• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is awful.

Jeremy Igo

Its happening.

Cam's miracle escapes and runs out of bad plays to pull Shula's fat out of the fire time and again over the years are no longer thought of as amazing and awe inspiring and something to savor when they occur.

They have now become every-game expectations.

Thus is the life of one Cameron Jerrell Newton.

3 minutes ago, Castavar said:

Here's what I don't get. Shula continually draws up long developing routes that are not suited for our WR's. You want twitchy, good route running WR's to do that. We have big bodied WR's that can box people out. Play to your strengths and send them on some easy quick 5 yard slant routes and let them body them out. It was there the whole game yesterday. We continued to find ourselves in I don't know how many 3rd and longs. Not to mention the lack of screen plays to counter the blitz. I don't even give a fug anymore. I've hated Shula since his Alabama days and never thought he was a good OC. Bucs were smart to fire Shula, and just so happened to win the superbowl the next year.

I think we have to know Cam's strengths and weaknesses. A lot of folks here aren't willing to recognize that Cam's short accuracy is pretty spotty. He throws some of the nicest passes down field you'll ever ask for, but those quick slants, screen passes, and quick hitters just aren't his cup of tea. He's more likely to throw it in the dirt than hit a guy in stride. Plus, it negates his ability to improvise. When you send a lot of coverage down the field following guys like Ted Ginn and Corey Benjamin, you're eliminating a lot of the secondary from the play. When we really stretch them out, Cam needs to know that's his cue to take off if he has a lane. He doesn't have to reel off 11 yard runs all day, but just getting those few extra yards on busted plays would have made a world of difference for us. He just wasn't interested in running the ball yesterday.

8 minutes ago, Vagrant said:

I think we have to know Cam's strengths and weaknesses. A lot of folks here aren't willing to recognize that Cam's short accuracy is pretty spotty. He throws some of the nicest passes down field you'll ever ask for, but those quick slants, screen passes, and quick hitters just aren't his cup of tea. He's more likely to throw it in the dirt than hit a guy in stride. Plus, it negates his ability to improvise. When you send a lot of coverage down the field following guys like Ted Ginn and Corey Benjamin, you're eliminating a lot of the secondary from the play. When we really stretch them out, Cam needs to know that's his cue to take off if he has a lane. He doesn't have to reel off 11 yard runs all day, but just getting those few extra yards on busted plays would have made a world of difference for us. He just wasn't interested in running the ball yesterday.

Just this year he has hit multiple WRs on slants and crosses. He also has set up screens as well.  Problem is that if your OC doesn't give you those plays you can't run them. Blame Cam when he misses the chance,  not when he isn't given one. 

I saw Cam with "Happy Feet", and that is the first time I have ever seen Cam with happy feet that he did run at every chance.

Its ok to design long developing pass plays, but if you have a 5 yard crosser with those plays .... you will never lose yards.

3rd and 5 ... you dont send all WR's on 20 yards routes.

Someone must have challenged Cam to stay in the pocket

Totally different thought>>>>>>>>> How much did the protest affect the team?I am worried about the Atlanta game with the team thinking about a statement rather than total focus on the Falcons

19 minutes ago, Vagrant said:

of course we all know cam isn't alex smith and isn't an ideal west coast offense QB.  but, that's why we have two giant hulking wideouts and a tall TE all of whom should have a wide catch radius.  it's supposed to help mitigate that.  even on passes that aren't perfect kelvin and to a lesser extent funchess are big targets that should be capable of boxing out any DB in the league for the ball.

1 hour ago, SOJA said:

Lots of things go wrong on this play and I don't think anyone is single handedly to blame. 

first off, the offense wasn't put in a position to succeed all game and this play is a prime example. Run a quick slant here with Ginn and that maybe goes for 30 yards if he can break the first tackle. 

Second, the o-line made Cam's bad game, worse. 

finally, Cam's gotta know he has Fozzy has a check down there to his right. Instead he scrambles left. Not saying he did the wrong thing here, but again the play could have been salvaged with a fantastic play by Newton, plays we've come to expect him to make. 

Agreed. Shula relies on Cam's legs to save us from bad protection instead of calling plays that would. We're good enough that it works against most teams in the league but any decent pass rush exposes it for what it is.

Just now, MechaZain said:

Agreed. Shula relies on Cam's legs to save us from bad protection instead of calling plays that would. We're good enough that it works against most teams in the league but any decent pass rush exposes it for what it is.

not just a Shula thing...

FO relies on Cam's legs and that allows them to not stress upgrading talent at certain spots

neither of our OTs can handle speed.  They factor in Cam's size and ability and opt to leave it as is. 

We also lack at the RB department because they know they can call in Cam and grind him.  Tolbert is a RB but called a FB.  He is a weak RB.  Stewart is the only grinder on a team built schematically to grind between the tackles 

Just now, CRA said:

not just a Shula thing...

FO relies on Cam's legs and that allows them to not stress upgrading talent at certain spots

neither of our OTs can handle speed.  They factor in Cam's size and ability and opt to leave it as is. 

We also lack at the RB department because they know they can call in Cam and grind him.  Tolbert is a RB but called a FB.  He is a weak RB.  Stewart is the only grinder on a team built schematically to grind between the tackles 

I hear you but the WRs were another immediate need and with the exception of maybe passing on La'el, we haven't had many opportunities to significantly upgrade OT/RB. I'm actually fine with waiting on the solutions to come through the draft but in the meantime it's weird how our offense ignores our weaknesses.

21 hours ago, CarolinaNut said:

Is it just me or does Khalil not get his face shoved backwards..should have been hands to the face

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Surprised no one else has mentioned this instead of a non-existent horse collar. Looked like Kalil's neck is gonna break in the gif.

We deserved a loss that game, but I'm sick and tired of watching the absolute mess that is NFL officiating.

Archived