• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Proehl says Funchess is "pushing" Benjamin

Jeremy Igo

To be fair with KB, it was looking like he was going to be someone quite special last year before it all went wrong. It's going to take time to get back to that same level.

When he does, opposing DBs may need to come together for a support group. 

44 minutes ago, bobsfoodbasics said:

was just reading the funchess draft thread. so many idiots including a mod on here who jumped the gun and hated the pick because he was a slow WR who wasn't a need at the time.

You need to dial the vitriol back a little there bob. People aren't idiots just because they didn't think the Funchess pick (or any other draft pick for that matter) was a home run. And mods are just forum members with opinions like the rest of us. They've just been granted extra rights to police the place. 

The nice thing about these two is that they don't come out of the same receiver mold. They're different and they can complement each other. A CB covering one of 'em won't really be ready to cover the other. 

1 hour ago, Salisburysean98 said:

Funchess has confidence in a second year wr that we have never seen before here in the Carolinas. He's attacking the ball, he's winning his battles with the Dbs, and he has the speed and size to make any defense cringe over the top and make them respect us to not get beat deep. Funchess is special, you can't really compare his game to any wr in the NFL. He's not a Julio Jones per say but he's somewhere in between an aj green and Julio. Bigger than aj but faster than aj... Just no where near as quick as Jones. But I'll take that any day in a number 2 wr.

He reminds me of a young Terrell Owen's. Good body position, can fight for the ball, good route runner, and can slip past defenses when they don't respect him. 

The only troubling thing for me with both Kelvin and Funch is that they both lack starting WR speed, as traditionally defined. The trade off is a tremendous catch radius and going up to get those increasingly rare throws that sail on Cam. Kelvin still catches everything thrown to him, but it's going to take a minute before the explosiveness comes back after that knee. I like that we have a multitude of options to help ease the transition back.

6 minutes ago, Vagrant said:

The only troubling thing for me with both Kelvin and Funch is that they both lack starting WR speed, as traditionally defined. The trade off is a tremendous catch radius and going up to get those increasingly rare throws that sail on Cam. Kelvin still catches everything thrown to him, but it's going to take a minute before the explosiveness comes back after that knee. I like that we have a multitude of options to help ease the transition back.

But theyre not lacking speed otherwise they would play TE.. . . says every playbook in the NFL as traditionally defined. Funchess will get deep and so will Benji. They will both attack that part of the grid as often as coverage permits just as it did with Smitty. What they will not do is take the top off the defense and completely blow by the safety in double coverage. Its ok to have a guy on the squad for that but he doesnt have to start.

Whats important is can we attack the back part of the grid with #13 and #17? You can watch it on film and see.

1 hour ago, ncguy2184 said:

Idk why but some reason i think KB is lazy he came into camp overweight last year then tore his knee.

And his rookie stats i thought a lot were garbage time stats so i dont see why people are crazy over him. 

But thats me, I think funch will be the better player out of the two but i hope they both do good.

http://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/14555/panthers-ron-rivera-kelvin-benjamin-in-tremendous-shape

Reporting to camp in bad shape? I dont think so my friend.

TD of all people said that KB was primed to be the best receiver in football last year if it wasn't for his injury. I don't know about most of you guys, but every report from camp last year was about Kelvin dominating Josh Norman who went on to be a top 5 cornerback in football the very same season. 

I have high hopes for Funch but calling him better than KB at this point in his career is a stretch IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Vagrant said:

Speed isn't that big of a problem if either is singled covered and can position themselves better for the ball. What you give up is YAC but when KB can simply snatch a high ball deep down the field over his smaller defender for 20+ yards, that's an acceptable tradeoff. Moreso if we make the corners anxious and force them into interference flags. 

Besides, we have Ginn and Philly to stretch the field.

One other note but KB being back means our blocking will be better on certain plays and screens. 

Archived