• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers biggest problem, as I see it....

Jeremy Igo

I was left wondering yesterday why we *seem* so stubbornly insistent that we're going to play the game our way no matter what the other team does.  I know that's a good goal to have because it lets us dictate the game and we can usually do it because our run offense can do so many things.  However when that's not working I would really like to see a bit more of a shift to literally anything else before it's panic time.

I would dream of going so far as to say no adjustments were made because that's not only foolish but would be an uninformed statement but from a fan's perspective it sure looked like we didn't change the *right* things.  Those intermediate passes that we were being gifted but didn't take hurt my soul.

Our coordinators have seemed to get lazy this year. Adjustments last year were one of our advantages. This year it's been a big problem. Letting your QB get sacked 9 times and letting a sub par offense score more than 20 in two games want get it done. Yeah we faced two good defenses but the roadmap has been made and until we adjust we will lose. 

Watching the game now. A few things I saw

KBs illegal block killed the game. That play would have won us the game. But at the same time that was the perfect time for Rivera to go for it on 4th down. They wouldn't have stopped us. Riveras balls must descend when we get in situations like that. It's what made him a good coach and gave our team swag.

Also refs

Pass rush is an obvious problem. But the defense played well enough to win most of the game. Cam had a bad game but he's allowed to have one every once in a while.

After watching the highlights again this morning, in efforts to own down my breakfast from nausea from our playing, I noticed that on the Safety and the last INT, recently extended LT Oher was being abused all day.  On the safety the DE simply bullrushed Oher right in the chops and put him on his back then proceeded to step over avoid Norwell trying to provide some assistance and take Cam down in the endzone with arms around his neck.  Secondly that last INT which completely cant believe Cam shot putted a duck up in the air while being blindsided from behind by yet another missed assignment/block by our "Blindside" Oher.  Tackle position has been one of this teams Achilles's heels now for 2-3 years.  In Gettleman I trust, but come on G-man this is getting ridiculous.  We need to make some necessary moves/changes to help this team win.  I am not putting all of the blame on Oher or Remmers, you can also add Cam holding the ball too long, coverage sacks, playing calling,etc.  But Oher and Remmers are continuously being abused by 1-on-1s in game. 

phew, had to rant before imploding from the inside of rage from what I was in presence to witness yesterday.

Need a win Sunday.  Seeing other posts that say Sunday's game is a must-win..  This is the NFL they are all must wins.

P.S. Keep Pounding.

This is Falcon and Saint football, how do you expect to beat them at their own game?

Panthers historically never had great offenses. We put all the elite talent on the D line and have historically brought that pressure. I don't see it. Didn't see it in the offseason don't see it now. They compromised the future at the second most important position on the field (DE) to satisfy the media and make a political stand. How's that working out with all those JAGS?

Favor isn't fair. Rules are a little different for elite level players, it's always been like that for a reason. The reason is they help you to win a couple games you would have lost otherwise. You've got to keep your elite players not let people who don't like your team in the first place media strip your roster for their own benefit. 

The future at DE will either be forgiveness or a whole bunch of money to fix because it takes DE at least three years to know if they're a bust or not. We don't have the time!

22 minutes ago, Snake said:

Adjustments last year were one of our advantages. This year it's been a big problem.

I wonder if that's another example of how losing KB last year was a "blessing in disguise" in that it really did force unwanted change on our coordinators, they had to think outside the box?

I'm beginning to form the opinion that one of our biggest strengths (our continuity of players, coaches & coordinators) could also be one of our biggest weaknesses, that we're in a bit of a rut or at least too predictable to other teams, so confident in who we are that we haven't recognized the urgency to change...

55 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

First half they ran the ball, second half they abandoned the run almost completely and asked the o-line to pass protect forever.

With 5 minutes left in the game, Cam had 4 2nd half pass attempts.

FOUR.

(And, yes, there were some sacks that were designed as passing plays.)

