• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not activating CAP yesterday is baffling

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Maybe they didn't activate CAP because they were confident that Fozzy could handle the load in the event Stew went down...

Because he certainly did. 

That plus the whole history of Stewart being banged up all week but being fine on Sunday.

Can't help but wonder if those days might not be coming to an end.

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

CAP's senior season at Auburn in the Southeastern Conference, he had 300+ carries in only 13 games.

Do you trust him for 300 carries this season?  The NFL is a different game.

I hope he pulls through and kicks butt, but I'd like more of an insurance policy as well.  Who that is, that's a great question.

3 minutes ago, d-dave said:

Do you trust him for 300 carries this season?  The NFL is a different game.

I hope he pulls through and kicks butt, but I'd like more of an insurance policy as well.  Who that is, that's a great question.

At this point nobody has any idea how CAP would or could handle a full NFL season.

The same can be said for any rookie or back-up running back in the league that hasn't been depended on to tote the rock on a regular basis.  For some reason some of you think that CAP is unusual in that regard and I just find that puzzling.

All I was saying was that he carried the ball an average of 23 times a game in a full SEC season and never missed a down or had an injury.  In general, when you don't have proven performance established at the professional level, one tries to find out how he did on the college level to see if there's a possibility it could translate to the NFL.  This is called "scouting".

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

That would be odd considering that Tolbert's fumble in the Super Bowl was infinitely more damaging and it doesn't seem to have affected their attitude towards letting him come in and get his 2 yards per carry.

But whether you like him or not, Tolbert has a proven track record that far exceeds that of CAP

Again I'm just pointing out something I noticed because he got far less work in non-preseason games after that 

3 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

The Panthers have rushed for 333yds in two games for a 4.8yds per carry average, so I'm not about to question the coaching staff when what they're doing is working. I watched that same 49er defense shut down all world RB Todd Gurley in week one and we shredded them yesterday.

They really did a good job finding ways to run the ball against SF.  Fozzy is not a move the pile type of guy like Stewart is, and they shifted the play calling to adjust.  As much derision as Shula gets here, he really did a good job yesterday. 

38 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

That's a bit of a reach, don't you think? Bersin is a good football player and a hard worker who would easily make another team if the Panther cut him.

Now that's a reach.. I was just jkn honestly but bersin is a reserve receiver on this roster CAP should be activated.. and I'm tired of Tolbert getting so many touches he has no explosion stick to screens..

26 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

At this point nobody has any idea how CAP would or could handle a full NFL season.

The same can be said for any rookie or back-up running back in the league that hasn't been depended on to tote the rock on a regular basis.  For some reason some of you think that CAP is unusual in that regard and I just find that puzzling.

All I was saying was that he carried the ball an average of 23 times a game in a full SEC season and never missed a down or had an injury.  In general, when you don't have proven performance established at the professional level, one tries to find out how he did on the college level to see if there's a possibility it could translate to the NFL.  This is called "scouting".

I don't doubt that he's a quality player in the SEC, but how many guys have we seen from college fail.  I'm not going to get into a scouting discussion because I'm anything but a scout and I know it.

CAP showed flashes last season and played well in the pre-season, especially in Pittsburgh.  Am I wrong is not wanting to place the trust of the entire season on yet another rookie?  If we do have to place the burden on CAP, I hope he excels.  

Archived