• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

About that popular yahoo article...

Jeremy Igo

The only thing anyone can use as support of gettleman is last years anomaly.. Those seasons happen once in every eclipse or something! Whilst Oher and Remmers are serviceable, you can't ride the same wave too long before you fall off! Gettleman took the status quo approach this offseason when the league is constantly a changing face! The teams who constantly do well use free agency for some important pieces and then draft well, see the pats, broncos. Gettlemans inability to deal with high-medium deal guys is his Achilles heel. Can he lure a washed up vet or trashy serviceable youngster in the system? Yes. Can he identify an all pro free agent who who significantly upgrade a said position? As we've seen so far no! Cap issues dictated that before the last two years but other teams add pieces cap strapped or not! Broncos sign Miller and Okung somehow but we sit with $19mil for next year. The guy had ample opportunity to sign impact players and draft well to compliment what greatness he already has in the locker room. He didn't and what we're seeing is the result of that! That status quo and over trusting what you have is a recipe for failure in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

11 minutes ago, greghardy'sAK-47 said:

after this team goes 7-9 Shula has got to go.  

its difficult to lay much blame at Shula's feet right now. Most would agree he's particularly average at what he does. All would agree though, that we know who he is and what he wants to do.

The man buying the groceries is purchasing general tsao's chicken and noodles (the great value kind, no less) when everybody knows Shula is making Mexican for dinner tonight.

You can't reliably expect us to do what we want to do on offense when we don't have the talent in place to do it.

What I wrote about this yahoo article in another site. (Also the writer has never seen money ball, Cam and Luke would be on a Money ball team.)

This is a very crappy article. Look at Gettlemans track record with us. He has paid our core players, the franchise players. Norman not being here is on Norman. Not on us. The notion of him being cheap is laughable. This team needs a pass rusher, right now no one on the roster is even close to that title. Ealy, Addison, Horton, Johnson, Delaire..None of these cats are doing the job. Gettleman is known for addressing issues. Give him time, he will look for a solution like he always has in years past. We didn't have an interior pass rush, we got KK and Star. We didnt' have a #1 WR, we got Benji. We sucked at returns, he got Ginn. We didn't have a good enough tackle, he went and spent money on Oher and found remmers who has been a GOOD RT for most of his career until now. The inside of our O line wa poo then we got turner and found Norwell. Our Safeties were crap he found Coleman and Harper. So I don't buy into this crap article at all. Oh we need a DE, last year he got Allen. This year we need a DE, he will find someone. Calm your tits...all of you

10 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

With that logic of saving cap money to roll over to the next year, we should never sign free agents. I can already see it  coming this upcoming off season "who cares about Kawaan Short now we have 30 million in cap for next year"

We don't need 19 million extra next season when the cap itself is increasing.  Resigning Kony Ealy?really? He doesn't deserve a cent. Norwell and Remmers are guards , they won't get big contracts.

And this whole well we went 15-1 with these same players logic is flat out moronic. Cam played at a unsustainable level last year, considering his supporting cast that was one if not the greatest MVP season ever. Even with Cam playing at that level you can clearly see our receivers were garbage and needed to be upgraded. The o-line relied WAY to much on max protection which limited Cam's options. 

Gettleman basically said if Cam can make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t once he can do it again.

And the gamble backfired. You can't allow your franchise QB to keep taking these types of hits and get beat up. Cam will be out of here on the first train smoking in not long. 

1 minute ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Your definition of good is totally different than a lot of other people.  

You must have missed the 'Until" now part...he was also rated high on PFF man. This notion that remmers has been a poo RT all his career has to stop..I know we're in a bad spot but recognize when a player has been good. Remmers has been good for an undrafted player. Super Bowl forward, he's regressed into Bell like play..

Just now, Ivan The Awesome said:

You must have missed the 'Until" now part...he was also rated high on PFF man. This notion that remmers has been a poo RT all his career has to stop..I know we're in a bad spot but recognize when a player has been good. Remmers has been good for an undrafted player. Super Bowl forward, he's regressed into Bell like play..

Man, he was okay.  He was always a stop gap.  Until Gettlemen stops getting stop gaps in positions of importance.  This will happen quite often.  Sucks man, I'm frustrated like everyone else.  But, I'm not going to make excuses for lack of getting better players.  We deserve better as a fan base right now, and Gettlemen did nothing over the offseason.  Simple as that.  

15 minutes ago, Growl said:

its difficult to lay much blame at Shula's feet right now. Most would agree he's particularly average at what he does. All would agree though, that we know who he is and what he wants to do.

