• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers interested in corner Keenan Lewis?

Jeremy Igo

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Heck, one preseason game in a rookie season is enough to know all there is to know about a guy, right?

I remember years ago watching this young tackle for the Cowboys get absolutely eaten alive by a Packers defensive end. It was positively embarrassing. The guy he was going against even had an injured arm, but even one-handed he still threw this kid around like a rag doll.

The Cowboys probably should have just listened to the fans and cut that guy on the spot, but instead they kept him around for awhile. Not sure what in the world they were thinking.

I think his name was Larry Allen.

That's because they switched him to Guard.............

2 hours ago, O-Ther said:

Lewis is coming off a leg injury that de-railed his 2015 season (6 games played with 0 starts), with a hip surgery thrown in for good measure in January 2016. He came off the PUP, practiced once, then didn't practice again before he was released. Supposedly the problem was an unspecified side torso problem. Reading the reports out of Taintland, Lewis didn't want to go on IR and have to sit out 8 games before returning from IR. Lewis thinks he'll be ready by the opener or very close to it

However, his last good season was 2013 (4 INTs, 52 tackles), after signing a 5 year $26 million deal with his hometown team. Lewis attended high school in New Orleans. 2014 saw a drop in stats (2 INTs, 41 tackles), and 2015 was a bust.

Lots of buyer beware with this one. Listed as 6'1" 208, but also 30 years old and a very recent injury history. I'd rather lure Tillman out of retirement, although I did like his cameo in Sharknado 4

You can't judge a CB based off INTs alone. Once a CB has established himself, QBs throw the other way.

3 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

You can't judge a CB based off INTs alone. Once a CB has established himself, QBs throw the other way.

I'll take the stats, thanks, Otherwise every corner that has zero INTs will claim that they were so good, no QB wanted to test them. But you can do you however you want

1 hour ago, Moorgan said:

They could just be negotiating a better contract. I'm not sure how all that works. Trying to lower that dead cap money maybe?

Can't change dead money. CJ is the example. We're paying him about $3 million on his new 1 year deal, but he counts about $7 million against the 2016 cap from the extra $4 million-ish dead money from his old contract

I just can't see it from a numbers standpoint. 3 rookies who aren't getting cut and Bene and McClain have looked good in all reports. No way we carry 6 CBs when we also have Shaq as a fill-in for large slot receivers. Basically it comes down to who is better in our system McClain or Lewis. My feeling is they would go with the known commodity. 

21 minutes ago, O-Ther said:

I'll take the stats, thanks, Otherwise every corner that has zero INTs will claim that they were so good, no QB wanted to test them. But you can do you however you want

CB metrics are good stats for corners.

In 2013, he was far above decent. He gave up 466 yards in over 900 snaps (the third lowest yards per snap in football behind Revis and Sherman). He allowed 3 TDs despite shadowing Dez Bryant, Roddy White, Steve Smith, Anquan Boldin, and Golden Tate. He covered the #1 receiver on the other team 45% of the time (third highest in the league behind Haden and Revis). 

Dude was shut down in '13. Started out '14 good before he got injured 9 games in.

35 minutes ago, saints4lifeagain said:

CB metrics are good stats for corners.

In 2013, he was far above decent. He gave up 466 yards in over 900 snaps (the third lowest yards per snap in football behind Revis and Sherman). He allowed 3 TDs despite shadowing Dez Bryant, Roddy White, Steve Smith, Anquan Boldin, and Golden Tate. He covered the #1 receiver on the other team 45% of the time (third highest in the league behind Haden and Revis). 

Dude was shut down in '13. Started out '14 good before he got injured 9 games in.

Another good stat for players is age and recent injury history, neither of which is on Lewis' side. Your front office must feel good about what Dennis Allen is doing with the young pups to dump West Bank. Better hope the reason they're getting all those INTs in camp is because they have talent, not a drop-off in Brees. Although with how your O-Line looked this past weekend, that might be the reason

Archived