• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Proehl says Funchess is "pushing" Benjamin

Jeremy Igo

“To be honest with you, where Devin is right now and where Kelvin needs to get to, I think Devin is pushing Kelvin,” wide receivers coach Ricky Proehl said. “He’s realizing, ‘I’ve got to get back, I’ve got to push, because this guy (Funchess) is pretty dang good.’

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2016/08/22/carolina-panthers-benjamin-funchess/

Confirms what many of us are seeing. Funchess is catching up to Benjamin faster than we imagined. 

That bullet he caught on the slant with a DB draped all over his back looked like an entirely different WR. He attacked the ball like a vet. The tentativeness is gone. I think he's reaching the point that he knows he can beat DBs with his routes and also when the ball is in the air.

Funchess has confidence in a second year wr that we have never seen before here in the Carolinas. He's attacking the ball, he's winning his battles with the Dbs, and he has the speed and size to make any defense cringe over the top and make them respect us to not get beat deep. Funchess is special, you can't really compare his game to any wr in the NFL. He's not a Julio Jones per say but he's somewhere in between an aj green and Julio. Bigger than aj but faster than aj... Just no where near as quick as Jones. But I'll take that any day in a number 2 wr.

15 minutes ago, ShutDwn said:

The tentativeness is gone. 

I agree with your entire statement, but I believe that this is the key.

I know that people hate the term "swag," but I believe in it.

Coming in as a rookie, I think Funchess had a certain amount of confidence in his ability, but he didn't have the experience and knowledge as a pro. This year, with the absolute knowing that he can compete in this league, and knowing what to do, I suspect that confidence has morphed into all-out swagger. 

Yes, people, Devin's got swag!

His mentality is not that of a second fiddle. It only means good things for both of the big receivers.

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I agree with your entire statement, but I believe that this is the key.

I know that people hate the term "swag," but I believe in it.

Coming in as a rookie, I think Funchess had a certain amount of confidence in his ability, but he didn't have the experience and knowledge as a pro. This year, with the absolute knowing that he can compete in this league, and knowing what to do, I suspect that confidence has morphed into all-out swagger. 

Yes, people, Devin's got swag!

His mentality is not that of a second fiddle. It only means good things for both of the big receivers.

Yeah it's great to see the mental aspect connect with his physical ability. 

At the start of 2015 he wasn't sure where he wanted to go. Then around midseason you could tell he figured out where to go and now he knows where to go and how he's going to beat the DB there.

Idk why but some reason i think KB is lazy he came into camp overweight last year then tore his knee.

And his rookie stats i thought a lot were garbage time stats so i dont see why people are crazy over him. 

But thats me, I think funch will be the better player out of the two but i hope they both do good.

Reality is both are going into their second seasons in the NFL. KB is a lot older by age, but for all intent and purposes they are both second year WRs. Actually Funchess may have played more games due to the playoffs last year. And that run was significant experience that KB does not have - yet.

Archived