I don't get how some people think that all we did was pass in the 2nd half.  When it was clear that we had to finally score points quick near the very end?  Yeah, we went exclusively pass.  Before that?  Not so damn much.  ESPECIALLY on 1st and 2nd downs which were almost exclusively runs.

I was at the game yesterday and this is what was plain to me.  It is too convenient to just say poor play calling when we know that Cam can audibilize out of anything he wants.  Why isnt he changing the play at the line?  Why are we getting caught in 2 and 3rd and 20s.  This offense is predicated on Cam making reads and changing things at the line.  Is he getting confused and not knowing what to do? Are defenses changing things up after the snap so what we thought was going to work doesnt.  Is Cam suddenly letting Shula call all the plays and not doing what he did so well last year? 

And what about execution? On the throw that Ginn dropped on third down, Philly was open in the flat and I dont just mean open.  It was a blown coverage and literally there was no one within 20 yards of him.  Cam never even looked that way.  He was focused on GInn and never even surveyed the field.  On at least two occasions in the second half, he was throwing a dump down that looked already determined. Olsen was wide open down the seam.  On the interception to Ginn, Benjamin was being covered 1 on 1 on the opposite side of the field.  Why is that not worth a throw just to see if he can make a play.  In the first half the Viking were not blitzing as much and we moved the ball.  In the second half they spread out the DEs in wide 9 position and came from the outside  while delayed blitzing up the middle.  

It seems to me that Cam is getting rattled under pressure, something he has done of good job of handling in the past. I dont know if he is trying to do too much by holding the ball looking for a big play or all the physical punishment he has taken, but he doesnt look himself.

I dont know what was called so it is hard to say the play call sucked, But I know the result was poor.  Everyone here has their whipping dogs and will blame who they already think is the problem.  That is expected.  But we have come out fired out in the first half and totally lackadaisical and uninspired in the second half.  And that has been in all three games.  We have given up numerous points in the second half in all three games and turned the ball over without generating turnovers ourselves. How many times did Kuechly allow a catch to be caught right in front of him for a first down.  Bth he and Davis slapped their hands in disgust too many times after the play while not doing anything about it during the play.  Obviously our execution in the second half has been poor.  On both sides of the ball. You can blame whoever or whatever you want, but this team is not playing up to their potential and that is across the board.  Blaming coaching or playcalling alone ignores several elephants in the room and that is lack of desire, lack of focus and poor execution. And that blame needs to be shared with the players as well as the coaches.  

48 minutes ago, mwright350 said:

I was left wondering yesterday why we *seem* so stubbornly insistent that we're going to play the game our way no matter what the other team does.  I know that's a good goal to have because it lets us dictate the game and we can usually do it because our run offense can do so many things.  However when that's not working I would really like to see a bit more of a shift to literally anything else before it's panic time.

I would dream of going so far as to say no adjustments were made because that's not only foolish but would be an uninformed statement but from a fan's perspective it sure looked like we didn't change the *right* things.  Those intermediate passes that we were being gifted but didn't take hurt my soul.

You make a very good point.

There are very few teams that can have the attitude "Look, I'm gonna show you exactly what we're going to do and you can't stop us from doing it!"

It happens occasionally in the college game.

Almost never in the pro game.

7 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

With 5 minutes left in the game, Cam had 4 2nd half pass attempts.

FOUR.

(And, yes, there were some sacks that were designed as passing plays.)

I don't get how some people think that all we did was pass in the 2nd half.  When it was clear that we had to finally score points quick near the very end?  Yeah, we went exclusively pass.  Before that?  Not so damn much.  ESPECIALLY on 1st and 2nd downs which were almost exclusively runs.

Well then, somebody has a lot of work to do and it ain't me because a blueprint is out there now

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I was at the game yesterday and this is what was plain to me.  It is too convenient to just say poor play calling when we know that Cam can audibilize out of anything he wants.  Why isnt he changing the play at the line?  

Cam goes to the line with 2 plays.

Guess who gives him both?

Why do you immediately assume Cam chose the wrong play and that the other choice wasn't worse according to the defensive read he made?

Archived