The man buying the groceries is purchasing general tsao's chicken and noodles (the great value kind, no less) when everybody knows Shula is making Mexican for dinner tonight.

You can't reliably expect us to do what we want to do on offense when we don't have the talent in place to do it.

i mainly agree if talking about yesterday only.  however, the season shows shula to be substandard as has always been the case.  shula shouldl be the scapegoat.  this team needs a new mind.  shula has taken us as far as we can go. 

and what shula wants to do is no surprise to most defenses.  that's why he's gotta go.  too predictable.  no adjustments.  shotgun, zone read, nothing else.  just not a pretty offense and i have always believed that, even when they are racking up points. 

also, other than the tackles, this offense is plenty talented.  

what's so ironic about this article is that the writer suggests we find bargain bin free agents that over contribute, now why does that sound familiar?

OH THAT'S BECAUSE GETTLEMAN HAS BEEN DOING THAT SINCE HE'S BEEN HERE 

48 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I agree personnel isn't the main issue and bashing Gettleman this early in the year is overreacting. There are some fair points to look at, like the lack of depth on the O-Line and failing to upgrade the pass rush, but like you said those players got the Panthers to the Superbowl last year. 

Attitude is the main problem right now. Cam's attitude in particular. A taunting penalty on a meaningless first down at the beginning of the game says it all to me. Regardless of the secondary being atrocious right now, the attitude of your leader and face of the franchise trickles down to the rest of the team. If Cam isn't right, I'm not surprised the rest of the team isn't right either. Sitting him for a game or two might be just what the team needs to turn it around, and to get Cam back in the right state of mind.

So basically, blame Cam?

Boy does this sound familiar.

13 minutes ago, greghardy'sAK-47 said:

i agree, but he will be scapegoat and rightfully so.  this team needs a new mind.  shula has taken us as far as we can go. 

and what shula wants to do is no surprise to most defenses.  that's why he's gotta go.  too predictable.  no adjustments.  shotgun, zone read, etc.  just not a pretty offense and i have always believed that even when they are racking up points. 

also, other than the tackles, this offense is plenty talented.  

Sure it is, and we'll win some games because of it this year. But the team isn't as talented as it could have been, nor is it even as talented as last year's roster. The thing is, a team that wants to run the ball off tackle and throw vertically has to value OTs the way the saints valued OGs in Bree's prime. They have to make sure they have good ones at any cost. Its integral to who they want to be.

The thing is though, how much blame can you really lay on Mike Remmers? Or Charles Johnson? Or Tre Boston?

You knew what you had in those players. There are lots of criticisms you can make about this team this year, and most are valid-but the one word you can't use to describe them is "new." Which forces you to ask yourself "isn't there somebody whose role it is to identify and upgrade these spots?" And "why hasn't he done so?"

That's why Gettleman is taking the blame from so many. He hasn't lived up to this obligation.

12 minutes ago, Adb6368 said:

If we continue to draft where I expect them to, which is the second half of the first round, a legit tackle or DE will NEVER be available. That doesn't happens at those positions.

Some successful offensive tackles...

Joe Staley, 49ers : Round 1, Pick 28
Mitchell Schwartz, Chiefs : Round 2, Pick 37
Cordy Glenn, Bills : Round 2, Pick 41
Terron Armstead, Saints : Round 3, Pick 75
David Bakhtiari, Packers : Round 4, Pick 109

And some not so successful ones...

Eric Fisher, Chiefs : Round 1, Pick 1
Luke Joeckel, Jaguars : Round 1, Pick 2
Matt Kalil, Vikings : Round 1, Pick 4
Ereck Flowers, Giants : Round 1, Pick 9
Taylor Lewan, Titans : Round 1, Pick 11
Andrus Peat, Saints : Round 1, Pick 13

Likewise, some successful defensive ends...

Muhammad Wilkerson, Jets : Round 1, Pick 30
Charles Johnson, Panthers : Round 3, Pick 83
Everson Griffin, Vikings : Round 4, Pick 100
Geno Atkins, Bengals : Round 4, Pick 120
Michael Bennett, Seahawks : Undrafted

And some...less so...

Tyson Jackson, Chiefs : Round 1, Pick 3
Vernon Gholston, Jets : Round 1, Pick 6
Derrick Harvey, Jaguars : Round 1, Pick 8
Aaron Maybin, Bills : Round 1, Pick 11
Erasmus James, Vikings : Round 1, Pick 18

Archived