• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurricane Hugo ~ 20 Years later

Hotsauce

I was a freshman at the College of Charleston.

My parents came and picked up me, a suite mate, and a friend who lived off campus who had nowhere else to go, about 10 or 11 pm on the 20th. We got to Gastonia about 3 or 4 am on the 21st. My suite mate caught his flight that was to connect in CLT to VA. My friend caught the bus home to Indy (she was supposed to go to her relatives house in TN, but changed her mind and went home).

I stayed up watching the TV coverage in Charleston until we lost power I think about 2 am or so when the tornadoes came through. We had no power for a week, lost a lot of game and other food we had in the freezer because we couldn't cook it all. A neighbor got an adapter to hook our community well system up to a city fire hydrant so we could have water.

We didn't have any major damage because we didn't have any large trees, just lost a few shingles. We were lucky.

We were out of school about 3 weeks. It was strange going back to Charleston, but they had a lot of it cleaned up by the time we got back.

Was watching TV at my apartment at UNCC until the power went out, then I went to bed and slept through it all. Next morning there was no power in Charlotte and trees everywhere. A good bit of price gouging ensued. No generators to be found, but with no power no gas pumps would run.

My father ran a bread truck and ironically a little bakery in Shelby was the only bread company around with power to run the lines. Some grocery stores opened even though they had no power, and would take a bunch of flash lights and let people go in with flashlights to shop. When one person came out of the store, they would let another one go in. That was back before the bar code days, when there were price stickers on everything so they took battery operated calculators to add up people's bill.

My father worked all weekend delivering bread because we had the only bakery running. 4 truck loads of it and even had other bread companies buying from us because they had nothing.

Archived