• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cornerback depth coming into focus

Jeremy Igo

12 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins PhD said:

I would rather keep Young over Williams.  

I expected to see Young's name instead of Williams. I've heard good things about the former before and during camp, and nothing about Williams. He didn't exactly impress last season either. Oh well, I don't pretend to know more about the players than the coaching staff, so I'll trust that they put the best guys on the 53.

31 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins PhD said:

I would rather keep Young over Williams.  

Every fuggin game Teddy finds a way to get some obscure special teams penalty. Yea, he may be fast, but he is obviously an idiot. He had 8 penalties last year and only plays a handful of special teams plays per game!

16 minutes ago, caatfan said:

I expected to see Young's name instead of Williams. I've heard good things about the former before and during camp, and nothing about Williams. He didn't exactly impress last season either. Oh well, I don't pretend to know more about the players than the coaching staff, so I'll trust that they put the best guys on the 53.

Um, for the record, Teddy Williams was one of our best coverage ST guys last year.  He's always the first guy down the field and it would be a huge loss for our coverage unit if he wasn't out there.  Barring injury, he's basically a lock to make this team.

I wanted to see Young make it too. I remember reading that he was doing a bunch of extra work in the off season to make himself better, and as good as Teddy Williams was on ST's, he did get a lot of dumb penalties last year. I'll trust the coaching staff though, because they see these guys every single day on and off the field.

15 minutes ago, X-Clown on 1 said:

Um, for the record, Teddy Williams was one of our best coverage ST guys last year.  He's always the first guy down the field and it would be a huge loss for our coverage unit if he wasn't out there.  Barring injury, he's basically a lock to make this team.

11 tackles...... 8 penalties.

He had the fourth most penalties on the team and wasn't a full-time starter.

3 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins PhD said:

Damn, and we still went 15-1.  Special Teams guys are very, very, important.  But, I guess he's more important than keeping a guy that probably won't get any PT over 3 rookies.  

This is so encouraging. I'm still expecting the rooks to make mistakes, even mistakes that may cost us a game or two. But the corner position may go from question mark to strength in the space of this season!

Gettlemagic baby!

@Jeremy Igo, re: Lou Young... like everyone else in this thread, I am curious where he stands in all this. Does he have a chance to unseat Williams?

41 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins PhD said:

ST is one of the easiest phases to draw penalties but that's pretty damn bad. I think we need guys like Jones and Williams but you wish he could do something at CB. Colin showed his limits but he was out of position so it's not totally on him.

I could be ok with stashing Young and keeping McClain.

Archived