• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kawaan Short

Vagrant

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Have you missed all the plays where our LBers have been sealed off? Did you miss the Denver RBs getting almost 200 total yards and 3 TDs? Sorry, but I watched and I don't believe our DTs have been nearly as good as 2015. Doesn't mean they won't be, but Short is absolutely not being double teamed every play. If he had been, then how does his slip by one guard and make the few nice plays he has made. Hard to slip under a blocker if there is another one double teaming you from the other side.

I think Short is a great player, he was downright dominant last year. There were games where he was disrupting the entire game. We have absolutely not seen that guy yet.

I think the defense has a ways to go even in the front seven with how we're rotating the line but I agree, I don't think he's been at 2015 level. Not bad, just not as great and there's plenty of time.

10 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Huh? Who is arguing to not pay him? This thread is about whether or not he made a good decision to not take the offer he had. Take the blinders off guys. We've given up 48 points to Trevor Siemian and Blaine Gabbert. If we are playing well and Short was balling out, we shouldn't be giving up those points. This isn't about being happy saving cap money. I'd love to pay Short $15M per year for the guy in 2015 to play every year. We've seen flashes of that guy, but especially against Denver, he was not 2015 Short and he was not getting double teamed every play.

Nobody is watching with blinders or we would be making comments similar to yours. Regardless, nobody was talking to you to begin with which is why you're so apparently perplexed as to the nature of the content of our posts.

"oh golly guys that's totally not the discussion I'm talking about"

24 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

No, it's not. We can still have a fine season if Ealy, Johnson and Star play more consistently. They just gotta step it up. Short's demands for +14 million a year are insane. Cox gets double teamed on ever play and still gets penetration or collapses the pocket on every other play. Short doesn't.

If KK can't do the same then he doesn't deserve that contract. It's really that simple. I'm glad he decided to bet on himself because it's not looking good at the moment. He should have taken the contract offer before camp.

I would just want the best from everybody. KK made huge game changing impact plays last year. The better KK plays the better chance we have to go back to the Super Bowl 

16 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Huh? Who is arguing to not pay him? This thread is about whether or not he made a good decision to not take the offer he had. Take the blinders off guys. We've given up 48 points to Trevor Siemian and Blaine Gabbert. If we are playing well and Short was balling out, we shouldn't be giving up those points. This isn't about being happy saving cap money. I'd love to pay Short $15M per year for the guy in 2015 to play every year. We've seen flashes of that guy, but especially against Denver, he was not 2015 Short and he was not getting double teamed every play.

So what exactly are you blaming him for? Niners scored points off already being in the red zone cuz of a cam pick, Ted ginn being lazy on kick return, Luke getting beat on a pass play, and a blown coverage. It's not like they gashed us for long drives all game they never ran the ball that well. Gabbert is a mobile QB that can escape from pressure. Short is fine.

More importantly Short only had 5 tckls and no sacks threw the first 2 games of last season. So your attentions of calling him out  specifically for defense struggles doesnt hold much validation.

1 hour ago, London Loves Luke said:

I think the whole defence still needs to gel, hard to point to one person when some of our big names (TD, Luke, Short, CJ) are struggling to make consistent plays. I think it's more just the whole D getting into the flow of things and trusting each other.

Weirdly, I think one of standout players so far has been CJ, he's been quietly effective in the first two games.

Agree with you on CJ. He has played the run well and had some key pressures. So close to a sack, he will get one soon.

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

TD and Kuechly have been out of place a lot more than I would have expected,

You have one game with a rookie QB with no film available because it's his first game ever and one game with a QB in a new, totally different system so no film available there either. TD & Luke are the best in the league because they study film for breakfast, lunch & dinner, so to speak, to be able to diagnose an offense. They didn't have that regarding either game. However, in case no one was paying attention yesterday late in the game because, well, beer :), they had  Gabbert & Chip Kelly figured out by the 2nd half & shut them down. Turnovers gave the 49ers their 2nd half points, not LB or any defensive play.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

He has been getting doubled a lot---that is how Star got his sack.  We need both--money better spent than on Norman at CB---Butler needs to show something fairly soon.  He has flashed, and it is way too soon to tell

Yes. If he gets doubled all the time that creates more 1 v 1. Hopefully we can capitalize.

12 minutes ago, hepcat said:

It's been two games. He will still have close to 10 sacks, maybe more. Short is getting a big contract either from the Panthers or elsewhere.

chances were already low he could reproducd the number of sacks as last season to begin with. Sure its possible but not very likely. Thats exactly why giving him a top DT contract didnt make sense. he can play very well and come back down to earth in expectations contract wise.

19 minutes ago, csx said:

chances were already low he could reproducd the number of sacks as last season to begin with. Sure its possible but not very likely. Thats exactly why giving him a top DT contract didnt make sense. he can play very well and come back down to earth in expectations contract wise.

Short didn't register a sack until the 5th game last year

Archived