• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers run defense - 3 plays

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, saints4lifeagain said:

That hold was pretty noticeable. 

Davis way over ran that play though. Stopping the ZBS is all about discipline. The runner is literally pressing the line looking for a cutback. If Davis stays in his gap, the play goes no where.

I wouldn't expect too many plays like that from Davis throughout the year.

You are the only Saints fan I have encountered that said something nice about us. Kudos 

By my count, Denver had 6 rushing plays of 10 yards or more.  (Carolina had 3).

Here's the list:

1.  Denver drive 1.  Quarter 1, 13:01 remaining.  2nd and 5 on CAR 47.  C.J. Anderson middle for 13 yards (tackle by James Bradberry)

2. Denver drive 3.  Quarter 2, 14:14 remaining.  1st & 10 on DEN 35.  C.J. Anderson left tackle for 28 yards (tackle by Tre Boston)

[The next play was an 8 yard gain:  Trevor Siemian right tackle for 8 yards (tackle by Luke Kuechly), then 2 plays later, the 3rd big play]

3.  Denver drive 3. Q2 12:23 remaining,  3rd & 1 on CAR 28:  Andy Janovich right guard for 28 yards, touchdown

4. Denver drive 6:  Q3 10:05 remaining, 1st & 10 on CAR 40.   C.J. Anderson right guard for 10 yards (tackle by Luke Kuechly)

5. Denver drive 8:  Q3 3:19 remaining, 2nd & 4 on DEN 28.   Trevor Siemian right end for 11 yards (tackle by Kurt Coleman)

6. Same drive, Denver drive 8, 3 plays later.   Q3 1:38 remaining, 1st & 10 at the 50 Yd line.  C.J. Anderson right tackle for 10 yards (tackle by Luke Kuechly)

Generally the run defense was better in the 4th quarter, with only one largish rush - a 9 yard gain very early in the 4th.

In case it's helpful, here's a quick table I put together comparing our rushing yards allowed and YPC allowed for the 2011 - 2015 seasons, versus the week 1 game totals of our opponents.

Even last year when we had an excellent defense against the run in terms of our season totals, we allowed JAX a pretty high YPC on their rushes (21 attempts).  So, it's not unprecedented for our run defense to be a bit out of sync in the beginning of the season and improve.

Panthers week1 games review_18 rushing (wk 1 vs season).png

On the first gif: Yeah that should've been a holding penalty against the Broncos, but TD lost containment. 

On the second gif: Shaq lost containment and Bene didn't even see the FB

On the third: WTF were the coaches thinking pulling the whole line at once? fuging stupid poo like that is what pisses me off about our coaches sometimes. Then again TD gets blocked out of the play.

Overall, our OLBs need to stop losing containment. And that play where TD got blocked out of the play, that wasn't the first time I saw that happen in the game. I hope he isn't losing it because he looked far from the great linebacker from last season. The coaches also have to stop being stupid. Wasting timeouts, not getting the play in on time, pulling your whole D-line at once. It's something most college coaches don't have a problem with. Get your poo together!

5 hours ago, thebigcat said:

Frame 1- A hold on Denver #71 and TD over pursed that play

Frame 2- Delaire with again piss poor gap control as he is a one trick pony, Shaq shot the wrong gap and Big Play Bene pulled a Deon Sanders school of tackling maneuver

Frame 3- Why Kyle Love and not Solai deserved a roster spot

I wish we'd kept Horton over delaire

5 hours ago, thebigcat said:

Frame 1- A hold on Denver #71 and TD over pursed that play

Frame 2- Delaire with again piss poor gap control as he is a one trick pony, Shaq shot the wrong gap and Big Play Bene pulled a Deon Sanders school of tackling maneuver

Frame 3- Why Kyle Love and not Solai deserved a roster spot

Paul and Vern were both eating up double teams. All Delaire has to do is set the edge and deal with a 1v1 and either make a tackle or get a hand on the runner to slow him down. He is terrible at playing the run. It has nothing to do with the DTs. Our back up ends are terrible vs the run and it is very alarming. 

Archived