank period.

Turner wasn't ejected, just warned.

And I don't think he "gambled" on the OL.  Zod's correct that this OL took us to the Super Bowl last year.  It was reasonable to expect they could work to game plan around what happened in Denver.  Heck, Remmers for the most part looked better against Denver.

It ain't working, but it's not such a reach given what they knew at the time to believe that it could have.

And yes, Newton holding on to the ball too long, whatever the reason, is part of the problem.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Turner wasn't ejected, just warned.

And I don't think he "gambled" on the OL.  Zod's correct that this OL took us to the Super Bowl last year.  It was reasonable to expect they could work to game plan around what happened in Denver.  Heck, Remmers for the most part looked better against Denver.

It ain't working, but it's not such a reach given what they knew at the time to believe that it could have.

The OL took us to the Super Bowl because Newton was bulldozing teams like a feature running back to compensate.

Look Gettleman has done good things for us, but this offseason was bad. Just how bad will remain to be seen as the rest of the season plays out.

When we have shitty seasons, the posters like Igo and Scot are always afraid to call anybody out by name to assign blame. I truly don't understand. Igo concludes the article by saying the blame should be spread around. Fair enough, but when you're too scared and frightened to call individuals out, what point is there to the criticism? Yes, Dave Gettleman absolutely deserves blame for what we're seeing so far this season.

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

The OL took us to the Super Bowl because Newton was bulldozing teams like a feature running back to compensate.

Look Gettleman has done good things for us, but this offseason was bad. Just how bad will remain to be seen as the rest of the season plays out.

And it was reasonable to think that'd still be happening this year, but it isn't.

Why?  Probably because someone fell on Cam's ankle while some other guys launched at his head.

Bad start?  Definitely.  Bad offseason isn't something you can judge till mid-to-late season at the earliest.  And if those rookies that look like rookies now suddenly look solid next season, you have to revisit it even then.

5 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

When we have shitty seasons, the posters like Igo and Scot are always afraid to call anybody out by name to assign blame. I truly don't understand. Igo concludes the article by saying the blame should be spread around. Fair enough, but when you're too scared and frightened to call individuals out, what point is there to the criticism? Yes, Dave Gettleman absolutely deserves blame for what we're seeing so far this season.

You haven't seen what I wrote in All Pro.

And dude, you're off on the Newton stuff.

2 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Can you give us a snippet?  Ya know, a little teaser.  For the cheap bastards on here of course.  

Zod can do that if he wants to.  I'm not gonna go around him.

I'll post the whole thing down here if he's okay with it, but there's a reason he has an All-Pro section.

Archived