• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera clears up running back speculation..

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, Strawman said:

Or just cut Webb and keep both. We don't need 3 QBs and Webb is not a long term answer at the backup position when DA retires. 

Webb creates roster space as opposed to wasting it.

52 minutes ago, CRA said:

Special teams ability generally gets those last couple guys a roster spot...not their depth at their own spot.  

Wegher is in the toughest spot.  Probably needs to earn KR duty IMO

Certainly. Didn't Wegher get some KR time last preseason? I don't recall if he did or not. 

10 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

in short, Stew, Tolbert, Fozzy are locks. 

Wegher and CAP are in direct competition for that third spot

Rivera doesn't mince words here. He means this. You can take it as fact. 

Thoughts?

Sounds to me like Rivera is stating that Fozzy and Tolbert fill in as the #2 RB. So, there is no one to man the #2 RB position. Tolbert is obviously the FB and not the RB. Rivera should know this. Fozzy has always been used as a 3rd down change of pace RB, which Rivera has told us in the past is what he wants in a 3rd RB. Rivera is obviously playing games with the media again.

1 minute ago, CPantherKing said:

Sounds to me like Rivera is stating that Fozzy and Tolbert fill in as the #2 RB. So, there is no one to man the #2 RB position. Tolbert is obviously the FB and not the RB. Rivera should know this. Fozzy has always been used as a 3rd down change of pace RB, which Rivera has told us in the past is what he wants in a 3rd RB. Rivera is obviously playing games with the media again.

Tolbert is a FB in name though mostly.    He plays the RB position the majority of the time when asked to step into the offense.   Yeah, he occasionally is asked to lead block and he will do it poorly for very small percentage of his overall snaps. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Tolbert is a FB in name though mostly.    He plays the RB position the majority of the time when asked to step into the offense.   Yeah, he occasionally is asked to lead block and he will do it poorly for very small percentage of his overall snaps. 

He is not a RB though. He made the pro bowl as a FB.

2 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

If the ball is fumbled in the read option exchange they automatically blame the QB.

Of course, because the QB still has his hands on the ball. Once the RB has control of the ball, he is responsible. The QB has to use good judgment when letting it go, or keeping it, that's why it's called the "read option."

Just now, CPantherKing said:

He is not a RB though. He made the pro bowl as a FB.

Again, he is a FB largely in name.  It is what he is listed as....then he logs RB snaps and that production gets him into Pro Bowls. 

Hoover was a much better traditional FB.  Tolbert essentially can play a scatback role in a bowling ball body or just be power HB.  

6 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Also, I am quite certain that I have heard Rivera say that Fozzy is not an every down back. Between that and the way that Fozzy is utilized in the game, plus the fact that Rivera didn't come out and say that Fozzy is a lock, I just don't see it 

Archived