• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Running Backs Update

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, imminent rogaine said:

What is your guess on preseason game #1, in terms of playing time for CAP and Wegher? Do they even play Stewart?

I'd consider sitting Stewart, and giving each, CAP and Wegs, a half to work with, sprinkling in fozzy throughout.

I only give 28 light work in games 2 and 3. 

My guess is Fozzy gets more work than you would prefer 

Last year Wegher was a mature rookie whose preseason performance basically dictated we keep him on the 53. But now he's coming off a season in which he barely played, and he's obviously another year older (26 in December). I think a lot of the shine has worn off, but he could change that with another big preseason performance. For now though I've got him on the practice squad.

21 minutes ago, jdpanther5 said:

Last year Wegher was a mature rookie whose preseason performance basically dictated we keep him on the 53. But now he's coming off a season in which he barely played, and he's obviously another year older (26 in December). I think a lot of the shine has worn off, but he could change that with another big preseason performance. For now though I've got him on the practice squad.

Do coaches and gas make decisions based on shine? Fans do for sure.

We carried 5 in the RB/FB group last year, and I don't see a newb on the roster that's going to break up the band. Rockhead had the best chance, but undrafted guys don't make the club from the tub. Wegher's safer than the gold in Fort Knox.

Playing time is a different story.

Stewie is a workhorse that can pass protect. He's the #1. Duh.

Cap is a workhorse that improved his pass protect. He's climbed to #2

Fozzy is a change of pace runner that's maybe average at pass protect. Default #3 because he got playing time last year.

Wegher could be a workhorse or change of pace, but his pass protect needs work. Competing with Fozzy for #3

Tolbert's only real competition for his FB spot is a rookie with more time in the trainer's room than on the field.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

If that is the plan, and it could be, I just assume they not play him at all in preseason for everyone else to see. 

You figure fozzy and Jstew might have one or two more years it makes sense. 

1 hour ago, csx said:

Do coaches and gas make decisions based on shine? Fans do for sure.

Not in so many words, but I do think - when it comes to bubble guys - whether or not coaches/executives think they can retain them on the practice squad does factor in.

To be clear, "shine" was meant to be in reference to how he is viewed across the league (last year tearing up preseason vs. now after sitting all year) and not for our team in particular. He would've certainly been picked up had he been cut last year, but now I'm not as sure.

5 hours ago, csx said:

It could be he didn't progress as they hoped. I don't think it's the case but it's possible.

It could be just not having the bandwidth on our 53 roster for a RB that isn't going to play. I think that we keep extra secondary players this season that we didn't have to last season (not exactly an original idea). There's a good argument to keep an extra DE as well as we have several back ups still fighting for a spot, and Ron likes to keep fresh bodies rotating in, although not as much as the DT position.

5 hours ago, beastson said:

Im waiting to see the WR update. Body wise, Kevin Norwood looks like Cotchery. If he could block and be sure handed (SB aside) I'm wondering if he'll make the team. It's a stretch though due to us having too many WRs. Crazy how fast things change

Norwood looked damned good on Monday! He caught everything that came his way.

But then again, so did Ed Dickson...and it's camp.

11 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

It could be just not having the bandwidth on our 53 roster for a RB that isn't going to play. I think that we keep extra secondary players this season that we didn't have to last season (not exactly an original idea). There's a good argument to keep an extra DE as well as we have several back ups still fighting for a spot, and Ron likes to keep fresh bodies rotating in, although not as much as the DT position.

I agree. Unless they change the typical recipe we usually use then I think he makes it. There isn't anyone really to challenge him unless Rockhead gets healthy and performs in some unexpected fashion. 

The fact he made it last year doesn't guarantee anything but that they didn't bring in any real challengers does.

2 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

does anyone else not care about the 3rd string rb?

I care about all the Panther players.

The only one's I can frankly admit I care "more" about than others are players that come from my college alma mater.  All the players outside of that?  Like'em all equally.

Archived