• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Play of the Night - Brandon Wegher zigs and zags...

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, Panther53521 said:

As I have been saying the whole offseason ..... Fozzy is the odd man out ...... Fozzy will not be on this team in 2016

Except that Fozzy is also our #1 kick returner at the moment, so that gives him the edge, no matter what anyone on here says.

I wouldn't be so certain that he's not making the team. At this point, who else is taking kicks?

I watched CAP play at Auburn and he reminds me very much of Stew. He may not punish defenders like Stew does but he excels at bouncing off of defenders and gaining yards after contact. He doesn't have homerun threat speed but he very rarely will be tackled by just one defender. As long as he gets reps and holds onto the ball he is the best RB on this team behind Stew.

1 hour ago, Raskle said:

I wouldn't be so certain that he's not making the team

Well even though  Panther53521 seems certain, I don't think that's a universal opinion by any means. Fozzy has proven his worth, at least as a backup.  As for kick returner advantage, I don't think that's a big consideration these days. 

3 hours ago, caatfan said:

Well even though  Panther53521 seems certain, I don't think that's a universal opinion by any means. Fozzy has proven his worth, at least as a backup.  As for kick returner advantage, I don't think that's a big consideration these days. 

I am not certain fozzy is out of a job either. 

5 minutes ago, caatfan said:

Certainly he can't be the only kick returner on the squad.  Plus 85% of all kickoffs go into the end zone.  Fozzy is a good player but losing him is not going to make or break this team.   I think more believe Wegher has a higher upside than Fozzy. 

I can say this with a pretty good certainty.  Wegher pops off a long run in Pre-season if I were Fozzy's agent I would be checking out teams that need a RB.

10 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Roster building over the last few years has been good enough that we are now in the position of likely having to cut good players.

It's tough, but also a good problem to have.

Who are these good players that are going to get cut?

David Foucault. Matt Masifilo. Robert McClain. Teddy Williams. Lou Young. Rakim Cox. Arthur Miley. Larry Webster. Chas Alecxih. Eric Crume. Robert Thomas. Reese Dismukes. Tyler Larsen. Chris Scott. Jared Barber. Brian Blechen. Ben Jacobs. Jared Norris. Swayze Waters. Jalen Simmons. Scott Simonson. Marcus Ball. Travell Dixon. Trenton Robinson. Donald Hawkins. Jordan Rigsbee. Braxton Deaver. Marcus Lucas. Eric Wallace. Damiere Byrd. Laron Byrd. Avius Capers. Keyarris Garrett. Stephen Hill. Tobias Palmer. Miles Shuler.

There are 89 players on the roster. I just listed 36 players that are extremely forgettable to the NFL. Who in that group of great roster depth over the last few years would be considered a good player by any other team? Not tough at all.

In fact, you can take Brenton Bersin, Fozzy Whitaker, Kevin Norwood, Philly Brown, Mike Remmers, Colin Jones, Dean Marlowe, Mike Scifres, Jeremy Cash, David Mayo, David Yankey, Kyle Love, Mario Addison, Ryan Delaire, Wes Horton, and Gino Gradkowski off the roster and no other NFL team would likely touch any of them.

All of these players belong in the CFL, and that is where they would be if the Panthers cut all of them tomorrow.

The Panthers have 37 players on their roster worth an NFL spot. They actually need to go out and find 16 more players with value to more than just the Panthers NFL roster. If the front office used their draft wisely over the past 4 off seasons, they would have those 16 spots filled with players other NFL teams would actually want. They may have been in a position to trade some of them for future value like the Seahawks, Patriots, Cardinals, or Packers.

It is not tough, and definitely not a good problem to have.

Be thankful the Panthers still have enough of the core from the initial rebuild in 2011/2012 to carry this team.

3 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

I've never seen so much hype for a 4th string rb, if he doesn't make the team somebody got some explaining to do. 

Fred Lane in the 1997 training camp had more hype. He was behind Tim Biakabatuka, Anthony Johnson, and Winslow Oliver. Lane forced the Panthers to carry 4 RBs that season and only 1 FB. He ended up starting 7 games as a rookie and leading the team in rushing that season.

Nick Goings in his 2001 rookie season was hyped up. He made a case for himself to the point they decided to move Hoover from RB to FB. I think Wegher has a bit more hype than Goings did at the end of the Seifert era and the start of the Fox era. The fact Goings was able to stick at the bottom of the RB depth chart during a coaching change says a lot about his value/hype.

He runs violently and can also break away and get chunks. He's more like Stew if you ask me. #34 is in the mold of our last RB to wear 34.

Keep the guys with Skip and you could see Smash & Dash 2.0 in a couple years.

Wegher is a talented and to me plays a lot like #28. You gotta keep him on your roster in our traditional two back system. 

If Stew is healthy you've got to go with him though, but the future looks bright.

Having Jim Skipper working with our runningbacks for umpteen years has kept a strength very strong so I'm not worried about that position.

Now, defensive end is a whole other story.

1 hour ago, CPantherKing said:

Who are these good players that are going to get cut?

David Foucault. Matt Masifilo. Robert McClain. Teddy Williams. Lou Young. Rakim Cox. Arthur Miley. Larry Webster. Chas Alecxih. Eric Crume. Robert Thomas. Reese Dismukes. Tyler Larsen. Chris Scott. Jared Barber. Brian Blechen. Ben Jacobs. Jared Norris. Swayze Waters. Jalen Simmons. Scott Simonson. Marcus Ball. Travell Dixon. Trenton Robinson. Donald Hawkins. Jordan Rigsbee. Braxton Deaver. Marcus Lucas. Eric Wallace. Damiere Byrd. Laron Byrd. Avius Capers. Keyarris Garrett. Stephen Hill. Tobias Palmer. Miles Shuler.

There are 89 players on the roster. I just listed 36 players that are extremely forgettable to the NFL. Who in that group of great roster depth over the last few years would be considered a good player by any other team? Not tough at all.

In fact, you can take Brenton Bersin, Fozzy Whitaker, Kevin Norwood, Philly Brown, Mike Remmers, Colin Jones, Dean Marlowe, Mike Scifres, Jeremy Cash, David Mayo, David Yankey, Kyle Love, Mario Addison, Ryan Delaire, Wes Horton, and Gino Gradkowski off the roster and no other NFL team would likely touch any of them.

All of these players belong in the CFL, and that is where they would be if the Panthers cut all of them tomorrow.

The Panthers have 37 players on their roster worth an NFL spot. They actually need to go out and find 16 more players with value to more than just the Panthers NFL roster. If the front office used their draft wisely over the past 4 off seasons, they would have those 16 spots filled with players other NFL teams would actually want. They may have been in a position to trade some of them for future value like the Seahawks, Patriots, Cardinals, or Packers.

It is not tough, and definitely not a good problem to have.

Be thankful the Panthers still have enough of the core from the initial rebuild in 2011/2012 to carry this team.

I like to think someday you might be less of a loser, but I'm not holding my breath.

This schtick is old, tired, stupid and boring, but apparently it's all you have to offer.

The rest of us are enjoying a solid run of success by our favorite team. Maybe you'd be better liked if you went to a board for fans of whichever team you cheer for.

On 8/6/2016 at 0:47 PM, Mr. Scot said:

Roster building over the last few years has been good enough that we are now in the position of likely having to cut good players.

It's tough, but also a good problem to have.

It was interesting to see that Cobi Hamilton, the WR we cut to make room for the Giant Aussie Rules TE experiment Eric Wallace, was quickly signed by the Steelers.

So, yeah, even the 90th man on our roster was of interest to another team.

Archived