• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm not willing to call it yet

Ricky Spanish

It's 4 weeks into the season and we're 1-3. Things don't look good. The team doesn't look like the team they were last year and no one knows why. It's not just any one thing, it's not just any two things, the team just looks like Crap all around. Cam has no time in the pocket to make throws, and when he does, he's missing open receivers and making terrible decisions. He has been beaten and abused all year and he isn't helping himself by trying to coast into the end zone without paying attention. Now he is concussed putting the season into further jeopardy. The Defense has no push on the line in the slightest and it finally culminated in what happened yesterday when our secondary had to go up against a decent QB. 

But again, it's week 4. We've been here before. Once in 2013 and again the next year in 2014. We looked just as bad, if not worse then. But will we come back from a poo start to win the division? Will we do it again? I don't really know. Not the way they've been playing. But until the fat lady sings, we're still in it. Right now Atlanta is our only competition for the division, and Shannahan has a LONG history of being a terrible second half of the season O coordinator, whereas we have a LONG history of being a great second half of the year team under Rivera. The secondary, while inexperienced, has looked serviceable up until yesterday. If the pass rush can turn it on, we can win because it will take the pressure off of them. If the Offensive line starts giving our QBs a chance to throw the ball and in turn they make good decisions with the football, we can win. 

So for those sitting here bragging about how right they are this week, good for you. I hope you're happy that you're right. With how shitty this team has looked, we're all looking for some silver lining to feel happy about. I can't really blame you for trying to polish the turd that is the first quarter of the 2016 season and if gloating about being right this week about not having Norman, or not signing that one free agent, or how Gettleman has doomed us long term, please do so if it makes you happy. Congratulations, you win the "I'm so smart " award. This week. Just know the season isn't over yet and I'm not willing to call the season a waste until we're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. It's a long season and each week is a different game. For all we know, the defense will turn around next week and set the single game record for turnovers just for shits and giggles. We look that bipolar this year so it wouldn't surprise me. We might have Derek "Buc Fucker" Anderson in at QB this week against... Oh look at that, the Bucs. 

So I'm not panicking. I'm not freaking out yet. I am concerned, mightily so, but I'm not about to have a meltdown. I'm going to wait this storm out because even if this year is a lost one, I still think we're in a good position to compete long term. We still have the pieces in place in Luke, TD, Cam, Olsen, KB, etc. For whatever reason things just aren't clicking right now. I have been a harsh critic of Rivera's in the past but he somehow manages to pull his teams together and pull wins out of his ass when things look the bleakest. I'm not ready to call the season a waste. Not yet. 

But if we lose to the Bucs then I'll totally be in "fug it" mode. 

i've had the same thoughts too.  the loss yesterday made me think about how hilariously bad the 2013 team looked when it got donkey punched by arizona to drop to 1-3 before the long winning streak.

but-and i'm heaving a deep, regretful sigh here because i'm sadly having to agree with the posters on this site who want the world's biggest cookie for being brave enough to criticize gettleidiot's personnel moves-the 2013 team had a much stronger, much more talented core on defense (particularly the front four) that played a major part in that winning streak that year.  like if all else failed we could at least collapse the pocket.  that just isn't the case this year.

what can we do to pressure the quarterback outside of asking our young corners to man up on the outside and just blitzing like hell?  not much.

Not panicked, definitely concerned. I'm also bothered by the amount of "fans" proud to say their QB has a concussion. But that's neither here nor there. It's been exposed that gettleman has failed to put all of the pieces around Cam to make this offense work. It's also evident that Cam has been playing either hurt or concussed since week one. It has also been put out the only way to beat Cam is when you hit high and mentally throw him off. 

I feel like we bounce back. The team comes together and really hold each other down. You get tired of being embarrassed. They will have to be the motivation for each other. Cam needs to get healthy, no doubt about that. 

I have no confidence, this is the worst defense we seen in the past 5 years and its only worse with td injured.  Offense can turn things around if oher cam and stew get heathy. For defense we need to do a major change in the secoundary boston has to be benched , coleman has to go back to fs and whorley and bene have to be replaced some how. Ill rather bring up sanchez from the practice squad then have whorely

8 minutes ago, hepcat said:

The 2013 1-3 team clearly had a solid defense but just couldn't close out close games. The 2016 1-3 team has an atrocious defense with no pass rush and what might be the worst secondary in the NFL. I'm not hopeful.

It's like if you combined the worst aspects of of 2013 and 2014 you'd get what's on the field in 2016. 

Which is really surprising to me because it's basically the same team from last year. I think we're missing vet presence on Defense more than we anticipated we would because the guys we did lose were all over the hill (aside from Norman) in Allen, Tillman, and Harper. 

1. I agree with you on the "I told you so" fans. To those fans, congrats. It's not like any GM can make perfect moves. Then again, I've heard the same fans say "Perhaps we don't need Norman after all" after our rookie CBs played alright vs. the first 3 teams. Especially Bradberry. So STFU. Start being a real fan and cheer for the team instead of being a pessimist.
  2. We have multiple issues but one we really lack is attitude. Whenever we play with attitude and a bit of anger, it gives us fuel and swagger. I'm afraid b/c we made it the SB, proved everyone wrong last year and more players have been given contract extensions, we're overly-confident and too laid back. Let's use this 1-3 to our advantage play hard and angry.
  3. On every pass attempt last year, Cam would check out each receiver before making a decision. Now, it seems he only looks for Benji or Olsen. Last week is the only exception. Perhaps start throwing to more receivers. I'm not the coach and maybe that's what he's already trying to do but just a thought.

Once Stewart returns, our running game will return and improve offense. Cam is awesome but you're going to run it in, RUN it in...not jog. Sign a FA for CB/DE. Wouldn't hurt. Last, might need to reshuffle the O-line and tweak the offensive scheme a bit. Seems like teams may have figured out a way to handle us.

I think there are just far too many holes to fix..Gettleman dropped the ball building this team..he's treating stop gap players like they are solutions and it's catching up to him

my hopes for this season are as low as they could be..we just don't have the swag and magic of last season anymore

In 2014 New England started the season by losing to the Dolphins, a loss no one expected,  Then they had a solid win against the Vikes, followed by a wtf nail biter against Oakland, followed by the Chiefs blowing their doors off.  It was as close to panic as it gets for New England fans.  There were even talks about Brady being done after only accounting for 4 passing TD and a high of 249 passing yards in the first four games, two of which he passed for less than 160 yards.  The Patriots rebounded and went on to 12-4 record that season, top seed in the AFC and an eventual title.  

The Panthers are a missed FG away from a similar 2-2 start.  Questions surround the team and our franchise QB.  This team has gotten off to as slow and as sloppy a start as they could have.  I think we've probably seen the worst performance we'll see this year.  At this point the team and the fans need to put this behind them and just move on.  Tampa is next up and we need to wear them the fug out.  It took the Chiefs humiliating New England in 2014 to wake that team up, I'm hoping the Falcons loss will have the same effect on us.

3 hours ago, hepcat said:

The 2013 1-3 team clearly had a solid defense but just couldn't close out close games. The 2016 1-3 team has an atrocious defense with no pass rush and what might be the worst secondary in the NFL. I'm not hopeful.

They are the worst. Allowing s receiver to go for 300 is unheard of even in college. Let alone in the NFL

Archived