• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Speed Kills - back to back touchdowns

Jeremy Igo

If both these occurred during the first 2 min drill session of camp, then I can understand why the rookies struggled a little. 

On the 2nd, you can't really blame Worley for getting beat by Byrd on a fly route... Coleman should be there to help but Cam may have done a great job looking him off before the throw.

8 minutes ago, Smithers said:

"Ten times out of ten, that will be a touchdown for the Carolina Panthers, as no defensive player on the team has the speed to catch up with the lightning quick Ginn."

Sorry, but in a game Ginn would drop 5 of those 10.  

You forgot the sentence that precedes what you're quoting-   "From there, nothing stood between Ted Ginn and the end zone but open turf." That means 'after the catch'.  

57 minutes ago, CatMan72 said:

I'm not sure how relevant it is to these plays, but it's also important to note that even in these fully padded drills the offense has the advantage because the QB isn't going to get hit. 

I think it's very relevant.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Did you enjoy his little bit of show boating to the rookie at the end. It made me chuckle. Like, nice try kid. 

It was great to see. For most of the day they were within 10ft of me so I witnessed how close those guys are. Also, was very impressed with CAP. O-line looked very in sync today as well. Cam was talking so much trash to the defense at one point we were all laughing.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Thank you for getting it. 

:)

Sorry, I misread.  Mistakes happen.  I at least did you the courtesy of correcting the three errors you made when "quoting" that sentence.  

:)

(sorry Igo, I just had to be a smartass back)

2 hours ago, The_Rainmaker said:

It's not like Ginn is that much bigger & he seemed to have a successful season. Also if you have lighting speed like Byrd you can make up the ground when delayed by  the jam. 

Although I agree with what you're saying on any given play, for the most part seconds do matter. During the game, Byrd is going to have to have to elude the jam at the line if he wants consistent playing time and/or to reach his potential. Precise route running begins at the line where you are in a battle to try and outwit (and sometimes out-muscle) your opponent and get into the route quickly. Timing is very import, because most of the time the QB only has a few seconds to get the ball out. Speed will help you recover at times, but if you are consistently being affected by being jammed, you can get washed out of the play before it even gets going. That's a recipe for being on the bench at best, or out of a job at worst.

The one great thing about guys who are true burners even if they are small is no one wants to jam them because if you mess it up it's a TD every single time. It's why all the speed guys get huge cushions from most corners because coaches don't trust them to actually get the jam.

Archived