• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Welp...

Jeremy Igo

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yep, on 3rd and 5 no less. Sure doesn't like any receiver is expecting a pass just to get a first down.

The other part that is annoying is that we were rolling against Denver week 1 when we stopped doing the deep drops and didn't make our OL get great blocks. We make our OL work way harder than they should. Other teams don't ask their OL to block for 5-6 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

It's frustrating because it's like we know how to put together a methodical drive but we keep reverting to this need of hitting a big downfield play far too often. Look at the Seattle game last year as an example of how we can compete against a tough defense. 

This play was just Cam being greedy. He pump faked his first read (KB) and tried to go deep to Ginn on the safety up the seam. Then he bailed on the play and threw it away forcing the Panthers to punt.

The first down was there on his first read to KB. This completion would have put the Panthers in FG range.

Cam got greedy and kept going for the big play after losing the lead instead of taking what the defense was giving him.

Going for the first down is always more valuable than going for the touchdown when the offense is outside of their red zone. Especially, when you have 8 defenders all on the LoS.

Don't get greedy Cam! That is what the defense wants.

31 minutes ago, PanthersGOATFan336 said:

You know how the great ones sometimes can throw a receiver open meaning they don't have to be open but to a spot where they should be...yeah that'd be a welcome addition. Cam has to wait until he sees someone open sometimes 

it's not sometimes, it's all the time.

the one thing wrong in that picture is newton still has the ball in his hands. benjamin, ginn, and olsen are all open if the ball was already in the air...and his progression is in that order. benjamin for the first down, ginn for the check down, and olsen for the big play. 

43 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I don't get it. What are we looking here? The middle of the field is open, are you suggesting we run slants. Or are you suggesting cam should have hit the two on the bottom of the screen?

Yes.

The two underneath are open, and Cam should take what he's given. But Shula should also start calling some mid-field slants.

3 minutes ago, UpstatePanther said:

Yes.

The two underneath are open, and Cam should take what he's given. But Shula should also start calling some mid-field slants.

I get that, but the two underneath are still running their route

Double post sorry: I feel like every game we lose cam gets dissected. It's not a bad thing, but we all know he's good. He just had a bad game. A lot of experts rave over Palmer and he threw 4 picks. The first half we ran some quick 3 step drops a few times, we just need to get back to that.

slant route would do nothing here.

the defender trailing olsen would have picked up ginn immediately on a slant and rolled coverage closer to benjamin who should be the primary target.

olsen's job here is to clean out the defenders. he's drawing the attention of the linebacker trailing him, the safety upfield,  and forcing the cornerback on that side to choose between he and ginn.

ginn is the checkdown.

the only problem with this play is newton still holding the ball.

How many times does cam check down or take what he's given? He always goes for the home run or try something impossible, I really believe if he worked more so on his short game he would take his game to a new level.. But then it's the same argument where people say he has no touch on his throws.. He has flaws of course he does but he needs to understand it's not always there..

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

If I remember this play correctly, KB was open, but he had the laziest and slowest break ever, by the time he turned around Cam had already went to the next progression. Considering how KB did nothing except apparently run the wrong route on his one target, I'm guessing maybe KB threw off the timing on it and that's why Cam didn't force it in to him.

14 minutes ago, UpstatePanther said:

Right and read me again one more time. The first thing I said was that Cam should have taken what the defense gave him.

I read it. The only thing that could have worked was KB. I can't recall what he ran but it looks like he's going to cut or curl in that would have worked. I just feel like the bottom two routes would not have worked, unless Ted does a drag route.

Archived