• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers tight end conundrum....

Jeremy Igo

9 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That dead money is for 2017. The dead money if we release him now is $1.3M, so we would only save $1.2M. In 2017, the dead money is $2 more than what you listed, but the cap savings would be $2M. I don't think Dickson gets cut this year unless Simonson and a rookie make a big leap in the games.

?

Choose post-June 1 cut...
http://overthecap.com/player/ed-dickson/1375/

His 2016/2017 numbers would be:

666,666        1,900,000

666,668        2,050,000

If we cut him going into the season, we will be hit with $1.334M over the next two seasons in dead money, but will save $3.950M on the cap...

4 hours ago, Nate Dogg said:

I don't like this at all. Simonson might have a higher floor at the moment, but his ceiling is very limited. Sandland's measurables are oozing with potential. We already have an elite tight end. Let Sandland learn behind him and have Dickson and Simonson battle it out for the reserve spot. Neither of them are potential future starters.

I like Sandland.  He looks impressive physically and sounds smart.

But i dont want to go out on a limb and say that he has a high ceiling and that Simonson has a limited ceiling.  Lets keep it in perspective.  Sandland was almost an UDFA.  He has some measurables, but so do a lot of other guys, I.E Brandon Williams, Eric Wallace, etc.)  The NFL is full of guys who are oozing with potential.

I just think its way too early to think that Beau should be considered a potential future starter.  I like him and hope he shows out during the preseason, but i wont be too upset if we decide to go with someone else. Fans tend to go wild imagining the potential of unproven players, and thats what Beau is.  Until you actually see what you've got, the possibilities may seem endless.  A little while ago, people were talking about Byrd replacing Philly..  Philly was a real playmaker for us last year and was very good in the playoffs..but since they havent seen Byrd in real games yet, they can only dream of how good he might be. 

8 hours ago, Nick_81 said:

Dickson is having a really nice camp thus far, from what I've seen.  Made some really nice catches.  You don't hear a whole lot about the established guys in camp reports.  Kind of how we haven't really heard much about Olsen, Kalil, TD, etc.  Most of the focus is on the new/bubble guys.

Not the best pass & run blocker, he should get the same treatment as Cothery. I'm willing to bet that Simpson and Sandland will make it over Dickson. 

If you are into math and a capologist, you have to like Dickson's chances....of being cut.  They did not want rookies behind Olsen, but who saw Simonson's rise to prominence?  I think, if Simonson makes it and Beau has a good camp, they cut Dickson, bamk the $1m in cap room.

What exactly are you losing?  I keep hearing he is a lock, but Simonson is his competition.  We are not dumping a draft pick to keep a 29-year old disappointment.  Just my 2 cents, and I am rarely right.

11 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If you are into math and a capologist, you have to like Dickson's chances....of being cut.  They did not want rookies behind Olsen, but who saw Simonson's rise to prominence?  I think, if Simonson makes it and Beau has a good camp, they cut Dickson, bamk the $1m in cap room.

What exactly are you losing?  I keep hearing he is a lock, but Simonson is his competition.  We are not dumping a draft pick to keep a 29-year old disappointment.  Just my 2 cents, and I am rarely right.

Dont worry I'm right about 60% of the time 

Don't you just love preseason!

Like most of you I read anything I can get my hands on when it comes to the Panthers. (This place being the best) 

Admit to yourself that we are the minority, we are either the "super fan" or "Panther nerds" 

Trust me, just ask around to a Panther fan, they aren't interested in the 3rd/4th string tight end. Own it fellow nerds. 

I love it and want more of it. 

9 hours ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

But what about the great Rugby guy Eric Wallace?

Firstly, Rugby is not Aussie Rules.

Secondly, he is a physical beast but hasn't played football since before high school. His STRENGTH is his catching ability and he dropped a pass for a touch down at Fan Fest when he was wide-open. He's going to need to show a lot to make the practice squad I think, because he looks like a long term project.

But in saying that I don't know how many guys on the 90-man roster are eligible for the practice squad, which would be good to know.

Archived