• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vikings get raped, trade for Sam Bradford - Panthers relevance

Jeremy Igo

It's easy to bad mouth Bradford, and he deserves a lot of it.  But the fact is there are 32 starting QB's needed in the league and there just aren't 32 starting qb's in the market.  From a Panther perspective I think the viking game was a toss up with Teddy.  Without Teddy I marked it as a "W".  And now I am back to toss up.  The viking d is for real and Zimmer is underrated.  All they need is a qb that doesn't make mistakes and they are instant contenders.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2016/09/03/sam-bradford-trade-salary-minnesota-vikings-eagles-wentz-bridgewater-chase-daniel.html?cq_ck=1472918678462

In the preseason, it’s easy to think your team is a Super Bowl contender, but the Minnesota Vikings actually believed they had a chance to win the team’s first Super Bowl this season.

And why wouldn’t they? They had Adrian Peterson still in his seemingly endless prime; a defense that is could arguably be the best in the NFC this season; and Teddy Bridgewater managing the game and giving the Vikings that little extra something they had missed in prior years from the quarterback position.

The Vikings don't need Bradford to do much more than hand the ball off and covert third-and-7s. In his career, Bradford has been asked to save the Rams almost singlehandedly and run a Chip Kelly offense — surely he'll cherish the chance to play in an offense that doesn't need him to be great.

Was Bradford worth a first-round pick? Probably not, but that’s what the marketplace demanded and the Vikings didn’t have an ounce of negotiating room. Another large factor in this —and a reason why the Vikings traded for a veteran like Bradford and not a career back-up like Chase Daniel — is that Bridgewater is unlikely to ever be 100 percent of himself again after that injury; his was anything but a normal ACL tear. The Vikings don’t only need a new quarterback for this season, but they'll need one for perhaps a good deal of next season as well.

Bradford isn’t special, but he can helm an offense that doesn’t need him to be “the man.” The first-round pick with a fourth-rounder tossed into the mix is a lot, but that’s what it costs to get a starting quarterback when you have a small window to succeed and a long period of time where you might need a replacement.

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I don't understand all this one-year-rental talk. Bradford could end up the best QB they've had there in years.

The 4th round pick is apparently conditional (which makes a difference).

Why?  Bradford was the third WORST QBR in football last year.  Bradford is terrible.

23 minutes ago, PntherPryd said:

It's easy to bad mouth Bradford, and he deserves a lot of it.  But the fact is there are 32 starting QB's needed in the league and there just aren't 32 starting qb's in the market.  From a Panther perspective I think the viking game was a toss up with Teddy.  Without Teddy I marked it as a "W".  And now I am back to toss up.  The viking d is for real and Zimmer is underrated.  All they need is a qb that doesn't make mistakes and they are instant contenders.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2016/09/03/sam-bradford-trade-salary-minnesota-vikings-eagles-wentz-bridgewater-chase-daniel.html?cq_ck=1472918678462

In the preseason, it’s easy to think your team is a Super Bowl contender, but the Minnesota Vikings actually believed they had a chance to win the team’s first Super Bowl this season.

And why wouldn’t they? They had Adrian Peterson still in his seemingly endless prime; a defense that is could arguably be the best in the NFC this season; and Teddy Bridgewater managing the game and giving the Vikings that little extra something they had missed in prior years from the quarterback position.

The Vikings don't need Bradford to do much more than hand the ball off and covert third-and-7s. In his career, Bradford has been asked to save the Rams almost singlehandedly and run a Chip Kelly offense — surely he'll cherish the chance to play in an offense that doesn't need him to be great.

Was Bradford worth a first-round pick? Probably not, but that’s what the marketplace demanded and the Vikings didn’t have an ounce of negotiating room. Another large factor in this —and a reason why the Vikings traded for a veteran like Bradford and not a career back-up like Chase Daniel — is that Bridgewater is unlikely to ever be 100 percent of himself again after that injury; his was anything but a normal ACL tear. The Vikings don’t only need a new quarterback for this season, but they'll need one for perhaps a good deal of next season as well.

Bradford isn’t special, but he can helm an offense that doesn’t need him to be “the man.” The first-round pick with a fourth-rounder tossed into the mix is a lot, but that’s what it costs to get a starting quarterback when you have a small window to succeed and a long period of time where you might need a replacement.

The Vikings game at home even w/Bridgewater was in NO way a toss up.  With Bradford even less so.  Wouldn't be the biggest upset in history but to think toss up is silly.

45 minutes ago, top dawg said:

It has been displayed. More than a few people have said it. He just has to have the time and proper play calling to show it on a consistent basis.

Look, I am really not a Bradford apologist, but the reason that he keeps getting looks is because in many ways, including his arm, Bradford is the physical prototype of an NFL QB (that, and the fact that he hasn't been in an optimal situation, has had injury issues, and has suffered from organizational instability and failure).

I still don't think it is a functional big arm.  Bradford's entire career he has consistently opted for the safe throws.  In his DNA.  Playcalling traditionally hasn't been the reason he doesn't like pulling the trigger 

24 minutes ago, top dawg said:

And yet, was rated higher than Bridgewater...

There was a stat recently posted on Twitter with QBs (with a minimum of 30 starts) since Bradford was drafted in regards to QBR (which I don't like)

only worse QBRs were Gabbert, Henne and Sanchez.  No one giving up firsts for that 

So they replace their broken qb with a qb made of glass who wasn't that great to begin with and give up a 1st and a forth too?? Does anyone know if marijuana is legal in MN?

Edit* I forgot he was pouter who got his panties in a bunch because the eagles drafted a qb

Archived