• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not activating CAP yesterday is baffling

Jeremy Igo

From what I've seen, Fozzy has a completely different running style from Stewart. While Cap seems to be similar, but lacks the blocking skills for max protection at this point.

Case in point there is the triple option play that always seems to bring good yardage. Where Cam fakes a handoff for a run up the gut then sweeps out drawing attention to a Quarterback run only to pitch out to Fozzy for the wide sweep.... This play works because we do run up the gut so often and when we don't it's often a run for Cam. 

5 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

I'm starting to worry about the coaching staff again. These lapses in judgment, wow. It's Year 6. 

Can you call it a lapse in judgement when the back up guy that they felt comfortable with gained 100 yards?

1 hour ago, d-dave said:

CAP showed flashes last season and played well in the pre-season, especially in Pittsburgh.  Am I wrong is not wanting to place the trust of the entire season on yet another rookie?

1. No, you're not wrong.

2. Cameron Artis-Payne isn't a rookie.

3. If Stewart is out for a significant amount of time, who DO you think we can trust at running back?  Using your standard of "proven carries", I'm assuming your answer would be Tolbert?  Because if you are consistent, your answer sure as hell can't be Whitaker, since the heaviest workload he's ever had in a single season is 32 rushes, a number that CAP exceeded in his rookie year (45).

4. If your answer is Tolbert, I think that would be a horrible choice.

Not sure if it was posted already but Tolbert said this about the last drive when Fozzy was just shy of 100 yds.

"I was actually supposed to go in on the last drive," Tolbert said. "And I was like, 'No. Let him go.' He only needed like eight or nine yards (for 100).

2 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

At this point nobody has any idea how CAP would or could handle a full NFL season.

The same can be said for any rookie or back-up running back in the league that hasn't been depended on to tote the rock on a regular basis.  For some reason some of you think that CAP is unusual in that regard and I just find that puzzling.

All I was saying was that he carried the ball an average of 23 times a game in a full SEC season and never missed a down or had an injury.  In general, when you don't have proven performance established at the professional level, one tries to find out how he did on the college level to see if there's a possibility it could translate to the NFL.  This is called "scouting".

It doesn't add up. If he's so raw shouldn't he be getting game reps before Stew's injured and we're forced to put him out there? Everything you're saying makes sense for a rookie, not for a sophomore behind a injury prone starter.

2 hours ago, chris999 said:

Well the coaches obviously think so.

I think the coaches dont think CAP is a capable starter or we would have seen him more last year and this year.

The coaches like and trust Fozzy more, and yesterday shows why.

It's more about strategy.

Stewart and Artis-Payne are pretty much the same kind of back. Whittaker is a change-up, and works better in that role than as a workhorse.

6 hours ago, SportsCrazie4172 said:

But yes, Cap should have been activated but Fozzy played a helluva game..

Maybe the coaches knew that Fozzy had this kind of game in him. Most of us (myself included) were pretty surprised that he could handle the lion's share of the runs.

For the record, Ron has already made it clear that if Stew is out, CAP will be the primary back. Stew didn't leave the game for his ankle, which is what they'd been watching all week.

I had bubble guts when I read the inactive list..

Regardless I think CAP is the only true other RB we have behind J Stew. Knowing he may be hurt in any game we need CAP ready.. Luckily Fozzy did well but I felt we were in control at that point.

I really trust in CAP and Byrd as 2 young play makers. Not sure I even saw our 3rd tight end hit the field until the end either. I would much rather have CAP activated and use Tolbert as a 3rd Tight End if we ever really needed him..

Archived