• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers tight end conundrum....

Jeremy Igo

So, we are being told the TE depth situation is still a disaster under Gettleman. I am glad the Panthers had Olsen in place before Gettleman took over. The Panthers have Shockey, Olsen, and Barnidge for 2011/2012, and now the TE position is loaded with waste of time projects. Could of had Olsen and Barnidge sealed up for the long run in the 2013 off season, but Gettleman thought Barnidge had no potential and Brandon Williams was a much more valuable investment.

Also, Gettleman has cut Barner, Kugbila, and Gaffney. Cutting Sandland would mean Gettleman has cut 20% of his draft picks in 4 off seasons. Gettleman throws away 1 of every 5 draft picks. Not to mention all the picks he throws away during the draft. An easy 14 draft picks have been lost over the past 4 off seasons due to poor trades, poor picks, and poor prospect valuations.

1 hour ago, CPantherKing said:

So, we are being told the TE depth situation is still a disaster under Gettleman. I am glad the Panthers had Olsen in place before Gettleman took over. The Panthers have Shockey, Olsen, and Barnidge for 2011/2012, and now the TE position is loaded with waste of time projects. Could of had Olsen and Barnidge sealed up for the long run in the 2013 off season, but Gettleman thought Barnidge had no potential and Brandon Williams was a much more valuable investment.

Also, Gettleman has cut Barner, Kugbila, and Gaffney. Cutting Sandland would mean Gettleman has cut 20% of his draft picks in 4 off seasons. Gettleman throws away 1 of every 5 draft picks. Not to mention all the picks he throws away during the draft. An easy 14 draft picks have been lost over the past 4 off seasons due to poor trades, poor picks, and poor prospect valuations.

your hate for Gettleman seems to be on a personal level. we went 15-1 last season... you sound like a fan of a team that went 1-15. Outside of the first round, Hurney pretty much threw all his draft picks away

2 hours ago, uncfan888 said:

your hate for Gettleman seems to be on a personal level. we went 15-1 last season... you sound like a fan of a team that went 1-15. Outside of the first round, Hurney pretty much threw all his draft picks away

Exactly... Hurney was Horrible.. he was 1/6 with Draft Picks.

22 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Thats what I am hearing. Gettleman has never had a 7th round draft pick and has shown a tendency to trade them away all willy nilly. Indicates he doesn't think much more of their worth than UDFAs. 

This is what Getty has said, himself, about draft picks and their value (from an interview with  Joe Menzer on Panthers.com):

"You're still going to get starters from throughout the draft, if you're paying attention," general manager Dave Gettleman said. "You look at us last year. We had three undrafted rookies starting at the end of the season..."

"When you're drafting, you can't look at any draft pick as a throwaway. They're all critical. Every pick is important. They're all like gold."

http://m.panthers.com/news/article-2/Late-round-picks-college-free-agents-important-part-of-draft/d37e43de-f0b1-4d78-832e-13dbc9754639

This is what Getty has said, himself, about draft picks and their value (from an interview with  Joe Menzer on Panthers.com):

"You're still going to get starters from throughout the draft, if you're paying attention," general manager Dave Gettleman said. "You look at us last year. We had three undrafted rookies starting at the end of the season..."

"When you're drafting, you can't look at any draft pick as a throwaway. They're all critical. Every pick is important. They're all like gold."

My point was the Panthers see little difference between the second to last pick in the draft and a UDFA.

They don't. This isn't speculation. Sandland and his draft status gives him zero advantage over Deaver. They are equals.

Sent from my SM-G935P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

2 hours ago, uncfan888 said:

We've all longed for a Super Bowl win, for so long.  We want it for our State/s, we want it for our team, and we want it for ourselves.  This guy has almost made me want it, just so he'll go the fug away...

27 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

My point was the Panthers see little difference between the second to last pick in the draft and a UDFA.

