• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers biggest problem, as I see it....

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, tiger7_88 said:

Cam goes to the line with 2 plays.

Guess who gives him both?

Why do you immediately assume Cam chose the wrong play and that the other choice wasn't worse according to the defensive read he made?

That is stupid.  We can run several plays out of any formation. Maybe he had two plays he could call when Chud was here or in 2014 but this is Cam's offense and he can shift up things quite a bit including blocking protections, where the pass is going, where people line up excetera.

I guess I look to Cam because he is on the field reading the defense and is charged with changing the play and audibilizing.  Why is it you blame Shula when you have no clue what was called, what was changed and whether it was an execution or playcalling issue. 

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Why is it you blame Shula when you have no clue what was called, what was changed and whether it was an execution or playcalling issue. 

Because of their histories.

Cam was an awesome player in college.  Cam was an awesome player under Chud.  Now Cam is an awesome player under Shula.

Meanwhile, the only real success Shula has ever had in his career comes from the fact that he drew the lucky straw and Cam Newton fell into his lap.

Go and ask some Bama fans about their predictable offense during their years.  Go and check with Buc's fans about their years with Shula as their OC.

History.

Track records.

Look'em up sometime.

this has always been a problem with a shula run offense.  tale of two halves.  too many times this team comes out the gate looking like a juggernaut only to limp home.  

and yesterday they O put a lot of pressure on the defense to make stops by leaving points on the board in the first.  that always catches you against good Ds.  our defense holds them to 34 total yards in the first, the vikes come out and put together one solid drive and all of sudden the panthers are down.  the panthers go conservative in that 3rd quarter and it is a two score game by the time the 4th starts.  now we are right where the vikings D wants us, forced to throw the ball with a receiving corp that has been struggling to get open and an online that is struggling to give cam more than 2 seconds to pass.  

really frustrating team at times because you can tell they lose focus far too often.  not to mention undisciplined, particularly on offense.  they were sleep walking in that 3rd quarter and the play calling on offense was playing right into that sentiment.  no sense of urgency at all when everybody and their brother can see the tide is turning.  

1 minute ago, tiger7_88 said:

Because of their histories.

Cam was an awesome player in college.  Cam was an awesome player under Chud.  Now Cam is an awesome player under Shula.

Meanwhile, the only real success Shula has ever had in his career comes from the fact that he drew the lucky straw and Cam Newton fell into his lap.

Go and ask some Bama fans about their predictable offense during their years.  Go and check with Buc's fans about their years with Shula as their OC.

History.

Track records.

Look'em up sometime.

So the track record that counts is what they did for the Panthers.

Shula led the No 1 offense in 2015, lauded by most knowledgable pundits as being very creative and  developing a diverse rushing attack. Taught Cam most everything he knows.

Cam MVP quarterback who was outstanding in 2015 running and passing the ball.  Can be streaky at time and while usually great under pressure seems to be somewhat off since the Superbowl for some reason against teams that blitz wide and send backers blitzing on a delayed blitz.

All of the rest of your post is ancient history and totally irrelevant to anyone but a Shula hater.

26 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

*snip*

We have talked about the other issues including Cam missing Dickson for example on the safety. He was holding onto the ball even when he was being pressured relentlessly...well yea you have to adjust to that and get rid of the ball or decide to take off. But also those delayed blitzes work so well because they see our back staying or no short routes and they all come hard because of the design of the play in those instances....no RB in the flat or no hot route = all the LBs coming and sometimes the S. I mean what happens if Fozzy slips out after faking like he's blocking and we hit him with all our WRs down the field and all the LBs rushing...

And yes on some of those short passes they didn't work because they were pre determined and it looks stupid when that happens.

The team also does come out strong then they fade as the game goes on...we've seen it time and time again....how does that not point to the other teams coaching staff adjusting and ours staying pat? Are they that out of shape if not? On the TV since you were at the game they said Zimmer was not happy and they were going to make adjustments and Rivera said he WAS happy and the Panthers were playing well....0 adjustments.

We aren't blaming the OC alone but the biggest issue is clearly adjustments and penalties....who controls that? The coaching staff is the biggest weakness right now. Ron is in direct control of discipline.....STs not being up to par is on the HC....not adjusting to anything ever is on all of them...dropping passes in on the WRs....yea it's a total poo package right now and we have 20+ mil in cap space not being used to help the team. Plenty of blame to go around but trying to fix the smallest of issues isn't what I try to do when there are bigger issues to tackle first. We'll have the biggest gains with an OC who adjusts to the game being played and also cutting down on the damn penalties.

