• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Carolina Panthers Cut Down Day Thread

Jeremy Igo

I don't see why so many people are shocked to see Marcus Lucas cut.

While he is a great inspirational story he just isn't good enough to make the team and yet people are shocked even after Igo has stated time after time he wasn't going to make the 53 man roster.

Here's the problem with Lucas:

He lacked blocking skills that we needed out of our #3 TE. While he may have improved his blocking ability he wasn't on the level Simonson was.

We have two other pass catching TE so our third needs to be able to block.

His preseason stats are overrated. He did well mostly late in the game and just like last preseason caught a bunch of passes being wide open.

He is also in his 3rd year which means he should be way ahead of less experienced tight ends. Obviously he wasn't.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

3 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

I don't see why so many people are shocked to see Marcus Lucas cut.

While he is a great inspirational story he just isn't good enough to make the team and yet people are shocked even after Igo has stated time after time he wasn't going to make the 53 man roster.

Here's the problem with Lucas:

He lacked blocking skills that we needed out of our #3 TE. While he may have improved his blocking ability he wasn't on the level Simonson was.

We have two other pass catching TE so our third needs to be able to block.

His preseason stats are overrated. He did well mostly late in the game and just like last preseason caught a bunch of passes being wide open.

He is also in his 3rd year which means he should be way ahead of less experienced tight ends. Obviously he wasn't.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I think you're confusing shocked with disappointed.

Any betting man would bet against Lucas making the squad; people aren't as naive as you think and Jeremy isn't as all powerful and knowing as you think. Sure he gets more practice looks, but he is not in the decision room for cuts, just like we aren't.

The meaningless preseason argument is tired too by the way. 

Sure he made his plays against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but he actually made plays when given an opportunity.

Humor me...how did Sandland and Simonson look against those same 3rd stringers?

So people are not in the wrong for being disappointed in the team choosing "blocking" TE's, that only do so marginally (at least get someone who is actually a good blocker), over a player that showed he can get open, and catch the ball, and do so very well.

Archived