They don't. This isn't speculation. Sandland and his draft status gives him zero advantage over Deaver. They are equals.

Sent from my SM-G935P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I agree with that wholeheartedly. I just want to dispel the notion that Gettleman has some nonchalant, "willy nilly" attitude about late draft picks and UDFAs. 

I am not saying that your info is wrong because you obviously have some inside sources, but I just have to believe that Gettleman is going to make sure, beyond a doubt, that Sandland  or Deaver are worth risking, in light of his own view of the importance of potential talented starters at some point down the road. 

FWIW, I am glad that Deaver has risen to the occasion, and I don't believe that Sandland  has ever taken the fact that he was drafted and Deaver wasn't as a security blanket of sorts. Personally, the only reason that I gave Sandland an edge coming in was due to Deaver's injury history.

They are both smart guys. If they both hold their own during this battle, and the Panthers don't roster one or both, I predict we'll rue the day that we chose Dickson over at least one of them. The only way I see us sneaking them on to the PS is if the Panthers don't let them play---don't show their hand---which would beg a few other questions. If they suck, we won't have to sneak. 

From some of the attitudes regarding late round picks and UDFAs in this thread, and specifically the narrative that they amusingly aren't worth discussing, or are throwaway picks, or just have little value at all, let me quote Gettleman again:

We have gotten starting material from those that people scoff at in different ways. We've seen it first hand. Thankfully, G-man is showing why his philosophy is smarter than some Huddlers'.

Gettleman may not care about draft status, but he may care a little bit about the salary of Dickson vs. the other guys.

Granted, we are already in excellent cap shape... but I just don't see the bonus of keeping Dickson over Sandland or Simonson, other than his experience.

18 hours ago, EightyNine said:

I like Sandland.  He looks impressive physically and sounds smart.

But i dont want to go out on a limb and say that he has a high ceiling and that Simonson has a limited ceiling.  Lets keep it in perspective.  Sandland was almost an UDFA.  He has some measurables, but so do a lot of other guys, I.E Brandon Williams, Eric Wallace, etc.)  The NFL is full of guys who are oozing with potential.

I just think its way too early to think that Beau should be considered a potential future starter.  I like him and hope he shows out during the preseason, but i wont be too upset if we decide to go with someone else. Fans tend to go wild imagining the potential of unproven players, and thats what Beau is.  Until you actually see what you've got, the possibilities may seem endless.  A little while ago, people were talking about Byrd replacing Philly..  Philly was a real playmaker for us last year and was very good in the playoffs..but since they havent seen Byrd in real games yet, they can only dream of how good he might be. 

I agree. There's a much higher chance of Sandland becoming JAG than becoming a top tier NFL tight end. But, at least for now, the potential is there. Simonson just does not have the natural athletic ability of today's NFL starters.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Yep, Sandland has a high chance of not reaching his potential, but he's got more potential. His measurables all together were better than all the TEs in this draft. The fact that he started at Miami and then went to a small school is why he was drafted so late. He's made some really nice catches, but that doesn't mean he'll get anywhere near Olsen's level. I just don't want to lose that potential yet. We are going to need to replace Olsen and I'd rather not see Sandland develop somewhere else for two guys (Dickson/Simonson) who don't have the ceiling to ever replace Olsen.

That's true about the small school. Hopefully he becomes another Gettleman gem.

I'm not saying that Simonson shouldn't be on the squad. I just don't see any reason to keep Dickson AND Simonson. Both are pretty decent pass catchers. Whichever proves to be the better blocker should get the nod IMO. 

50 minutes ago, Nate Dogg said:

I agree. There's a much higher chance of Sandland becoming JAG than becoming a top tier NFL tight end. But, at least for now, the potential is there. Simonson just does not have the natural athletic ability of today's NFL starters.

We have a GM who says the game isn't played in underwear.

Is prefer Sandland for the silly reason I like successful drafts but in the end it doesn't matter.

Archived