1 minute ago, Navy_football said:

Number one scoring offense. The defensive forced turnovers had a lot to do with that.

Yep.

Pretty sure we were #1 in average starting field position last year.

Yesterday? When Minn repeatedly pinned us deep?

Herp

Derp

BUT SHULA RAN A DOUBLE-REVERSE AND AN OPTION PITCH GUYZ HE'S A GENIUS

1 minute ago, Fox007 said:

We have talked about the other issues including Cam missing Dickson for example on the safety. He was holding onto the ball even when he was being pressured relentlessly...well yea you have to adjust to that and get rid of the ball or decide to take off. But also those delayed blitzes work so well because they see our back staying or no short routes and they all come hard because of the design of the play in those instances....no RB in the flat or no hot route = all the LBs coming and sometimes the S. I mean what happens if Fozzy slips out after faking like he's blocking and we hit him with all our WRs down the field and all the LBs rushing...

And yes on some of those short passes they didn't work because they were pre determined and it looks stupid when that happens.

The team also does come out strong then they fade as the game goes on...we've seen it time and time again....how does that not point to the other teams coaching staff adjusting and ours staying pat? Are they that out of shape if not? On the TV since you were at the game they said Zimmer was not happy and they were going to make adjustments and Rivera said he WAS happy and they we're playing well....0 adjustments.

We aren't blaming the OC alone but the biggest issue is clearly adjustments and penalties....who controls that? The coaching staff is the biggest weakness right now. Ron is in direct control of discipline.....STs not being up to par is on the HC....not adjusting to anything ever is on all of them...dropping passes in on the WRs....yea it's a total poo package right now and we have 20+ mil in cap space not being used to help the team. Plenty of blame to go around but trying to fix the smallest of issues isn't what I try to do when there are bigger issues to tackle first. We'll have the biggest gains with an OC who adjusts to the game being played and also cutting down on the damn penalties.

But the problem is that the coaches don't commit penalties or make in game adjustments.  Players do that.  Coaches can prepare players to play but players do the execution.  I promise you that Rivera will be jumping people this week but that only goes so far.  Come Sunday it will the players that execute the game plan.

As for the rest of your post, realistic and considered.

8 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Yep.

Pretty sure we were #1 in average starting field position last year.

Yesterday? When Minn repeatedly pinned us deep?

Herp

Derp

BUT SHULA RAN A DOUBLE-REVERSE AND AN OPTION PITCH GUYZ HE'S A GENIUS

How many drives does any team convert when they are inside their own 20.  Not that many.  That was also a very good point, we got pinned deep and didn't flip the field that well.  And special teams was a big problem. That is the point, stop focusing on one problem and person and missing the much bigger issues because you have an agenda.

And really I am done here .  You have never changed your mind and stopped slurping Cam and blaming Shula since day 1 so I wont waste my time.  I will just wait to hear from more balanced posters who are more objective and don't have an ax to grind

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

But the problem is that the coaches don't commit penalties or make in game adjustments.  Players do that.  Coaches can prepare players to play but players do the execution.  I promise you that Rivera will be jumping people this week but that only goes so far.  Come Sunday it will the players that execute the game plan.

As for the rest of your post, realistic and considered.

Well yea they don't commit the penalties and I'd like to think they demand accountability but when it keeps happening over and over again what are we to think? Either they don't actually get on the players for penalties or the players say fug it I'm doing whatever I do....it's a problem either way and if we have to have less "fug it I'm doing what I do" players then fine.

I think we do execute the game plan and we come out and get to a lead and the other team thinks it over and counters what we do then we still just keep doing the same thing against the new defensive strategy...we need to self scout and watch those tapes and come up with the counter to what is countering us. Also snapping the ball at 0.1ms isn't helping at all...I mean the defense is going to jump regardless they aren't calling a penalty on the defense for jumping at a timeframe between 0-1 seconds. People got on Cam for Cam mistakes and there are some unrealistic homers in that regard but Cam should be allowed to screw up some without the wheels coming off all the way.

I know Cam could have played better, he'll say that too, but we gotta pick him up sometimes instead of it only being a 1 way street where Cam saves the day.

Archived