• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers tight end conundrum....

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, Ship said:

or is Sandland's status as like the 2nd to last pick of the entire draft making him basically a UDFA in the front office's mind?

Thats what I am hearing. Gettleman has never had a 7th round draft pick and has shown a tendency to trade them away all willy nilly. Indicates he doesn't think much more of their worth than UDFAs. 

11 minutes ago, top dawg said:

We're talking about Getty. Dave Gettleman! He is not cutting Sandland in order to keep Ed friggin Dickson.  

So our GM is going to close his eyes and ears and just say 'I don't cut draft picks' ? 

I don't say Sandland is a sure cut, but I don't buy Gman being locked into 'never cut a pick' mode either. The Huddle in general doesn't think much of Dickson, but if he's making plays it's hard to argue with results.

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That Eagles ILB thread mentioned a few teams looking for TE depth so I'd be surprised if they both cleared waivers. I think that has to happen first before you can add to PS, but not sure, whatever what they have to go.

You're right.  They have to clear waivers, before you can add to the PS.

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Gettleman has never had a 7th round pick to cut. 

Like you said, he previously hasn't placed much value on 6th or 7th rounders. Only 2 picks in the 6th. Barner released after failing to impress and Gaffney stuck on the PS. Since then he's spent two years not playing, with leg injuries. 

30 minutes ago, caatfan said:

So our GM is going to close his eyes and ears and just say 'I don't cut draft picks' ? 

I don't say Sandland is a sure cut, but I don't buy Gman being locked into 'never cut a pick' mode either. The Huddle in general doesn't think much of Dickson, but if he's making plays it's hard to argue with results.

Dickson is 29 years old and has done basically little as a pro, including last year when he was ranked near the bottom (maybe at the bottom) for TEs. Is one camp supposed to erase his entire body of work? From production to blocking, he was bad last year, and hasn't been good, much less great, his entire career.

22 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That Eagles ILB thread mentioned a few teams looking for TE depth so I'd be surprised if they both cleared waivers. I think that has to happen first before you can add to PS, but not sure, whatever what they have to go.

I think that Dimitroff would love to cut someone to get a young, real TE.

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

From production to blocking, he was bad last year, and hasn't been good, much less great, his entire career.

Who said he was great, ever? The reports from TC on him have been good though and there's no indication he'll be released. You're certainly free to say he sucks and the staff is stupid to keep him, but it doesn't look like he's going anywhere.

I don't like this at all. Simonson might have a higher floor at the moment, but his ceiling is very limited. Sandland's measurables are oozing with potential. We already have an elite tight end. Let Sandland learn behind him and have Dickson and Simonson battle it out for the reserve spot. Neither of them are potential future starters.

35 minutes ago, caatfan said:

Who said he was great, ever? The reports from TC on him have been good though and there's no indication he'll be released. You're certainly free to say he sucks and the staff is stupid to keep him, but it doesn't look like he's going anywhere.

I'd imagine that "great" is the standard that everyone is looking for, and that's why I used the term. As for Dickson, his body of work pretty much speaks for itself. I didn't say he "sucks," I said he was "bad" last year. And it's not like he's some spring chicken coming into his own. 

I don't think our coaching staff is "stupid," far from it, but it's not always 100 percent right either. I have said on multiple occasions that Rivera gives certain vets too too much deference when making depth decisions (and roster decisions at times, because he has an impact). They can dangle those carrots out there if they want, I'd bet at least one won't won't clear waivers. 

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

I don't think our coaching staff is "stupid," far from it, but it's not always 100 percent right either. I have said on multiple occasions that Rivera gives certain vets too too much deference when making depth (and roster decisions at times, because he has an impact). They can dangle those carrots out there if they want, I'd bet at least one won't won't clear waivers. 

I'd say keeping a bad playing TE as your 2nd stringer is stupid. And who is right 100% of the time anyway? I just don't do much 2nd guessing of the staff since I'm not even an expert fan. Everybody was saying Richie Brockel was a waste of a roster spot (and I kind of felt the same way), but some guys are more important for ST play than their listed position play, and that was Brockel. 

Dickson has had a few nice moments as a Panther, but not so much as to make this a high-risk decision to release him. 

If the young guys have potential and can show run blocking skills, then keep the best one and let Ed walk. 

Archived