• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cornerback depth coming into focus

Jeremy Igo

19 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Based on what though? Is it just because he's a STer, or can he play corner if we need him?

We played Colin Jones at CB and brought in Finnegan and McClain. Letting him play CB is not even in consideration.

I just don't think we can call Teddy Williams an "ace" anymore.  He was a liability more often than an asset last season.  He whiffed on some easy tackles (including one that led to a ST TD and had way too many stupid penalties.  I think we roll with 5 CB's.  If we keep 6, it will be Lou Young.

5 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins PhD said:

I would rather keep Young over Williams.  

Every fuggin game Teddy finds a way to get some obscure special teams penalty. Yea, he may be fast, but he is obviously an idiot. He had 8 penalties last year and only plays a handful of special teams plays per game!

Yeah man Teddy is a bonehead.  All last season he proved it over...and over..and over again.

18 minutes ago, ShutDwn said:

We played Colin Jones at CB and brought in Finnegan and McClain. Letting him play CB is not even in consideration.

Right, and he's not even that good of a gunner, IMO. 11 tackles vs 8 penalties is not that great of a resume, especially when some of those penalties were because he was driven out of bounds  and didn't even try to get back in. 

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

It was Colin Jones and Teddy Williams who decided not to tackle Norwood in the Super Bowl so I'm not sold on their special teams play. Young, while getting scolded for late hits in practice, did make some plays on defense when I was at practice. I think he had at least one INT and I noticed him both days. 

When can you ever go off one play? Were you around for the special teams during Rons early years? They're definitely solid.

Besides, the fair catch confusion was because of a low punt by a punter we made no effort to re-sign. 

12 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I'm not, that was the last of many. There shouldn't be fair catch confusion. The way our D was playing, that was one of a few gigantic plays.

Shaq Thompson could of decapitated Norwood....he pulled up too. That was just one of those strange plays.  It was a poor play by Norwood that turned out fantastic for him.   Just a fluke in so many ways.  I don't really give that play much thought in terms of evaluating guys as special teamers.

Colin Jones is a good special teamer.  If allowed to just be that.

6 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins PhD said:

I would rather keep Young over Williams.  

Every fuggin game Teddy finds a way to get some obscure special teams penalty. Yea, he may be fast, but he is obviously an idiot. He had 8 penalties last year and only plays a handful of special teams plays per game!

Hell yeah! All he has to do is stay in bounds, but he struggles with that. Plus, Young looks pretty god so far at camp; I read somewhere that he had picked up Josh's habit of staying after practice to catch extra ball while laying on the ground during OTA's. If he doesn't make the final roster, i at least hope there's room on the PS for him. Unless he stinks up preseason of course!

Archived