• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera clears up running back speculation..

Jeremy Igo

Ron Rivera cleared up any speculation on the running backs today. 

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2016/08/09/carolina-panthers-positional-update-running-backs/

in short, Stew, Tolbert, Fozzy are locks. 

Wegher and CAP are in direct competition for that third spot

Rivera doesn't mince words here. He means this. You can take it as fact. 

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, SOJA said:

I know the Panthers love Fozz, but if you think both Wegher and CAP will turn out to be great players- you have to move on from Fozz and keep both 

I'm not saying I don't agree, I am just saying Rivera means it when he says Fozzy and Tolbert are the second string backs. 

1 minute ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

We kept all of them on the final roster last year - don't see the big deal:

RB - Stew, Fozzy, Cap, Weg
FB - Tolbert

I'd like to see 'em all back again too. IMO the jury is still out on Cap and Wegher, and nothing wrong with good RB depth. These guys get hit a lot. 

It's motivational but the coaches seem to always side with vets.

CAP's issue is ball security. Idk how that's looking in practice but it's a surefire way to hold himself back.

I just go back to the Giants game when all three were healthy. Tolbert had 5 touches, Fozzy had 4 and CAP had 16

I know the panthers like Fozzy im sure he has good intangibles but honestly I think he is capped out as far as potential and less talented than any other back on the roster, in fact he should have been cut last year for Todman. that said im just a fan with a computer,  I dont coach at any level so he can always prove me wrong. 

35 minutes ago, stbugs said:

CAP had the most touches the last 3 games without Stewart by a good margin. Again, I think it makes sense to call Fozzie/Tolbert as the #2 to Stewart because when he was healthy, it was just those 3 active. I also think that if Stewart goes down, Fozzie/Tolbert don't become the #1, I think CAP (or Wegher) would move into the #1. What RR said was absolutely true, but that doesn't mean he considers them the #1 when Stewart is inactive.

Fozzy did start vs Atlanta before he got hurt but I think you're reasoning is right and I think it makes sense. Ron seems to see the #2 RB as a position with different responsibilities than the #1.

I still don't want to see 90% of the handoffs  go to Stewart

Archived