• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers biggest problem, as I see it....

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Fox007 said:

Well yea they don't commit the penalties and I'd like to think they demand accountability but when it keeps happening over and over again what are we to think? Either they don't actually get on the players for penalties or the players say fug it I'm doing whatever I do....it's a problem either way and if we have to have less "fug it I'm doing what I do" players then fine.

I think we do execute the game plan and we come out and get to a lead and the other team thinks it over and counters what we do then we still just keep doing the same thing against the new defensive strategy...we need to self scout and watch those tapes and come up with the counter to what is countering us. Also snapping the ball at 0.1ms isn't helping at all...I mean the defense is going to jump regardless they aren't calling a penalty on the defense for jumping at a timeframe between 0-1 seconds. People got on Cam for Cam mistakes and there are some unrealistic homers in that regard but Cam should be allowed to screw up some without the wheels coming off all the way.

I know Cam could have played better, he'll say that too, but we gotta pick him up sometimes instead of it only being a 1 way street where Cam saves the day.

Of course there is plenty of blame to go around and the coaches share in that. Football is the ultimate team game and we either win or lose as a team.  But lets be honest here, you cant blame coaches for not motivating guys when you have so many teams leaders and guys who have been in the system for years. Guys like Davis and Luke shouldnt have to be reminded to be intense and stay focused.  Truth is that players should be getting on each other, coaches shouldnt have to be the one to bitch and complain.  This isnt high school or even college.  These guys are professionals who do this for a living.     

1 hour ago, KB_fan said:

I wonder if that's another example of how losing KB last year was a "blessing in disguise" in that it really did force unwanted change on our coordinators, they had to think outside the box?

I'm beginning to form the opinion that one of our biggest strengths (our continuity of players, coaches & coordinators) could also be one of our biggest weaknesses, that we're in a bit of a rut or at least too predictable to other teams, so confident in who we are that we haven't recognized the urgency to change...

We surprised teams last year and didn't have to adjust too much. This year everyone has seen how to beat the Panthers. Our biggest problem is coaching right now. Too many penalties, poor ST, and no adjustments. 

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Of course there is plenty of blame to go around and the coaches share in that. Football is the ultimate team game and we either win or lose as a team.  But lets be honest here, you cant blame coaches for not motivating guys when you have so many teams leaders and guys who have been in the system for years. Guys like Davis and Luke shouldnt have to be reminded to be intense and stay focused.  Truth is that players should be getting on each other, coaches shouldnt have to be the one to bitch and complain.  This isnt high school or even college.  These guys are professionals who do this for a living.     

Well I don't mean motivation really. I mean...do it this way or you're benched type of thing...or sit his ass in practice for another guy even just to make him think. If not then how does a coach go about demanding accountability? This mostly pertains to the STs penalties and nonsense that goes on there. The other teams don't seem to have issues finding gunners with competence but the Panthers....oh man...

But yea KB knows better and your best players cannot be the ones to cripple you...what do you do if KB keeps doing that? Some would say punishment...others say he makes up for it...would sitting KB make him think about it? I'm not talking about the whole game here I'm talking about if he sits a series and we are losing it should make him think. "Hey I could be out there helping the team but I played stupid, I can't do that next time"

Or we just replace those types of players but you can go most of the game without major penalties...you just wouldn't know that watching the Panthers play.

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

I was at the game yesterday and this is what was plain to me.  It is too convenient to just say poor play calling when we know that Cam can audibilize out of anything he wants.  Why isnt he changing the play at the line?  

It's very difficult to make play changes at the line when there's only a couple of seconds on the play clock when the play comes in. 

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

I'm not even sure it's lack of adjustments. I was at the game and I watched every play against Denver as well. It just seems like anytime we hit a rut on offense, we fall back into the deep drops.

I don't want to delve into the toilet like it appears we have. We are 1-2, we don't look as good as we did last year, blah, blah, blah. Not worth falling into the we suck poo, time to release Boston crap.

Was 100% on coaching.

Summary of yesterdays game.

We start off strong pressuring Bradford hitting him on every drop back.  Only getting 2 first downs in the first quarter.

Viking make adjustments. Viking start going to short drop backs, quick passes and using Rudolphs size on those quick 10 yard routes.  

We did nothing, continued to run the exact same thing until the scoreboard said final. The vikings picked us apart and we had no answer.

After Cam drove right down leading to a 10-0 start.  Vikings adjusted seeing them start to bring more blitzes not letting Cam sit back and bring them up and stuffing the run.

What did we do.  Well.....same ole thing. Drop back send all the WR 15-20+ yards down field and hope Cam could hold up for 5+ seconds.  The Only short routes you saw, were ones where you had a WR and Olsen right in the same area. No short quick dumps, no quick slants to use our WRs size to their advantage.

We stuck with our plan from the beginning, stuck with with it and got burned

2-3 sucessful slants and shot dumps and it brings back that 5-6 rusher keeping them homsst.  Giving Cam that time he had in the first Quarter to sit back and Toss those 30 yard passes to Ginn and Brown

Our biggest problems in order 

1) O play calling

When we face top DL's who can get after the QB, we MUST go to a 3 step drop offense. If not, it is gonna be sack and pressure city. 

2) OL

Our OT's are just God awful against good pass rushers. 

3) DE

Again, just awful. 

4) S

Boston is not a starting S in this league 

Next draft and offseason we gotta hit the T and DE position hard. 

1 minute ago, PrimeTimeHeel said:

Our biggest problems in order 

1) O play calling

When we face top DL's who can get after the QB, we MUST go to a 3 step drop offense. If not, it is gonna be sack and pressure city. 

2) OL

Our OT's are just God awful against good pass rushers. 

3) DE

Again, just awful. 

4) S

Boston is not a starting S in this league 

Next draft and offseason we gotta hit the T and DE position hard. 

We will probably pick up a LB in the first

I think the word is out that we can't adjust play calling to counter green-dog blitz. Vikings made heavy use of that yesterday and we had no answer. Broncos have provided a blue print for how to shut down our offense based on our inability or unwillingness to counter it with play calling. Not every opponent can pull it off or is willing to take the risk, but if they have more than one above average pass rusher at the 2nd or 3rd level they're going to go for it until we prove we can effectively counter it. 

Does anyone know how many of Cam's sacks (Vikings Game) came on a read option play? When you've got a defense who is sugaring blitzes (Vikings) in combination with the read option (Panthers), it would really be hard to tag this as the OC's fault. 

After game 1, I just don't understand why Cam continues to take so much heat in the pocket. For F's sake....run a 22 or 21 personnel, give Cam a dedicated blocker and retain the pass/rush mystery.

4 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

It's very difficult to make play changes at the line when there's only a couple of seconds on the play clock when the play comes in. 

Wasn't true most of the time on Sunday. Many times he snapped the ball with 5 -10 seconds left. That may have been the case with San Fran but not this week.

Archived