• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Huddle cuts have started....

Jeremy Igo

16 minutes ago, tarheelfan23 said:

hurney did a really good job here and get a really bad rep....so glad we have someone that will defend his honor and not just bury the guy 

Except he didn't.

Hurney got us some good players. So did Matt Millen when he was Lions GM. It's relatively easy to do when you're picking in the top part of the first round on a regular basis.

Having some good players, even great players, isn't enough. Every team in the league has that, even the perpetually bad ones.

An NFL GM builds a roster of 53 players, not 5 to 10, and is judged on the quality of the entire roster, not just the best players on it.

Hurney's rosters got us 3 playoff appearances in 11 years. Gettleman has already matched that in his first 3 seasons and could surpass it this year. Throw in that in 2016 he could potentially guide the team to back to back winning seasons, something Hurney never accomplished.

(And never will)

Did Hurney do some good things? Sure. Byron Bell occasionally made some great blocks too, but in the NFL you're judged on the overall results, not the highlight reel moments.

Bottom Line: Hurney wasn't good enough. End of story.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Except he didn't.

Hurney got us some good players. So did Matt Millen when he was Lions GM. It's relatively easy to do when you're picking in the top part of the first round on a regular basis.

Having some good players, even great players, isn't enough. Every team in the league has that, even the perpetually bad ones.

An NFL GM builds a roster of 53 players, not 5 to 10, and is judged on the quality of the entire roster, not just the best players on it.

Hurney's rosters got us 3 playoff appearances in 11 years. Gettleman has already matched that in his first 3 seasons and could surpass it this year. Throw in that in 2016 he could potentially guide the team to back to back winning seasons, something Hurney never accomplished.

(And never will)

Did Hurney do some good things? Sure. Byron Bell occasionally made some great blocks too, but in the NFL you're judged on the overall results, not the highlight reel moments.

Bottom Line: Hurney wasn't good enough. End of story.

I never said Hurney was great or even deserved the job, but was he horrible at every aspect of being a GM? NO.  And one of my biggest things is i really wonder how much of what went on was Hurney...I feel like he was more of a puppet than anything.  The big cat made most of the decisions and made them thru Hurney

1 hour ago, tarheelfan23 said:

I never said Hurney was great or even deserved the job, but was he horrible at every aspect of being a GM? NO.  And one of my biggest things is i really wonder how much of what went on was Hurney...I feel like he was more of a puppet than anything.  The big cat made most of the decisions and made them thru Hurney

Except that's not true either.

The 2003 Super Bowl bought Marty Hurney a lot of sway. Unfortunately, it wasn't deserved.

Hurney had final say on the draft and free agency. Although John Fox was heavily involved, Jerry Richardson was not.  Entire drafts going for naught was on those two, not the owner.

Jerry Richardson definitely stuck his nose in sometimes, and sometimes with bad results, but he wasn't involved in day to day decisions. He's not Jerry Jones and Hurney wasn't a "puppet".

Richardson is said to be legitimately more hands-off these days, but given the results, why wouldn't he be?

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Except that's not true either.

The 2003 Super Bowl bought Marty Hurney a lot of sway. Unfortunately, it wasn't deserved.

Hurney had final say on the draft and free agency. Although John Fox was heavily involved, Jerry Richardson was not.  Entire drafts going for naught was on those two, not the owner.

Jerry Richardson definitely stuck his nose in sometimes, and sometimes with bad results, but he wasn't involved in day to day decisions. He's not Jerry Jones and Hurney wasn't a "puppet".

Richardson is said to be legitimately more hands-off these days, but given the results, why wouldn't he be?

maybe he knew when he brought on the HogFather that he was a legit GM and Hurney was his puppet.  I really think that Hurney did get some of the Day to day items but when it came to big items it was the big cat.  

Now yes you are right he has decided to stay hands off and let the HogFather do his thing (knew that was the case when smitty was canned) and we are surging so there is no reason to try to dip in.  I do think Richardson wants a super bowl and this is the best way to do it

Archived