• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera clears up running back speculation..

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair, if that had happened, he probably wouldn't have fallen to us as an undrafted player.

I thought the same thing, and I'd hate to see him go.  We'll see how these upcoming games go, but I just feel like he's a better back.

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

have to look at it a different way. Running styles. Fozzy is more of a change of pace scat back/screens type. We know what we have with him though. CAP and wegher are more in the style of Stewart with wegher being the most similar to Stewart. CAP has bruising ability but he is more twitchy and fluid IMO.

Stewart is in his last year here there is no doubt in my mind he is gone after this season. So the coaching staff and DG need to be very cautious with what they do here because the numbers are not adding up. This is a cut/roster spot for the future. My money is on CAP with wegher being the odd man out which sucks because he seems promising and the heir apparent to Stewart while CAP is more like deangelo. Gonna be interesting. 

Correct.

On a lot of teams, the runningback who's officially number three on the depth chart is actually more of a "1B". If the number one goes down, the number three moves to number one and the number two stays the number two.

Depth charts aren't hard and fast when it comes to the roles players play.

27 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Unless Wegher starts fumbling, and getting arrested in his downtime, he has the edge over Artis-Payne at the moment if it comes down to it.

There is truth to this. We have seen that Ron has little patience for turning the ball over. It's the reason CAP is in this situation. If not for fumbles he would be the clear number 2

Since I don't see CAP being "demoted" from his role, and if Wegher to the PS is likely in the coaches mind, hell don't even run him much in the preseason games. Couple carries a game, hide him, stash him, don't let a RB needy team steal him. 

If/when Stew or someone gets banged up, bring him on up. 

16 minutes ago, Benotheking said:

Why do you think that ? Everything from camp points to the opposite.

Preseason will be the real indicator. Payne is not only fighting for a spot, but also wanting to prove he isn't going to be a distraction moving forward. Getting arrested certainly didn't do him any favors. I want both to succeed here, but if Wegher balls in out in preseason, it's going to be a tough call.

2 hours ago, SOJA said:

I know the Panthers love Fozz, but if you think both Wegher and CAP will turn out to be great players- you have to move on from Fozz and keep both 

They obviously don't think either of them will turn out to be "great" players.

80% of this board wanted to draft Derrick Henry, so it's obvious hardly anyone in here had faith in them.

I say let Stewart, Tolbert and Fozzy play out this season and we draft a RB in next years class which is loaded.

1 hour ago, Nick_81 said:

I'm betting that if Wegher would have stayed the path at Iowa, this wouldn't be a debate.  Personally, I think he's got more upside than CAP.  I think he's a better RB as well, but I'm no scout.  

You could be right.  I disagree with you, but neither of us are experts, of course.

What evidence that there IS available to compare the two, however, indicates that you are more likely to be wrong though.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/cameron-artis-payne-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/brandon-wegher-1.html

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair, if that had happened, he probably wouldn't have fallen to us as an undrafted player.

And, also to be fair, if CAP had made his grades out of high school he wouldn't have had to go to JUCO before he got to sign with a big school and instead of 1600 yards in one season in the best conference in the country he could have had multiple seasons like that and then maybe he would have been a higher draft choice than the 5th round.

Ifs/buts.

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

You could be right.  I disagree with you, but neither of us are experts, of course.

What evidence that there IS available to compare the two, however, indicates that you are more likely to be wrong though.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/cameron-artis-payne-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/brandon-wegher-1.html

Yeah, I know about CAP's college stats.  He feasted at Auburn for sure.  Like I said, I'm no scout, but I just really like Wegher a lot for some reason.  Not necessarily because he did really well last year in preseason games, but how he ran when he was out there, and the way he carried himself on the field.  I think he can be a really good running back in the NFL, but also pay attention to him when he's out there.  He's like some kind of fuging animal when he has the ball.  It's that switch that people always talk about, and he just looks like a killer.  We don't have much of that on the offensive side of the ball.

Archived