• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers notes and photos - Day 5

Jeremy Igo

8 hours ago, Seltzer said:

I haven't heard anything on Dean Marlowe. Anyone have any insight? Team obviously thought enough of him not to risk him to waivers last year, but haven't heard anything good or bad yet this year.

Filled in at SS yesterday with first string. 

12 hours ago, caatfan said:

I wouldn't write off Deaver yet.

I'm predicting it will be Olsen, Sandland, and Simonson.  Deaver to the PS.  Dickson has done very little since being here.  He's one of those guys that impresses in practice, but then disappears during an actual game...*cough Armanti *clears throat, excuse me. 

On 8/1/2016 at 8:08 PM, KB_fan said:

Don't forget about David Mayo in that list.  Given that we could be saying goodbye to AJ, Mayo could become increasingly important as depth at MLB.

Why would we be saying goodbye to AJ?  He has been a solid rotational guy.  If any LB deserves to be cut, it's Jacobs. 

11 hours ago, The Lone Panther said:

I'm predicting it will be Olsen, Sandland, and Simonson.  Deaver to the PS.  Dickson has done very little since being here.  He's one of those guys that impresses in practice, but then disappears during an actual game...*cough Armanti *clears throat, excuse me. 

Yeah, according to Jeremy, Deaver looks to be headed to the PS, but he also says that Dickson is looking good, with some nice plays so far. Sandland may bump Simonson off the roster. He got in about half the games last year, but only 1 catch. I guess they could keep 4 TE's. Also intrigued by Wallace.

On 8/3/2016 at 1:29 AM, The Lone Panther said:

Why would we be saying goodbye to AJ?  He has been a solid rotational guy.  If any LB deserves to be cut, it's Jacobs. 

On 8/3/2016 at 3:22 AM, stbugs said:

I would bet he means saying goodbye post 2016 when AJ is an UFA. I agree that Klein likely signs a starter type deal next off season with another team. Klein isn't getting cut.

Sorry it's taken me awhile to reply.  I was offline most of the last 2 days due to the wear & tear of international travel from Africa to CLT.   Nice to be back in the QC.

Yes, stbugs understood what I meant.  I love AJ and hope we keep him around after this season, but he's a free agent at the end of this year, and he's good enough to start for most teams in the league.  I tend to think our front office might not stand in his way to pursue that opportunity / might not be willing to pay starter's money for a backup.

So, with that in mind, if Klein is possibly leaving after the 2016 season, keeping Mayo around makes sense, grooming him as potential backup depth at MLB for the future.

Archived