• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers training camp notes and photos - Day 9

Jeremy Igo

32 minutes ago, Sncsurf said:

I know it's not popular to cut draft picks but I think Cash's upside is alot higher than David Mayo. I believe that Cash has the skill set that can transition into one of the better special team players on are team. Plus I think there is a greater chance Mayo makes it to the practice squad with out being claimed.

Mayo is a solid STer and if Cash looks good in that role during preseason, your scenario perhaps becomes more likely. AJ Klein is first off the bench at both outside and inside linebacker.

13 hours ago, ShutDwn said:

I just don't see letting go of a special teams ace with experience playing with the ones. Cash can't replace Jones' speed as a gunner.

Just how important are gunners with the new kickoff rule?  Touchback percentages will certainly rise even more...unless the rule has the opposite effect like some have speculated.

1 minute ago, Smithers said:

Just how important are gunners with the new kickoff rule?  Touchback percentages will certainly rise even more...unless the rule has the opposite effect like some have speculated.

well I was really talking about punt coverage. If they take Shaq off coverage that would open up a spot for Cash. I like the idea of having some starters on special teams but it's risky and in Shaq's case he did hurt his knee making a tackle. 

2 minutes ago, ShutDwn said:

well I was really talking about punt coverage. If they take Shaq off coverage that would open up a spot for Cash. I like the idea of having some starters on special teams but it's risky and in Shaq's case he did hurt his knee making a tackle. 

I gotcha.  I like cash and hope he sticks. But in no way do I think we need Teddy Williams.  But that's just me...

15 hours ago, stbugs said:

How many did we keep last year? We know the top 3 and I would assume Klein (lock as the top backup and because he will sign a decent $$$ deal as a FA in 2017, hence compensatory pick) and Mayo will be 4/5. Was Jacobs the only other LB? I'd think Cash is in competition with him and/or a backup S?

Right now, you've got the starting 25 (K, P and LS) that we know plus the following 10 locks:

Funchess, Brown, CAP, Addison, Anderson, Webb, Benwickere, Butler, D. Williams, Gradkowski

The following 3 rookies should be locks because we can't risk them being poached:

Sandland, Cash (IMO), Sanchez

Then we have the backup spots where maybe one makes it:

TE2 (Dickson/Simonson), DE4 (Delaire, lots), DT3 (Solai/Love), CB5 (Williams/McClain), RB3 (Fozzie/Wegher), 3 more backup OL (Scott, Yankey, Focault, etc.), S3 (Marlowe/Ball), WR5 (Norwood/Byrd)

And then the guys that I think round out the roster:

Love/Solai, 1 more DE, WR6, 1 more OL, 1 more S

So, if Cash takes over for Jacobs, he's likely on special teams as well. I've got Fozzie not on the roster, but if he is, I think it is either at the expense of WR6 or 1 more S. I forgot about Colin Jones, he could fit that 1 more S. I am thinking we may only do 5 WRs and keep Fozzie.

Why is Mayo a lock?

44 minutes ago, Camp Fodder said:

Why is Mayo a lock?

Not sure that he's a lock, but he did play well on ST last year and should be our 2nd string Middle Linebacker next season (I'd be surprised if Klein didn't get a better offer). I feel that he's pretty safe.

I think if they do cut Mayo it means that Dave plans on paying Klien close to market value. While Mayo played serviceable on special teams last year he really did not stand out as irreplaceable in my eyes. He's more suited as a back up middle linebacker.

8 minutes ago, Sncsurf said:

I think if they do cut Mayo it means that Dave plans on paying Klien close to market value. While Mayo played serviceable on special teams last year he really did not stand out as irreplaceable in my eyes. He's more suited as a back up middle linebacker.

I thought Mayo played pretty well on ST.  He made some pretty big tackles, IIRC.

Archived