• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers tight end conundrum....

Jeremy Igo

16 minutes ago, Nate Dogg said:

I don't like this at all. Simonson might have a higher floor at the moment, but his ceiling is very limited. Sandland's measurables are oozing with potential. We already have an elite tight end. Let Sandland learn behind him and have Dickson and Simonson battle it out for the reserve spot. Neither of them are potential future starters.

this is my thought. simonson should be practice squad eligible, right? unless sandland is just out there shitting is pants every play or doesn't get the playbook i don't know why you wouldn't stick him out there on potential.

on the other hand maybe they are completely interchangeable.

preseason will be interesting

I don't know Dickson's contract, but I mean wouldn't the money (cap room) come into play? 

If the team could save $2M+ by releasing Dickson and allowing a young guy to play with a higher ceiling, it would make sense to go that direction. Dickson is who he is, which is an average TE. That's not a knock on him. An average NFL TE is probably in the top .5% in the world. But that cap can be used elsewhere with the DT signings coming up. Also have to start thinking about our interior OL. 17 receptions for 121 yards can be replaced and is not worth 1 to 2 million dollars that can be used to tie up young core players. 

51 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I agree. We need someone to groom/replace Olsen. Simonson, from his draft pages, doesn't seem to have the same athletic upside as Sandland and Sandland has made some really nice catches. There was much adoration for Simonson's touchdown at fan fest, but it was a break down by Shaq that left him wide open, not a great catch. I think Sandland's upside is to be a TE1 who can replace Olsen (say 80% of Olsen). I think Simonson's upside is to allow us to save the $2M+ we pay Dickson and get more production.

Sounds good to me. Dickson, IMO, was someone to fill in until better talent came along. That may have happened this season. Sandland and Simonson may still be raw (both came from small schools), but I think that they both have a higher ceiling than Dickson.  I would not be surprised if either was claimed off waivers. The problem is, it may take another year in the NFL for them to reach their potential, and Ed is a known commodity.  I still say that we roll the dice, keep them both, and let Dickson go to the Eagles!

2 hours ago, caatfan said:

So our GM is going to close his eyes and ears and just say 'I don't cut draft picks' ? 

I don't buy Gman being locked into 'never cut a pick' mode either.

Great comment.  We've seen just how much Gettleman can surprise us.  He does what he believes is right for the team.  Period.  I don't think he has hard and fast rules of things he'll "never do."

Personally, I think either Sandland or Deaver will make the roster as #4 TE, especially if we keep only 5 WRs, as I now believe is likely.  Whichever of the two doesn't make the roster should probably be ok on the PS.  At this point I'm totally open-minded as to which guy we keep as #4.  Both seem very promising.

Good problem to have.  #WinningTeamProblems

Just a reminder, Dickson has a Super Bowl ring.  I think we're keeping him around as much for his locker room presence and experience as for his play.  I know people hate to hear that, but Ron has shown he knows a thng or two about FANTASTIC locker room chemistry, and I know he's hesitant to mess up something that's working exceptionally well right now.  Guys like Dickson and Tolbert are important parts of the equation, just as Harper or Cotch were last season.

I'd be very surprised if we let Dickson walk unless there was an injury issue.

I also think that in our system, TE is one of the toughest positions for a rookie.  You have to know the entire offense.  Pass plays & run plays.  You practice with the WRs and the Oline.

So, I doubt either Sandland or Deaver will play much at all if either makes the 53.  They're gonna be inactive most weeks unless one of them shows exceptional skill & talent.

23 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Personally, I think either Sandland or Deaver will make the roster as #4 TE

I'm pulling for 'em both, maybe 'cause they were afterthoughts in the draft. For that matter I'm really intrigued by Wallace. But it sounds like holdovers Dickson and Simonson aren't going anywhere. How many TE's will they carry on the roster? 3 is the usual # in the NFL. Wouldn't be surprised to see 2 TE's on the PS.

Dickson's dead money would be 666,666 (no lie) and his cap savings would be $1.9Mil if cut

Sandland, by comparison, has dead money of $14,831 with cap savings of $450,000 if cut... This will change a bit, I think, if he goes to PS...

I don't really think Dickson brings almost $2Mil in value to our team... I'm sorry.... Benji is back, and we have an elite TE already, with Simonson and Sandland waiting in the wings...

If Sandland shows he's capable of being a role-player like Dickson in the preseason (I would expect to see a lot of our top 3 backup TEs,) then Sandland should get the nod.

Also, FYI, Ed Dickson is currently scheduled to be the 10th highest paid Panther in 2017... He is currently #12, ahead of players such as Charles Johnson, Kurt Coleman, Shaq Thompson, and Kelvin Benjamin... He makes almost double what Kawann Short will make this year...

Do any of you think he is worth that much to us that we won't let him go in favor of a capable, young, cheap draft pick?

I tend to favor Sandland in all arguments, but I really do wonder how much other fans value our #2 TE...

I really think Dickson gets the axe, Sandland gets the #2 spot, and Kawann Short has an extension... all before the first game of the regular season.

Archived