• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lack of Pass Rush - Due to corners?

Jeremy Igo

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article105005881.html

“It’s going to come alive and when it comes alive it’s going to come in bunches,” Ealy said. “Ain’t nothing wrong with our pass rush. People that don’t understand that don’t know the game (and) need to try to find out, figure out what the game is all about. How it works. There’s a reason why for everything.”

JP gives a really good point here:

"

The quick-release passes likely have something to do with the Panthers’ defensive scheme. With rookie James Bradberry taking over as the No. 1 cornerback for the departed Josh Norman, defensive coordinator Sean McDermott has called for softer coverages from his corners than he did with Norman.

That has allowed opposing quarterbacks to complete slants and other underneath passes."

Giving up the shorter passes by allowing more of a cushion for the young corners likely has effected the pass rush. I have definitely noticed the ball is coming out so quick against us. I suspect that once Bradberry gets more experience, his coverage will tighten up and the sacks will come as a result. 

On quick passes you can't usually get to the quarterback but you can stay in your passing.lanes, get your hands up and try to knock down the pass which is usually coming low to the receiver on a short pass and short drop by the quarterback. How many knock downs do we have through 3 games?

7 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

On quick passes you can't usually get to the quarterback but you can stay in your passing.lanes, get your hands up and try to knock down the pass which is usually coming low to the receiver on a short pass and short drop by the quarterback. How many knock downs do we have through 3 games?

Knock downs are not a common thing. Not sure you can use that as a measuring stick. 

It was obvious what the defensive game plan was.  But the larger point is that it was enough to win the game.  Period.  It just was.  The defense did their job.  Sack numbers are not the only indication of a healthy defense.  So, while we look at that sack column and worry, it's important to keep in mind the end goal--limiting the other offense's point production.  And they did that.  If anything, the lack of sacks shows me this already bad ass team can improve.  (Not to mention the rash of injuries we've been hit with.) 

39 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Knock downs are not a common thing. Not sure you can use that as a measuring stick. 

Not common for us or not common in the league. I see ball batted all the time particularly when the quarterback isn't big and he has to throw over a taller line. The last year Hardy actually played here he had 11 himself. That doesn't include passes altered by a guy jumping in the air before it is thrown or passes batted down by linebackers and DBs. 

The OP does say "pass rush" so sacks alone doesn't put this into perspective. I think it's talent until I see more.

We sit here and dream about them signing dudes sitting on the couch eating chips. NO PASS RUSH 

No excuses for no pass rush. Call Jared Allen,. Trade for Pep. All we're asking for is one damn sack and we get excuses.

Been thinking this too.

Wasn't @KB_fan saying we have the highest 3 and out % last week? Combine that with how they're actually doing really well against the run allowing 2.5YPC the last two games, the defense is putting themselves in pass rush situations a good amount of the time. But I think offenses are taking the short pass on third down and our LBs are gobbling it up, leading to a lot of three and outs, not many sacks.

Archived