• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera clears up running back speculation..

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, top dawg said:

Of course, because the QB still has his hands on the ball. Once the RB has control of the ball, he is responsible. The QB has to use good judgment when letting it go, or keeping it, that's why it's called the "read option."

And the RB needs to know went to let go, in less carries CAP had more fumbles out of the read option than both Tolbert and Stewart. So it's obvious it's not on Cam when it's one specific back is messing up.

2 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

And the RB needs to know went to let go, in less carries CAP had more fumbles out of the read option than both Tolbert and Stewart. So it's obvious it's not on Cam when it's one specific back is messing up.

In the read option, the RB doesn't "let it go". If the QB chooses to keep the ball, the QB *takes it* from the RB.  Until that point, the QB keeps it in the RBs belly.

Everything that is done with the ball in the read option is up to the QB and he is responsible for it.

2 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

One fumble. You've never seen a mishap between Cam and Stew on the read? Gooby, Please. I can't say for sure, but I am fairly certain that the QB gives the RB some word or signal to take it or leave it. The buck stops with the QB, as it should.

Show me any narrative or information about Artis-Payne having fumbleitis during his high school, college or pro career outside of the Carolina Huddle.

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

One fumble. You've never seen a mishap between Cam and Stew on the read? Gooby, Please. I can't say for sure, but I am fairly certain that the QB gives the RB some word or signal to take it or leave it. The buck stops with the QB, as it should.

Show me any narrative or information about Artis-Payne having fumbleitis during his high school, college or pro career outside of the Carolina Huddle.

He had more than one fumble, both his first and last carries were fumbles.  He fumbled against NY also.

And go look at the tape through out the whole season Cam, Stew and Tolbert only had one bad exchange the entire year. Payne on the other hand had about 4

2 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

In the read option, the RB doesn't "let it go". If the QB chooses to keep the ball, the QB *takes it* from the RB.  Until that point, the QB keeps it in the RBs belly.

Everything that is done with the ball in the read option is up to the QB and he is responsible for it.

Didn't know or think about that specifically, but it makes sense.

6 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Yeah, it's due to CAP not getting many reps.

The decision is the QB's but the RB has to know how to read the QB's decisions too. 

2 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

And yet it's one RB with all the fumbles. But yeah Cam needs to do a better job to help that one back not screw up the exchange 

Quit being dumb dude.  You can't credit a RB with a fumble, when the QB still has his hands on the ball, period.  

The problem between the two, was they hardly got any reps together last season.  Cam always had Stew and Tolbert to work with.  They all have a feel for each other, and like anything else, that takes a lot of reps.  CAP/Cam didn't get all of those reps together.  Regardless, the RB has to have the ball, to be dinged with a fumble, on a stat sheet.  QB will get dinged every time, if their hands are still on the ball when it happens.

Just a tad faster than Wegher

According to Draft Scout:

Low: 4.39  Time: 4.49  High: 4.60

Low: 4.41  Time: 4.51  High: 4.62

Wegher is a tad slower, but a harder runner, so that will probably be taken into account when making decisions.

As an aside, when Stew came out, he was at:

Low: 4.36  Time: 4.46  High: 4.57

On August 9, 2016 at 0:07 PM, Jeremy Igo said:

Ron Rivera cleared up any speculation on the running backs today. 

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2016/08/09/carolina-panthers-positional-update-running-backs/

in short, Stew, Tolbert, Fozzy are locks. 

Wegher and CAP are in direct competition for that third spot

Rivera doesn't mince words here. He means this. You can take it as fact. 

Thoughts?

Motivation for the upcomers, I know DG will make sure the BPA is on the roster. 

Archived