• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Olsen moves into the top 10

Jeremy Igo

10 hours ago, jbland said:

Best trade in franchise history. 

I agree.

9 hours ago, TheRed said:

Damn you Marty Hurney!!!!!

Wait...

What do you mean? Gettleman is the one responsible for the only clutch receiver the Panthers have on the field. Oh wait, I mean he is the one responsible for only allowing the Panthers to have one clutch receiver on the field.

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Gronk's goal is to be the dumbest player ever inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

He's definitely on pace to achieve that goal.

I dont think Gronk is that dumb, he just likes to have fun. Hes make great investments with his money and does a lot for his community too.

Why you so cranky Scot?

1 minute ago, csx said:

We didnt use the TE much at all before The new staff so I dont think it would have been much different than in Chicago 

I had a chance to talk to Chris Spielman the year Olsen was drafted. It was the same year that we hired Jeff Davidson as our OC. Davidson was an acquaintance of Spielman and had formerly coached tight ends (in New England, I think).

Spielman felt like if Davidson had any say in who we drafted, Greg Olsen would definitely be the guy.

Obviously, he wasn't. So maybe Davidson didn't get much of a voice (which is reasonable given he was new and Fox was kind of a control freak) or maybe Fox's tendency to prefer blocking tight ends was explained to him. Unknown.

I'd agree it's probably better that we got Olsen later rather than right from the start.

13 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Amazing how great Greg is and how he can realistically be in the top 5 of all time before it's all said and done. And then you look at Tony Gonzalez and you just see one of those untouchable records...

Tony Gonzalez revolutionized the position, but if we're talking about how good a player was at their absolute peak he starts to lose some context there. During his prime years in KC he was legitimately the only option on offense. He did a lot of splitting out wide, which was new for the position. The most impressive thing about Gonzalez to me was his longevity. He's what you'd call a compiler to a degree. A player that takes such good care of themselves that they can post strong numbers year after year, but their peak play could be argued as inferior to other options. You're talking about a player that averaged 115 targets per season with those numbers being skewed by his early usage. He sat right around the 120-160 mark his entire career. If you look at what Gronkowski has done, his second year in the league was superior to anything Tony ever did.

Archived