• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Running Backs Update

Jeremy Igo

Betting the coaches are giving more and better reps to those running backs that their coach's eyes tell them will be more productive in their NFL offense.

I mean, that's what they do at all the other positions, right?  So running backs should be no different?

I believe they earn first team rep by impressing people like Jim Skipper. He's been an NFL running back coach since 1986. I would assume he has some instincts regarding things like this as well as a process.

As a fan I'd love to see it, obviously.

14 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

From your mouth to coach's ears. Really, there is no reason NOT to give him some first team reps in preseason. It isn't like the game counts, and Stew will need the rest. 

What is your guess on preseason game #1, in terms of playing time for CAP and Wegher? Do they even play Stewart?

I'd consider sitting Stewart, and giving each, CAP and Wegs, a half to work with, sprinkling in fozzy throughout.

I am taking everything with a grain of salt on these bubble guys until we see some game action. 

As for Wegher specifically, Rivera explicitly said that they did not want to place him on the PS last year because in their estimation (which may be more) he'd be poached. I just don't see it changing this year unless someone at the receiver position eclipses his value in Rivera's mind (perhaps Byrd, Garrett or Deaver, the first two not making a whole lotta noise so far). We'll see what transpires throughout the month.

5 minutes ago, caatfan said:

So he was good enough for a roster spot last season but isn't now? I'd say that prediction is premature. He's likely to be one of the last to get a decision. 

It could be he didn't progress as they hoped. I don't think it's the case but it's possible.

10 minutes ago, csx said:

It could be he didn't progress as they hoped. I don't think it's the case but it's possible.

I think they'll give him a good look before making a decision. Just doesn't make sense to me to carry him on the roster last year without a good test run in this year's preseason.

2 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

unfortunate. I think a lot of us were looking forward to seeing what he can bring. Not playing is a sure fire way to not make the squad. I suppose with that signing bonus, we'll see him either IRed or on the PS.

Yeah,  I forgot about that bonus. His pre-roster spot is probably safe (until Billy B comes a knocking)...Come to think of it, Belichick would probably love to get Wegher.

Im waiting to see the WR update. Body wise, Kevin Norwood looks like Cotchery. If he could block and be sure handed (SB aside) I'm wondering if he'll make the team. It's a stretch though due to us having too many WRs. Crazy how fast things change

2 minutes ago, beastson said:

Im waiting to see the WR update. Body wise, Kevin Norwood looks like Cotchery. If he could block and be sure handed (SB aside) I'm wondering if he'll make the team. It's a stretch though due to us having too many WRs. Crazy how fast things change

Norwood  caught a TD yesterday in 7 on 7. I think that a lot of people forget about him, myself included. Might not wanna do that...

Archived