• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coleman vs Norwell....( Day 7 photos and notes)

Jeremy Igo

It's so nice to read about training camp on here. I was bored and clicked on a Facebook link about Panthers TC, and the comments were by Panther fans and they were awful. Most of them saying Its alarming Cam is throwing so many INTs etc. I felt like my IQ lowered a little. 

5 hours ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I can just feel the excitement building around this team even more than last year, if that makes sense. How can you not be excited about this WR corps, this younger quicker secondary, and the addition of Solei and Butler on the D-line? And I'm as serious as a heart attack about those young corners. They are all smart and they all have the physical tools to succeed...what's not to like?

Edit...forgot to mention Shaq Thompson who is poised for a breakout season.

The WR corps is filled with a bunch of receivers that can barely break 50% catching. KB is the only one to be excited about, but he needs to prove he can be consistent with his hands.

The secondary is way too inexperienced to get excited about. Concern is what surrounds this new secondary. Concern that they will negate the effectiveness of the great LB unit. They all have 3 years to develop. Until then they are a liability. None of them are equipped to make an immediate impact or outlast the rookie wall.

Soliei always gets hurt. Butler is 2 years off before he will show a sign of being able start. Until then he needs to get it together so he is not pushed around in the running game. Butler is a situational pass rusher from the DT position at best. The Panthers have two good DTs, but if either of them go down, the DL is in trouble.

You are correct about Shaq Thompson. He will be a major factor this season. He will be better in coverage than the rookie CBs.

2 hours ago, sml1950 said:

RR failed to reveal the rest of the story of the two rookie CBs.......one was Ronnie Lott who eventually moved to safety and is a HOFer.  The other was Eric Wright one of the best CBs of the eighties and a two time all pro.  If ours even halfway match their careers, we have the start of a dynasty.

Eric Wright struggled until his 3rd season. These rookies will also struggle. Maybe they develop well enough to be as good as Wright after a few seasons.

None of these rookie DBs even come close to the player Ronnie Lott was in his rookie season. Bradberry is too afraid to hit another player. Worley lacks the power to take out a large receiver. Sanchez... well that is obvious. Ronnie Lott intimidated players and dominated the receivers from his first day of training camp. Ronnie Lott was a top 10 pick for a reason. None of these DBs the Panthers have should have broken into the first 3 rounds.

Also, those rookie DBs had the leadership of an All-Pro safety Dwight Hicks to direct them and disguise the coverages for them by manipulating. These rookies do not have that caliber of leadership at safety or a safety that is capable enough to manipulate the QB pre snap.

To top it off they had one of the better pass rushing DEs in the NFL for their rookie season. The Panthers have average pass rushing DEs.

Not even remotely the same situation.

10 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

The WR corps is filled with a bunch of receivers that can barely break 50% catching. KB is the only one to be excited about, but he needs to prove he can be consistent with his hands.

The secondary is way too inexperienced to get excited about. Concern is what surrounds this new secondary. Concern that they will negate the effectiveness of the great LB unit. They all have 3 years to develop. Until then they are a liability. None of them are equipped to make an immediate impact or outlast the rookie wall.

Soliei always gets hurt. Butler is 2 years off before he will show a sign of being able start. Until then he needs to get it together so he is not pushed around in the running game. Butler is a situational pass rusher from the DT position at best. The Panthers have two good DTs, but if either of them go down, the DL is in trouble.

You are correct about Shaq Thompson. He will be a major factor this season. He will be better in coverage than the rookie CBs.

Eric Wright struggled until his 3rd season. These rookies will also struggle. Maybe they develop well enough to be as good as Wright after a few seasons.

None of these rookie DBs even come close to the player Ronnie Lott was in his rookie season. Bradberry is too afraid to hit another player. Worley lacks the power to take out a large receiver. Sanchez... well that is obvious. Ronnie Lott intimidated players and dominated the receivers from his first day of training camp. Ronnie Lott was a top 10 pick for a reason. None of these DBs the Panthers have should have broken into the first 3 rounds.

Also, those rookie DBs had the leadership of an All-Pro safety Dwight Hicks to direct them and disguise the coverages for them by manipulating. These rookies do not have that caliber of leadership at safety or a safety that is capable enough to manipulate the QB pre snap.

To top it off they had one of the better pass rushing DEs in the NFL for their rookie season. The Panthers have average pass rushing DEs.

Why don't you take your negative attitude somewhere else? Nobody here cares what you think.

7 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

You were on Facebook talking about how concerning it was that Cam was throwing interceptions,  weren't you? 

If the panthers won the superbowl this next season toy would spend the next off season complaining that they didn't win by enough. 

Some people can't see the forest because their head is up their ass. Or something like that. 

On the battle for backup LB for special teams.. Two vets and a rookie. 

Herm was on Mike n Mike yesterday and said that if a camp battle is close, coaches almost always go for youth. He says he tells vets "don't let it be close" because he knows if its close week one, the young player will be better come week 8. Makes sense. I don't know that this particular philosophy rings true with Rivera but still it gives hope for those pulling for Cash.

9 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I'll just never understand Rivera's infatuation with putting Bene at nickel.  Obviously he knows infinitely more about building an NFL defense than I, but to my eyes Bene has always been significantly better outside than at nickel.

He has been and he got too much poo for playing slot last year. But he's definitely the best option we have at a critical position. I'd rather have a vet inside than a rookie.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 7:38 AM, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Why don't you take your negative attitude somewhere else? Nobody here cares what you think.

Glad you said it..... Good God you would think we were 6-10 last year the way he was talking. 

I have no clue what he meant by 50% catching.  I guess he was saying they only caught 50% of the passes.  Funchess is coming out of the clouds or heading into them depending on how you want to perceive it.  Either way it is good. Ginn is dangerous as hell and Brown is right there with him.  There have been many good receivers throughout history that had drops.  While we all hope he improves his drop ratio.  His speed alone makes defenses cringe.

Just to remind some of you.  Norman has always been a talent.  He just couldn't follow direction. He couldn't understand his role.  He thought he had to make the play every time. Bradberry and Worley seem to be much better at listening and learning.  Leadership in the back end.  Coleman should have been a Pro Bowler period.  He understands our concept and is a PERFECT leader for the secondary.  You don't have to be a grandfather DB to be a leader.   Harper was a good leader but watch and see.  Coleman will rule the roost as far a leadership goes.

Butler has the honor of playing with 3 defensive linemen that have been pro bowler or should be.  He doesn't have to play the whole game.  Fresh and young is going to help him.

All in All I think this team has improved from last year.   While I don't expect 15-1 I do expect to see the playoffs and a deep run into them.

Dude needs to wear some Rose Colored Glasses just so the doom and gloom isn't so bad.   I have never understood those type of fans.   It is cool to think realistic but to make is sound so damn negative is just a shiity attitude for a team that just fell one game short of the biggest trophy in all of sports.

Archived