• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not activating CAP yesterday is baffling

Jeremy Igo

Bersin was probably on for a 5 WR set in the offense we never used, or insert conspiracy theory here.

CAP was inactive because I didn't think they anticipated for J Stew to get another separate injury or they wanted to boost Fozzys confidence. 

Webb... What the fug? Is he in Rivera's dog house? 

Carrying 4 active RBs is a bit crazy unless all are ST participants. I don't think its worth over-analysing, you trust JStew to be healthy and have a contingency in Fozzy if he can't. Now that we know he isn't healthy, you activate CAP. The bigger head scratcher for me is Tolbert's inability to get minimal yardage when he hits the line at speed.

Didn't Webb make a dumb play on ST last week?  If so, I'm thinking making him inactive had a domino effect due to the player's versatility...  Webb covers kicks/punts, blocks on kicks/punts, and is a gunner...  Bersin has done the same.  CAP has only appeared as one of the two returners on kickoffs, AFAIK.  I'm guessing Webb is in the doghouse, as I'm fairly certain he made a bone headed play last week, and the need for a ST'er to fill all his different roles is why Bersin was active over CAP.

That's my only guess...

1 hour ago, d-dave said:

Hopefully lesson learned.  I guess the team didn't think Stewart would be out this early.

We need to have a very solid plan behind Stewart.  Fozzy had a good game aside from the fumble.  He was fast, cut well, and wasn't completely poo in the pile.  Tolbert's best days are behind him.  He can make a play here and there, he was sucking wind real bad at points.  Time to maybe let him lose some weight or something.  CAP has potential, and made some good plays in the preseason, but is he the kind of back who can carry is even 200 times a season in a committee?

I'm worried about our RB depth.

Man, I couldn't agree with you more. Fozzy really looked good.

Tolbert's is not getting it done.

Time for CAP to move on up!!!

Always, I mean ALWAYS got to have a backup for Stewart!!!

1 hour ago, stirs said:

Bersin plays special teams, right?

Did anyone else see him fly right past the kick returner on that one kick-off? I had no idea he played special teams until I saw his hair flow right past the guy. I couldn't help but laugh out loud for like a minute straight.

40 minutes ago, Dick the Butcher said:

Maybe the coaches trusted what Stew and there doctors were saying. There is a human element. Hate that it happened, but maybe we sit Stew for a few games and have him rested for the playoff push. 

You mean like last year when he got hurt in the SB ?  J Stews and injury waiting to happen any game, much as I like him when he IS healthy.

The coaches are little too preoccupied with diversifying depth. I get that Byrd and Bersin have completely different skillsets, but we should not have more than 5 WRs active when KB and Olsen are taking nearly all the targets anyway. RB situation is the same deal. We have a backup, a goalline back who's less reliable than our QB at short yardage now, and the alleged starter-in-the-making who watches from the sidelines.

I just don't buy this claim that CAP is the future anymore. There's no way he would ever be inactive if we seriously see him as our next starter, especially given Stewart's injury history. The "CAP and Stew are similar runners" excuse just tells me they could easily rotate him in and don't. 

Archived